Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 sportsman efi

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 sportsman efi

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tgello

i tried that. did not see a change. it is intermitant. i think it is a sensor or computer issue. it scares me that polaris does not have a clue either. i would love to dump this thing and get a different machine. the whole lemon law thing does not help for non registered motor vehicles. i will probably bring it back to the dealer once more and if the problem can't be fixed i will see if they or polaris will buy it back, which i doubt. it just sucks that it is a 1hr.45 min ride one way just to have them call me back and say it is all set. the sad thing about this is the machine is my wife's and she just uses it around the property to do gardening and rip around abit. maybe it needs a good thrashing!! i look forward to any help...thank you</end quote></div>
I doubt the computer or sensor could make it idle that high without either the throttleblade sticking or an intake/vacuum leak. If the computer leaned the muxture and advanced the timing significantly maybe,but even then I'd be suprised. But it is strange you can turn it off and restart it and it's fine?
BTW you said when sitting,what happens in gear?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

it reacts the same. if the idle is high you can't get it in or out of gear. off of idle the machine runs fine.it is just that little problem of being able to stop and have the machine idle at a normal rpm.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

When it idles properly does the idle just jump up or does it stay high after an application of the throttle? Does it only do it when warm or when cold or does that matter?

Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

seems to stay up after a ride and when you come to a stop , so i guess it is when you apply the throttle. also it seems to be when you take it for a ride. i don't know how warm the machine is.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider

Really sounds like a sticking throttle doesn't it? Bare with me. Does it run crappy when it does this,like reduced power ect? If it is idleing at 3000 RPM and you had it in gear it would be hard to get stopped without switching it off,but if the throttle is sticking the Electronic Throttle control is supposed to "limit power". This will also kill the engine and prevent it from idleing sometimes. So what happens when you are riding and it "sticks"? How do you get it stopped?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

no , when you are riding it there is no indication of any problem until you come to a complete stop and then it is either idling high or almost not at all. it never does the same thing twice.it is so erattic , it drives you nuts. we can't pin it down to one certain type of operation. sometimes when you are driving slow and steady , other times when you are on the throttle somewhat hard and then come to a hard stop. the dealer drove it around the lot for quite some time on different occasions and could not get it to do it.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

If it was idleing at 3K it would be hard to get it to stop as the belt would be engaged and driving you forward. So I'm confused.If it is idleing aT 3K and isn't trying to pull in gear then that is really weird. If the idle is erratic tight valves can cause that. Extremely high has to be a vacuum leak or stuck throttle blade IMO,which can be intermitten.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

HEY TLC! can owners buy that program and install it on their laptop. or is it just for dealers?

id love to fool around with my gas/fuel mixtur, rev limit, maybe even timing if needed.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

its probably best that i dont tho. dont really want a ticking time bomb

Old 11-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: badazz400

HEY TLC! can owners buy that program and install it on their laptop. or is it just for dealers?

id love to fool around with my gas/fuel mixtur, rev limit, maybe even timing if needed.[img][/img]

its probably best that i dont tho. dont really want a ticking time bomb</end quote></div>
"
It's Polaris' "Digital Wrench". Pretty sure it's dealer only. But you know how that goes.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can download Polaris digital wrench free if you're into bit torrents.

Quick Reply: 500 sportsman efi