Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

DOWN HILL ACCENDING

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOWN HILL ACCENDING

max, here's a way to tell if your ADC is working. Try this on a flat road like in front of your house. Ride with ADC in the OFF position, hold a steady 15 mph and when you get to your mailbox, or the start of your driveway or other fixed point, chop the throttle and let it coast to a stop. Mark where the ATV came to rest and then do the same thing again but with ADC in the ON position this time. If ADC is working, the ATV should stop well short of where it stopped with ADC off. Don't worry if the road in front of your house is level, ADC will kick in whether you're going up, down, or level.

Please let us know what you come up with.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer

That's a good idea guys, I'll try that. It would be handy on hills like these.

There is a possibility that I have an "Idle Position" on my 500 EFI. Mine was stalling at idle and then I learned to adjust the throttle cable. But sometimes I have to adjust a few times a day while riding, sometimes it stalls and sometimes I have it idling too high. So the only way it idles is by adjust the cable. I'm wondering if that could be why I can't tell the difference with ADC on or not. Maybe it thinks I'm giving it some gas.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

You shouldn't have to adjust the cable that often. The cable doesn't control the idle but if too loose the electronic throttle control will kick in an cause it to not idle. If it is too tight like you said it will think you are applying throttle and not turn on ADC. The cable adjustment procedure calls for removing the ETC cover and adjuting the gap. This isn't the manual's procedure but it has always worked well for me. If it is too tight loosen it until the idle speed stops dropping. If the idle speed doesn't come down to normal before the engine dies then the idle needs to be adjusted. If it does settle out at a normal idle tighten it just until the rpms start to climb back up and then back it off a half turn or so. Blip the throttle and make sure it comes back to the proper idle. Then turn the handle bars full left and full right to ensure the idle remains unchanged. If the idle increases in one direction(on the 800 it increases as you turn the bars left as that is when the cable is pulled the tightest) repeat the adjustment with the handle bars in that position. The goal it to have the cale loose enough that the throttle arm touches the stop screw but not so loose as to activate the ETC.
As for ADC you can switch it one while desending a hill at an idle and you should feel it kick in,it feels like when you lighly apply the brakes.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>WHEN I SLOWLY ASCEND DOWN A STEP HILL THE FRONT AXLE SEAMS TO DISENGAGE ONLY ALLOWING THE REAR TO BRAKE AND MOST OF THE TIME IT IS SLIDING CAUSING A NEAR OUT OF CONTROL </end quote></div>

The brakes will slow or even lock up the front disk breaks easily. I really get confused with people who expect hands free, steep hill Acceding.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I just took my new Grizz 700 for a ride this weekend and what I can say is that the engine braking on it 10x better than my 04 Sportsman I have. There is no wheel slippiage at all going down a hill that is all shale rock, you feel as if you allways are in controll of the machine vs the other way around!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for this tip , (" The cable adjustment procedure calls for removing the ETC cover and adjuting the gap.") High Octane, I will do this and see how it works.

DODGE57HEMI, I agree, that's definitly something I like about my Grzzly 450 better than the Polaris, the engine braking. Overall, I think you get more for the money with Polaris ATVs, but I like 4WD better than AWD. All my motorcycles are Yamaha.
Maybe if I can get my ADC right, it will be better. However, my wife has the 400 with no ADC, sometime I worry about her on some monster downhills, but she loves it and wants no part of the BIG ATV's. It is fast and nimble.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

However, my wife has the 400 with no ADC, sometime I worry about her on some monster downhills, but she loves it and wants no part of the BIG ATV's. It is fast and nimble.</end quote></div>

This is one thing I love about the Grizz over the heavy Polaris it is deff allot more nimble than the Polaris though the Polaris will deff go through snow better than the Grizz! Every ATV has its good and bad points thoe.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:07 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I have seen people on Dirt Bikes go down some wild steep hills,I guess they only have rear engine braking as well ,I quess some sports require more riding skills than others.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

I have seen people on Dirt Bikes go down some wild steep hills,I guess they only have rear engine braking as well ,I quess some sports require more riding skills than others.</end quote></div>

I dont think it skill as much as if you are going to design something do it correctly kinda like Chevy did with its 3rd door design on its exteded cabs and Dodge did it with 4 door quad, It just makes more sesnse to do it properly!

Old 11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

I have seen people on Dirt Bikes go down some wild steep hills,I guess they only have rear engine braking as well ,I quess some sports require more riding skills than others.</end quote></div>

There's a lot of difference. For one , dirt bikes , unlike Polaris has separate front & rear brakes, I wish the Polaris did. Another and bigger thing is when a dirt bike can't make it up a hill or loses control going down, 98% of the time the dirt bike just lays on it's side and stays put; while the round ATV may tumble all the way to the bottom.

"This is one thing I love about the Grizz over the heavy Polaris it is deff allot more nimble than the Polaris though the Polaris will deff go through snow better than the Grizz! Every ATV has its good and bad points thoe. "

I had the '08 450 Grizzly, it is bigger than and, just as heavy , and not near as powerful as the Polaris 400. I would have gotten my wife any ATV she wanted. I showed her the Rancher w PS, the Suzuki 450, the Yammie 450 , 550, 700 PS, the bigger Polaris's , Arctic Cat, Can Am, and she insisted she wanted her old Pol 400.

I think Yamaha should make the 550 w PS in the 450 chassis, I'd buy her one.
Well maybe, another reason I did'nt get another Grizzly 450 is that the MSRP is 62 or $6399, and it's not near worth that. I got mine for $5699, $800 more than the Pol 400.

Quick Reply: DOWN HILL ACCENDING