Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thumb to Twist Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008 | 07:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Thumb to Twist Throttle

Mornin max49
The Wife and I and one friend ended up using this one. It's adjustable as the $19 one (now $12) ain't. I bought both kind gave that one away. I had trouble goin over ruff stuff with out havin the quad jump on me. Here is some info on em.. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-15-2008 | 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

With your background on dirt bikes, you would not have a problem with a twist throttle. Where people get in trouble is putting one on, and having never used one before. As far a the freeze up, I'm not sure about that, but I know they have motorcycle ice races.

Old 11-15-2008 | 01:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Once water gets under the twist grips handle grip it freezes to the bar,guaranteed. Thumb throttles have no such longe contact points to freeze up together. I,now about the ice racing but you can count on that those bike are prepped before the race with does not last long, but it sure would not be good in winter on a everyday use.

If I did not ride my ATV in the winter I would like twist grip,less thumb fatigue. Imagine riding a Gold Wing Touring motorcycle cross country with a thumb throttle,talk about pain.

I had by street bike sitting in the freezing rain just one night and the next morning the throttle was frozen, I can have my sled parked out side with no cover for a weeks and 2 feet of snow on it and I know the throttle will work correctly.

I Am on a Snowmobile forum as well and this topic has been discussed also and even tried, The twist grip just freezes to easily to ever be safe.

Old 11-16-2008 | 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

Ok so what you need to do if you you get the twist throttle is also get get heated grips....hence no frozen throttle.....Just a thought.

John

Old 11-16-2008 | 12:57 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JCDEYO25

Ok so what you need to do if you you get the twist throttle is also get get heated grips....hence no frozen throttle.....Just a thought.

John</end quote></div>

How does a heat grip help before you start the bike on a fosty morning?

Sure there is ways around it, but none are simple.

I would love to have a motorcycle throttle on my sled but I'm not going to rely on a bar warmer to keep it from freezing.

Old 11-16-2008 | 08:38 PM
Kan
Weekend Warrior

I don't recommend it but this is my warning to you.

Ok, that's kinda funny. You have been warned lol...

First thing I do with every new ATV is ditch the junk thumb throttle, cant stand them. I grew up on dirt bikes and just never got used to those thumb sprain-ers they call throttles. For long trail rides nothing beats a twist throttle.

Personally I wouldn't buy the twist throttle from Cabela's or Bass Pro (no offense) but they look junky to me (nothing to keep your hand from sliding off the end when landing a jump or wet hands), and its going to be a 1 size fits all kinda product. Further, what happens when you wear out the grip, can you even get something that works at the local bike shop to fit it?

I would head to the local bike shop and have them set you up with an actual twist throttle and not a band aid.

You might Google "Motion Pro" for a quality set up too.