Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Polaris Sportsman XP 850

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Polaris Sportsman XP 850

If Polaris didn't detune the motor, how else could they come out w/an H.O. version later? Also, the 850 may be the new FST sled motor, slap a turbo on it and the high CR makes sense.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: IronBear

Good point HighOctane, I didn't take into consideration the compression ratio of the XP. With it being @ 11:1, it would be almost essential to put in premium so I will be doing just that.</end quote></div>

Me too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2008, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Kuvie

If Polaris didn't detune the motor, how else could they come out w/an H.O. version later? Also, the 850 may be the new FST sled motor, slap a turbo on it and the high CR makes sense.</end quote></div>

No disrespect but high CR and power adders don't mix....with a power adder a high CR isn't needed.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

I, myself, use 91 or 93 octane, depending on which gas station I stop at to fill up the cans. The Kwik Fill has either 87, 89, or 93 and they are open until midnight, and the other local gas station has 87, 89 91, or 94, but they are only open until 9 or so, depending on the day of the week. I live in a small town with only one redlight, so choices are limited unless I want to drive the extra miles.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

Westpointdawg, congratulations on your new "baby"!!!!
What color is it? Do you have any pics of it you could post? I hope you have many, many miles or trouble free happiness with it!!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Kuvie

If Polaris didn't detune the motor, how else could they come out w/an H.O. version later? </end quote></div>

You must have been reading my mind. I expect to see them in 2010.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new ride![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I am really enjoying mine![img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

91-92 is probably perfect. My first tank was 89, I wish I could get 91 as I think it would be ideal,but it isnt available around here. So in the future i'm going to mix 89 and 93 50/50. I just filled up with 93. Now I just need to find a good spark plug to run so i can get the Champions out of there. I prefer NGKs. Looks Polaris pulled another fast one, the REA6MC Champion isn't even listed in Chanpions catalog so I can't easily look up a cross.</end quote></div>

Here is a site that cross references spark plugs:

http://www.clubplug.net/champ_ngk.html

But unfortunately, the REA6MC plug is not listed, however, I'm sure they update their site periodically so maybe it will be there soon.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: IronBear

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

91-92 is probably perfect. My first tank was 89, I wish I could get 91 as I think it would be ideal,but it isnt available around here. So in the future i'm going to mix 89 and 93 50/50. I just filled up with 93. Now I just need to find a good spark plug to run so i can get the Champions out of there. I prefer NGKs. Looks Polaris pulled another fast one, the REA6MC Champion isn't even listed in Chanpions catalog so I can't easily look up a cross.</end quote></div>

Here is a site that cross references spark plugs:

http://www.clubplug.net/champ_ngk.html

</a>

But unfortunately, the REA6MC plug is not listed, however, I'm sure they update their site periodically so maybe it will be there soon.</end quote></div>

Thanks,yeah I tried many crossreference sites and even looked on Champions site and it isn't listed and the part number doesn't sem to jive with there normal breakdown. When I get a chance I should be able to pull one and match up something from NGK hopefully. I know Old Polaris Tech talked to NGK and they didn't have anything in copper that matched perfectly,hopefully one of the iridium plugs will match or the copper will be close enough. You just have to be careful and know what you are doing if you don't run a plug the exact demensions as stock. With 11:1 compression there probably isn't alot of room for error on how far the plug projects into the cylinder.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just this morning I was fingering through the Dec '08 issue of Consumer Reports and read an article on Octane.

In short they wrote:

-87/89/91 doesn't mean "Good/Better/Best.

-If your car REQUIRES prem fuel, then use it.

-If your car RECOMMENDS prem fuel, don't use it.

-If your car doesn't say either, don't waste your $$ on prem fuel.

Tha,tha,that's all boys!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: New Polaris Sportsman XP 850