Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CV Boot Replacement

Old 11-09-2008, 12:49 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boot Replacement

I am in the middle of replacing a front CV boot on an 04 Sportsman. I purchased an aftermarket boot (Gambit brand) because all the Polaris dealers were out of the OEM boot. The grease was darker and had a heavier weight (thicker) than the grey grease that was already in the joint. Has anyone ever used aftermarket boots with the thicker/darker grease?

Should I clean out the grease and install the POLARIS BRAND?

I am at a stand still because the clamps that came in the kit were JUNK. I broke one so I am waiting to go get another at NAPA after church (I hope they have one).

I WILL NEVER USE an AFTERMARKET CV BOOT again. The clamps are a joke.

I am considering starting over with a POLARIS boot but this will add a week of downtime because the dealer said they would have to order one.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm more of a car/motorcycle mechanic than ATV, but depending on just how thick the grease is, you shouldn't have much of a problem. I've greased car and motorcycle parts with 18-wheeler grease growing up (my grandfather lived close by and drove an 18-wheeler) and have never had any problems. Black, Red (jelly-like), and gray grease are usually pretty interchangeable. I wouldn't go and substitute black grease for white grease or marine grease though.

Cheers!

(Again, I usually work on cars and motorcycles - I'm not sure about ATV's sensitivity.. but from a mechanics standpoint, you're fine)

Old 11-09-2008, 01:02 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

This grease was close to the viscoisty of chasis grease the type you us on U Joints/ball joints.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, you should be fine. I'm going to go double check my book for ATV's, though. 2 min and I'll edit/repost for you.

EDIT: Yeah, just like I thought. It's interchangeable for ATV's, too. If you're really worried about it you can go get some Mobile or Conoco grease.. just as long as it's NLGI 2 grade.

NLGI #2 (GLC) is the preferred choice for medium to high ambient temperatures, sleeve type bushings, high shock loading environments, wet environments and wheel bearings and other automotive applications.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

go and get the cv boot butter,you can even get it at auto places,in winter the other will be like caramel,no lubricating properties what-so-ever....

Old 11-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Really? I've never had an issue. But like I said, I work on larger vehicles that get much more use. And my book says that nlgi (which is pretty much standard) is what to replace it with.. mind you my book only goes to '95. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Trailblazer

I'm with you Weedy, I'll never use an aftermarket boot again either. I replaced a boot last week and wnet through three different brands of aftermarket boots before I finally gave up and went with the OEM. I did not trust the fit on the aftermarkets. They all seemed to be just slightly too big and would not tighten sufficiently.