Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

cv joint ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv joint ?

i thought that i had a cv joint going out but i looked at it last night and they are not missed up as far as i could see from the boot being off. problem is that the band was off and mud got on the cv joint(started poping sound) and there was no grease on the joint.
could i just clean the joint and regrease it or do i need to put a new joint in it. it all looks fine to me. thanks for the help..

Old 10-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default cv joint ?

yes you can put a new boot on + regrease.use brake clean and clean well.also scrutenize the joint to make sure there is no play,force it hard at diff angles.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default cv joint ?

thank you for getting back.. i have another question.. the boot is fine. the band on the wheel side was missing that is why it got mud in it. so in order to regease it and put the boot back on do i have to remove the wheel and hub.
i put the bike on a jack stand with the tires off the ground lastnight and moved the tires all around and did not see anything wrong with the joint (but alot of mud) or boot (missing band that holds it down).

Old 10-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default cv joint ?

as long as your able to COMPLETLY clean+grease,there is no need to remove anything.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default cv joint ?

I'd be real careful with that. I don't think you could clean that well enough with out taking it off the bike and flushing it in a parts cleaner or at the least a bucket of solvent. Any grit in there is going to tear up a CV joint.
I'd get the joint completely removed so you can clean and inspect it.
That's one project that i wouldn't do half a job on. CV joints are expensive. That's about a 2 hour job.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default cv joint ?

thank you.. thats what i needed to know.. i guess i will start taking it apart because i looked up a cv joint and it was around $150.00 a piece. wow. any pictures that will help me take it all apart?
what all do i need to take off to get the cv joint out?

Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default cv joint ?

i've done it twice,right on the bike cleaned well+ greased,still good,but depends how good you can work in close quarters...

Old 10-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default cv joint ?

Do a search back in the past month on the topic in the polaris forum. Me and a couple of other guys went through just the same as what you are doing.
Any questions just ask. Dig in. Nothing you shouldn't be able to do yourself. I had a second set of hands at one point.
Deerkiller

Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default cv joint ?

thanks for the help it will save me alot of time and money in the end if i can fix it myself.. thanks again..

Old 11-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default cv joint ?

hey there, i have changed quite a few cv joints and boots... just to let you know if you are hearing a clicking or a noise from the joint its probably no good... what happens is when you poke a hole or ripe the boot or in your case lose a clamp mud and dirt gets in there and turns the grease into lapping compound... liquid sand paper and wears in there... if you have no grease in there at all then its been this for a while now... im not saying you cant save it but i have had too different machine brought to me with the same problem and the joint was to worn to save... it doesnt take alot the for ***** inside the joint to wear and became loose... the clicking that you are hearing so from the ***** and the cage around them catching on the inside of the housing...

as for taking out the shaft, its not that hard... it looks harder then it really is... my friend has a 700 and we did his about a yr a go... my memory not that great but here are some steps that might help you take it out the shaft to make it easier to work on...

im assuming that its the front one you are working on, if its the back one let me know and ill give you some steps for that too... the back should be easier then the front it will prbably take you about an hour, but once you have done it wont take you more the 20 minutes
1) jack it up and take off your wheel

2) remove your break assembly (if you have one up there)

3) unhook the tie rod end ( take out the cotter key, just loosen the nut off the bottom tie rod end, unscrew it most to the way off and use a hammer and hit the nut to straight up to pop the tie rod free... its on a taper... then remove the nut and the tied rod... DO NOT loosen the tie rod end from the tie rod and you will simply be able to just bolt it back together and it wont mess up your alinement.)

4) remove the nut on the end of the cv shaft ( its going to be extremely tight you are going to need alot of leverage to break it free!!!) idk the torque specs but its up there

5) pull out the cotter key and take off the castle nut from the lower a-arm and use a hammer or pickle fork to pop the a-arm off the ball joint... (it to is on a taper)

6) you have to go inside the front tool box and remove the cap covering the top of the struat... using two wrenches ( i thinks its a 3/8 and a 3/4, im not 100% sure) take the nut off the top of the struat...

7) at this point you should be able to remove the whole struat assembly as one off the end ot the cv shaft

8) the cv shaft has a circlip that holds it into the gear box... to get it out all you have to do is put a set of vise grips on it on the shaft and hit the vise grips with a hammer and it will pop right out... or just simple give it a good enough tug with your hands and you might be able to pull it out...( i dont recommend sticking anything between the gear box and the cv shaft to remove it... ( like a screw driver) there should be a seal in there and you dont want to damage it...

well i know this info probably isnt 100% of what you need but i hope that it helps you out... polaris' are some of the easiest machines to work on

once you get apart and cleaned ( you will probably have to take the joint its self apart to get it cleaned good enough... YOU CAN NOT HAVE ANY DIRT IN THERE AT ALL!!! other wise you be right back in the same situation) then you can try to regrease it but im pretty sure once you have it back together it wont take long for you to hear that noise again... just remember its clicking in there for a reason...

if you go to "World of Powersports.com" and click of "Shop for repair parts" and then "polaris atvs" then chose your yr and make and it will give you the break down on ever part of your machine...

well buddy good luck and if you need anything just let me know... i have replaced a few shafts for some friends... its not as bad (other then the cost of them LOL) as it looks... LOL for as this response it i just hope soem it helps

good luck again

Quick Reply: cv joint ?