Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Studs on ATV's??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008 | 10:46 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Studs on ATV's??

would studded tires be safe to use on ATV's? Or would they cause problems or even injury?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Just thought I'd throw the question out there!

Old 11-21-2008 | 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Studs on ATV's??

I'd say they would be safe, but only if used on ice. I wouldn't leave them in for trail riding or any time when they would be on pavement, like your driveway. You would just have to be very careful not to brush up against the tires with studs in them or you could get a pretty could scrape or cut for sure.

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default Studs on ATV's??

i agree on ice or forzen trail even but becareful say on payment or other real surface as they will slide easy. imo.

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Studs on ATV's??

I take it you are talking ice screws. I use them in my sled track as I went with a 1.25 ripsaw when the other had problems and did not want to go with 1 3/8 studs. Screwed them into the paddles and they help on ice, not as good as studs but help. My track spins faster than an atv tire and have not lost one yet.

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:26 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Studs on ATV's??

Thanks sheepdog but brushing up against them wasn't what I had in mind! I don't plan on being out there in my shorts! lol!
I just didn't know if anyone used them and/or what they thought about them!
Cars and trucks "throw" a stud every now and then and on an atv the driver is more exposed than drivers in cars, and what about damage to the atv itself?
Does anyone even make an atv tire that can be pinned with studs?
For some folks that do alot of driving on ice or even compacted snow, they might be an option to using chains.
I don't like chains, they're a pain in the @$$ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default Studs on ATV's??

If you talkin about extra traction for plowing I would think they would gouge up your drive way every time you spun the tires

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Studs on ATV's??

They sell screw that you just screw into tread lugs on your tires. Check these out.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/ATVStuds.html

Old 11-21-2008 | 07:50 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Studs on ATV's??

Your right 700 sportsman but I live out in the sticks and I have about 3-5 miles of dirt/gravel roads and drivways to plow and scratching up the pavement won't happen! There is'nt any! The first half mile of road is on a very steep hill and about half way up there is a spring that creates a big dome of ice in the winter and there is about a 100 ft. drop on one side! You don't want to go off that!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2008 | 08:00 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Studs on ATV's??

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Stoopidbot

They sell screw that you just screw into tread lugs on your tires. Check these out.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/ATVStuds.html</end quote></div>

Those might work Stoopidbot!
I'm not sure I want to use them but they are an option![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-21-2008 | 11:38 AM
Trailblazer
Default Studs on ATV's??

I just buy 1/2" #8 pointed sheetmetal screws. I put them in the lugs with about an inch or less spacing. they make a huge difference and I have never had a problem. In the spring I just take them back out. If you use a cordless drill it's not that bad to do. It's cheap and easy but it does take about 1000 screws though (total, for all 4 tires).

Quick Reply: Studs on ATV's??