Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

hole in front differential

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hole in front differential

I have a new 08' 400ho sportsman. And I am very pleased with it.
I just did the first oil change at 17hours, just checking it out when I noticed a 3/8" hole in the upper rear of the front differential, just in front or the steering knuckles.
When you look inside you can see a brass threated part. I'm thinking this is supposed to be pluged.
I check with the dealer and they hadn't heard of this, so we check another 400 on the floor and it's the same way.
Well the dealer and I are both concerned of water and dirt getting into this. So they call Polaris and they are told "It is designed this way as a vent. The air pressure should keep out dirt, and you would have to get into really deep water, to get water into it." Give me a break. This is only about 2'' higher than the foot boards, and what about washing it.
It's hard for me to beleave as well as they have sealed this machine up they would leave somthing like this open.
I will be installing a vent tube this weekend. And the dealer agrees I should.
I would be glad to here any opinions about this.
Thanks,
dana345

Old 11-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

Mine has a vent tube that runs up the steering stem to just below the handelbars, they should look at te other machines on the floor, 500,s 800,s and run the vent for you,

Old 11-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

Maybe Polaris misunderstood the dealer and assumed there was a vent hose as Kerbbirds described. If so, then their response makes sense.

The vent is necessary. If the unit was 100% sealed then as it built up heat, the expanding air would blow out the seals. Conversely, when you hit water the unit is cooled and the condensing air creates a suction that will actually pull water in. If you go online and look at a parts diagram for your unit you will see under Drive Train- Front Gearcase Mounting, that there is a 1/4 fuel line attached to a fitting on the top of the unit. It says fuel line but it is actually the vent line and the material is probably the same material used for the fule line. I can't find a part number for the fitting but it is clearly present in the diagram. The parts diagram for my 500 HO is the same. No actual part number listed for the fitting but it's there.

You should have a fitting and a vent line that terminates up under the gas tank or insturment pod.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

+1 on what miande said. It is on the IPB,no part numbers listed for the fitting as it is part of the gear case housing assy for Polaris' purposes. Maybe because it is a standard NPT nipple fitting? Or maybe because it is a pressed in tube? Had to look it up as I couldn't beleive Polaris would not run a vent line on the 400. Maybe the person from Polaris misunderstood, or was not too bright. l just looked at the one on the rear of my 850, the tube is pressed in on that one. But with you description that it is threaded maybe it is an NPT fitting on the 400. Either way Polaris should warranty that, dealer probabaly would have to remove the case if it is a press fitting. And if the other one is the same way they probably shlould run a TSB to have them checked. That or they will be replacing some front gear cases soon. Doesn't take much water at all to ruin a ring and pinion gear set.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

The hole it's self is not threaded, I could just see a threaded shaft inside.
We checked the shop manual at my dealer, it showed a hole with no nipple or tube.
I thought I would check to see if a nipple off a 500 will fit.
thanks,
dana345

Old 11-01-2008, 08:02 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Good post. I'll check my 400HO AND my Hawkeye too.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

i dont know much but that dont sound right to me. you should put a tube on it

Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

Good post. I'll check my 400HO AND my Hawkeye too.</end quote></div>

Both machines have the hole but no line or fitting.

Maybe thats why they tell you in the 400HO manual, page 62, not to go in water deeper than the bottom of the footwells. Go Figure.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Good post. I'll check my 400HO AND my Hawkeye too.</end quote></div>

Both machines have the hole but no line or fitting.

Maybe thats why they tell you in the 400HO manual, page 62, not to go in water deeper than the bottom of the footwells. Go Figure.</end quote></div>

They tell you the same thing in the 800 Manual about going footwell deep. The Polaris parts breakdown for the '08 400 shows the fitting, hose and hose clamp. If it was me I would raise HELL,lol....but really, that needs to be fixed. And if Polaris is KNOWINGLY sending machines out like that it would really change my whole prospective of Polaris, that would be pure ridiculous!! Once more,why would they show the proper parts and way in the IPB but not send machines out that way???
That is not acceptable for an ATV period IMO. I hope this is some sort of explainable oversight. I'm sure it is, I can't see Polaris doing something that dumb on purpose.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:43 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Lets keep each other informed of any fixes, parts, or solutions to this F' Up.

Quick Reply: hole in front differential