Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Polaris XP

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Polaris XP

Im thinking of trading mine in and getting a new one.

After looking at where the winch is im unsure.

I have enough winch issues as it is.

If your stuck in some serious mud have fun digging out the winch.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Polaris XP

I would rather have to dig through the mud to get at the winch than having the rad plugged with mud and have the machine overheat everytime you venture into the mud. That's just my opinion though.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New Polaris XP

I think you could leave slack in the cable and bring the hook up to the top of the rack before entering the deep soupy stuff. Then if you need it it's right there and the switch is already handlebar mounted.

Most winches are waterproof. I know the Warns are.

I think of it this way, would you rather have the RADIATOR mounted higher or lower? And I prefer to have it higher.

Mounted lower it can get plugged-up with tall grass pollen, seeds, ect. In the trails it's more likely to get puntured by a stick, stump, boulder, and the obvious driving in the deep water unknowns and mud.

We all know that a Popo can overheat on the trails as a result of a plugged radiator. And most of us don't carry pressurized water with us! LOL!

Therefore, I like the new design. And the winches I've owned (all the Warn brand names) have never failed.

The Polaris brand made in China (not built be Warn for Popo) IS pure junk! I owned 2 of those and NOTHING but trouble! (If you buy the Polaris winch, make sure you buy the right one.)

enough rambling 4 now! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good to see you back on the forum 2Blue!

~MT

Old 10-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Polaris XP

i have a tow rope hooked to the front and back everytime we go out. its all about being prepared for what the world is going to throw at you. think about what could happen then prepare for worse [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] the winch being more towards the bottom will give you better pulling power then being on top, lower center of gravity

Old 10-31-2008, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Polaris XP

Much better having the winch down low instead of the rad. Think of it this way; when you're stuck in a mud hole in allmost all cases what you attach your winch to is higher than where you're stuck. With the winch low you have more LEVERAGE to pull and lift at the same time!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Polaris XP

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rancher55

Much better having the winch down low instead of the rad. Think of it this way; when you're stuck in a mud hole in allmost all cases what you attach your winch to is higher than where you're stuck. With the winch low you have more LEVERAGE to pull and lift at the same time!</end quote></div>

lol a non waterproof winch? thats like having a non waterproof raincoat

Old 10-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Polaris XP

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: shank0668

Much better having the winch down low instead of the rad. Think of it this way; when you're stuck in a mud hole in allmost all cases what you attach your winch to is higher than where you're stuck. With the winch low you have more LEVERAGE to pull and lift at the same time!</end quote></div>

lol a non waterproof winch? thats like having a non waterproof raincoat</end quote></div>
I didn't say anything about waterproof or non waterproof winches just my opinion about the functionallity of the lower placement of the winch! I don't live in or ride in, swamp land 98% of the time. I live where we get maybe 12 to 14" of rain in a year!LOL!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Range Rover
Default New Polaris XP

I have had issues with polaris winches (a matter of fact the machine is sitting in the shop right now getting fixed)

I have been stuck before up over the winch never alone having the winch another foot lower. Im just not sure i like this.

Yes its better to have the bigger and higher rad but they should have incorperated the winch higher..But thats just my 2 cents [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Polaris XP

Only so much room there. Unless they put the rad up on the rack like some guys do, or mount it external, there isn't room to get the winch any higher. How about designing a bumper/brush guard like we use on our trucks to mount the winch to?. It would take some engineering but it looks possible. It would have to be fairly light due to how far forward the weight would be. Probably wouldn't block the rad much more than the PIAA lights they sell for it. lol Youy could bolt it to the frame at the bottom(where the fangs bolt) then you would need to design an upper mount that found it's way to the frame, not that alum hoop.
It wouldn't be for everyone, but I bet the swimmers would like it.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New Polaris XP

With the winch low you have more LEVERAGE to pull and lift at the same time!</end quote></div>

BINGO! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: New Polaris XP