Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

DOWN HILL ACCENDING

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOWN HILL ACCENDING

You know I'm kind of with TLC on this one..
There is nothing unsafe about rear wheel only EBS if you are aware of how it works and responds. That's what brakes are for. If you think the rear tires sliding is bad wait until all 4 are sliding. Ever tried to steer with the front wheels sliding? I actually rarely use ADC on very steep slippery trails. I prefer working the brakes. That way I can control when they slow me and when they do not. With ADC if it starts sliding all 4 your only choice it to apply throttle. Even with 1 lever 4 wheel braking it can be done. You have to treat them like we used to do before ABS and "pump" them so to speak. Does it take practice? Of course. That's part of riding,learing and experiencing. Ride at your level and strive to slowly expand your comfort zone. I can take a machine with no engine braking or rear engine braking down any trail that I could desend with a machine having EBS. The EBS isn't a get out of jail free card to desend any slope. It is simply a helper on smaller hills IMO.
One of the most important things to remember IMO is start the descent with as little speed as possible. Creep over the crest. If you start the descent with speed it is much harder to decelerate.
Another note I mention before, EBS is traction dependent. What is the main component of traction? Tires. If your tires are not up to the task of the terrrain you ride NO EBS system is going to help you. Even a system as high tech as todays automotive ABS systems are limited by traction,fact is if your tires do not have adequate traction your stopping distance will increase greatly. The main benefit to ABS is maintaining the ability to steer,so instead of hitting the car in front of you, you can swerve and hit a pole,lol..
So lets say a company designed an EBS that would not lock the tires...guess what on those steeper slippery hills that would mean little to no braking at all.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, thats a steep hill in the first pic.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117

Wow, thats a steep hill in the first pic.</end quote></div>

Nope just nomal hills here in Co [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You deff learn how to use EBS and your brakes when you ride out here!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: max49

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

I have seen people on Dirt Bikes go down some wild steep hills,I guess they only have rear engine braking as well ,I quess some sports require more riding skills than others.</end quote></div>

There's a lot of difference. For one , dirt bikes , unlike Polaris has separate front & rear brakes, I wish the Polaris did. Another and bigger thing is when a dirt bike can't make it up a hill or loses control going down, 98% of the time the dirt bike just lays on it's side and stays put; while the round ATV may tumble all the way to the bottom.

"This is one thing I love about the Grizz over the heavy Polaris it is deff allot more nimble than the Polaris though the Polaris will deff go through snow better than the Grizz! Every ATV has its good and bad points thoe. "

I had the '08 450 Grizzly, it is bigger than and, just as heavy , and not near as powerful as the Polaris 400. I would have gotten my wife any ATV she wanted. I showed her the Rancher w PS, the Suzuki 450, the Yammie 450 , 550, 700 PS, the bigger Polaris's , Arctic Cat, Can Am, and she insisted she wanted her old Pol 400.

I think Yamaha should make the 550 w PS in the 450 chassis, I'd buy her one.

Well maybe, another reason I did'nt get another Grizzly 450 is that the MSRP is 62 or $6399, and it's not near worth that. I got mine for $5699, $800 more than the Pol 400.</end quote></div>

Wish I could say the sam thing about my 04 Sportsman and Grizz but you can deff feel the 150lbs weight diff!