Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brand new 07 sportsman 800

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brand new 07 sportsman 800

Well just my luck, finally got the o.k for the new 800 so I picked it up tonight, take it for a ride and 4 miles later it's gotta go back to the shop. I stopped in the woods to switch into low and it stalls. Crank and crank and nothing. Let it sit a couple minutes and it fires up, so I come back home. Pull it into the shed and it's smoking smells like a mix of oil, plastic and gas. Wondered if I should get a fire extinguisher. Well I'm looking around and pull the side panel and it's starting to melt like I was well aware of and while I'm looking I see something in the airbox drain. Pull the seat and airbox and it's full of a black liquid. Looks like a mix of gas and oil (smells like it to). Pull the filter and its soaked, the bottom is all black like oil soaked. So I take some pics and load it back up on the trailer for it's ride back to the dealer. Curse of the Rowe luck. Now I love Sportsman but every new one I buy I have had to take back the very next day for them to fix something. I know we'll get it worked out but damn what a downer!!

My question to you guys is what the hell would have caused that? Has it ever happened to any of you? Are there any service bulletins for this model? Any advice you could give me would be great. I have been looking over the 800 posts for quite sometime but don't remeber reading anything like whats happened to me. Thanks guys!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only advice i have is to put heat rap on the exhaust to stop the melting of the palstic.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Pull the dip stick and see if it shows over full and smells of gasoline. Hard to say an 07 has to have been sitting for quite some time. Only thing I can think of is an injector sticking open and flooding the crankcase with fuel?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Oil looks good on the stick and is clean. Still the nice carmel color but in the box it is black. Taking it in first thing in the morning!!!! Keep em coming....

Old 11-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

I wonder if there is a blockage somewhere...With only 4 miles........If the oil is not flowing...ex. plugged oil filter or oil line, The pressure line off the top of the tank will push the oil out into the airbox(or slit in top hose)........But with only 4 miles that oil in there should be the same color........Caper.........Keep us posted please....

Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

High vacuum in the airbox plus too much oil in case can do it. My Hawkeye did it on a long, slow, steep climb where the engine Rpm was high and forward speed was low for a longer than normal time.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Next time you buy a new one ride it around their lot for the day since you know you're going to have to bring it back anyway after something malfunctions! LOL! Or, go for a short ride with someone else who is prepared to tow you back.....sorry, no help, but couldn't resist. You must have the same luck as me, so I know the feeling very well! Good to know I'm not the only cursed atv fan out here!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Did you have it standing up??? That will cause oil to run it the airbox. If enough gets in there to soak the filter then it will cause it to flood out and that would make the gas smell.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

my 05 800 melted the plastic and the seat. I think its a common problem with the 800. The two exhaust run to close to the plastic on the right side. I found that if i keep my air filter changed it doesn't get hot. i i dont know why you have gas and oil in your air box but i would say that your filter being wet is why it got hot. A wet filter doesn't let as much air in causing the engine to use more fuel, in turn raises exhaust temps. Just my theory. Does this make sense to anyone?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Heres some pics. Not sure if it will work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32297166@N08/

Quick Reply: Brand new 07 sportsman 800