Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thumb to Twist Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008 | 05:37 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Thumb to Twist Throttle

I've ridden dirt bikes all my life and I really don't like the thumb throttle. I've converting them is easier said than done, but then I saw this.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas...dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Has anyone bought or tried this, and does it work good?

Old 11-14-2008 | 06:45 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

Are you sure you want to do that?What if your wrist slipps going into a cornor and it on accident you gun it and it throws you off and the machine hits a tree.Just think it through man I've heard of alot of accidents from twist throttle quads.

Old 11-14-2008 | 07:28 PM
|
Trailblazer

I'm sure they must have had some reason why they put thumb throttles on ATV & Snowmobils but I guess I don't understand how it would be more dangerous on an ATV than on a dirt bike.
Maybe you get used to the thumb thing but since I've rode dirt bikes so long and still have 3 , even if I ever get used to it, I don't know if I will ever learn to like it.

Old 11-14-2008 | 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

That is the throttle my wife and I have installed on our (2) Suzuki Ozark quads.
Highly recommend it. Can twist it out of the way to use the thumb throttle if you want. Easy to install.
Accidentally goosing the thumb throttle on rough trails was a constant problem for me.
Twist throttle gives me better grip on the bars and more throttle control-no accidental goosing.

Have 2 friends who also switched over to the 'Handy Throttle' after using our quads.

Old 11-14-2008 | 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Is it possible the thumb throttle might be easier to control when going crawling over obstacles such as downed trees ect. where you need presice low RPM control with the machine moving around alot?

Edit-guess not according to mhan,lol. I have no problems acidently goosing mine on rough terrain. It takes some practice but one you learn to metally seperate the thumb from the grip it isn't a probelm IMO.
I've done this for years lifting weights so it is natural for me I guess.

That does look cool, it allows you to maintain the ETC,which is nice peace of mind.

Old 11-14-2008 | 09:30 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: max49

I'm sure they must have had some reason why they put thumb throttles on ATV & Snowmobils but I guess I don't understand how it would be more dangerous on an ATV than on a dirt bike.

Maybe you get used to the thumb thing but since I've rode dirt bikes so long and still have 3 , even if I ever get used to it, I don't know if I will ever learn to like it.</end quote></div>

the reason is turning you lean a hell of a lot more on a dirt bike but on a quad or snowmobile you actually turn the bars.Do you see what I mean?I don't recommend it but this is my warning to you.

Old 11-14-2008 | 09:47 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: max49

Maybe you get used to the thumb thing but since I've rode dirt bikes so long and still have 3 , even if I ever get used to it, I don't know if I will ever learn to like it.</end quote></div>

Wrist throttle is fine, anyone who rode dirt bikes knows that.

The reason ATVs have thumb throttles like Snowmobiles,is because there impervious to freezing unlike wrist throttles. ATV Manufacturers don't know if someone in Alaska may use there ATV for ice fishing or there riding in a dessert in New Mexico,so they take no chances.

Dirt Bikes on the other hand are not to be ridden in the winter so wrist throttle is fine.

BTW I did try a dirt bike out on a frozen lake one winter and sure enough the throttle froze wide open and almost sent me into a ice shack.

Hence no twisty for sleds or ATVs.

Just like they will not put a thumb throttles on a dirt bike because they want ALL 5 digits wrap around that grip ,and tight, not just 4.

Old 11-14-2008 | 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

I could see a twisty in the dunes..... since you are not steering as tight and you are wide open all the time anyway...... but in the trees and trails I've seen more than enough people with twist throttles on an ATV get hurt because of accidental loss of control. There is a reason ATVs were not designed with twist throttles in the first place. I'm pretty sure since Suzuki made motorcycles that they tried it on their first ATV and said "nope something is wrong here" ......

It really comes down to the fact that you don't "steer" motorcycles, you lean to turn. On ATVs you steer a lot farther towards the locks. Then there is the fact that on a motorcycle in the woods, you are dealing with a 200-pound machine, with a tiny front tire. An ATV has two huge front tires, that are constantly yanking on your hands, a lot harder than any little MX tire is going to do.

My father was determined to get a twist throttle to work on his KFX700......he even threw the old thumber way because he was "riding bikes his whole life" and was certain he would "get used to it"...... after 3 months and two pretty good crashes the thumb throttle was back on......

I have never understood the whole problem with thumb throttles..... people complain about the oddest things with them....... hell my thumb gets tired too sometimes, usually the first good ride of a new season...... but I generally just suck it up and keep riding. Eventually the muscles get stronger and they don't hurt anymore.....by the time the season is in full swing my thumb can go all day with no problem.

I've also never understood why people are "scared of only holding on with 4 fingers" ......fact is probably 90% of the griping done for an ATV ride is done with the fingers, and not the thumb..... the only time you thumb is really taxed is under hard braking. And then you are not on the gas so your thumb is free anyway........and most of your "hold on" strength comes from your fingers and not your thumb. It is not the "fist" that has the strength, it is in the curl of your fingers to your palm.

Old 11-14-2008 | 11:21 PM
|
Trailblazer

99% of experienced dirt bike always ride with 1 or 2 fingers on the front brake and 2 fingers on the clutch, so gripping with 5 fingers is not the reason I'm thinking about getting the twist throttle.
I've got my thumb leaning forward so much, I just work the throttle with the palm of my hand. I guess I get thumb cramps

Old 11-15-2008 | 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Quick Reply: Thumb to Twist Throttle