Gas treatment

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:02 AM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas treatment

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm
">"&gt;<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm
">&lt;br "&gt;<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm
&lt;br ">http://...s.com...rTuneUp.htm
</a>
</a>
</a>

I use Sea Foam occasionally to help keep carbon buildup down and the Lucas upper cylinder lube more regularly.</end quote></div>

HIGHOCTANE,

Do you like the Sea Foam better than Stabil? Sounds like it might have more advantages.

EDIT: Any place to buy this stuff locally?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gas treatment

DCT-I use the sea foam more as a cleaner than a stabilizer,but it says it does that too. You can add it to the fuel for a fuel system cleaner and put it directly into the cylinder for quicker cleaning of carbon deposits(carefully follow directions,as we know liquid doesn't compress). Oh and be ready for it to smoke like a bug truck,lol. I haven't tried it for a stabilizer so I can't say how well it works for that. Most of my equipment get year around use.
I get it at Autozone.
My father in law,who owns a Outdoor Power shop and used to be a Polaris dealer swears by the Amsoil stabilizer for winter storage. I think that is the #1 problem people have with outdoor power equipment. He sees ALOT of gummed up carbs. It is amazing how many people don't use anything and can't figure out why the equipment wont start after sitting for 3 or 4 months.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:33 AM
DCT
Banned
Default Gas treatment

Thanks HIGHOCTANE,

I think I'll give the Sea Foam a try. The only thing I store through the winter is my John Deere garden tractor. However, with the crappy winter gas, I like to keep a fuel stabilizer in the ATV. The gas they make today can get raunchy in a month.

As we speak, I'm checking out the AMSOIL stabilizer. I'm a big fan of their stuff, but have never used the stabilizer.

Thanks again.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gas treatment

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tstroker

SEA FOAM, has worked better for me, i use it year round in my 5 gal containers as soon as i get them. these new gas blends seem to detereorate faster than in the past.</end quote></div>

Good to know...another verified use for Sea Foam. I like the way it smells too,lol.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Default Gas treatment

Cool, lots of great info guys! What is the earmarker for how long it sits
to "know when" to put the stuff in and do all these steps? Right after
next week (Hunting season) it may sit another few weeks. Is it like weeks
or months?

Regards,

R'

Old 11-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas treatment

With the seafoam you can add it anytime and use the machine normally. That way when it sits it is already set up. In your case just add it to what you think will be your last tank used before it sits,then top off with another treated tank when you park it and you are set. I like to mix it in a gas can that way I know it is thoroughly mixed.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:23 PM
DCT
Banned
Default Gas treatment

Interesting that Sea Foam shares all it's components in their MSDS. I see that it is Pale Oil, Naptha, and IPA. I always suspected Lucas uses Pale Oil in it's product. However, Lucas doesn't seem to be as open with their MSDS, so it's hard to be sure. The Naptha is pretty nasty stuff, but the Pale Oil and Isopropyl Alcohol aren't too bad.

Based upon what I'm reading, I can replace both the Sta-Bil and Lucas by using Sea Foam. That would certainly make it simpler... have a hard time remembering everything in my old age. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas treatment

Yeah naphtha is pretty nasty,funny how not long ago it was a commonly used solvent. I believe Pale Oil is naphthenic itself,at least I know some brands are.
Obviously the MSDS only lists hazardous components. I wonder what else seafoan contains and if it is some non-hazardous component that they consider their "secret"?

Old 11-23-2008, 03:27 PM
DCT
Banned
Default Gas treatment

Yep, the Pale oil is napthetic. That's why I am still not sure what Lucas uses in their Fuel Treatment, as they claim that there are "no" harmful or dangerous solvents in it.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gas treatment

Yeah Lucas' MSDS is very vague as to components,never the less it isn't completely harmless according to the MSDS.
Maybe the qualify for a trade secret so they are allowed that vagueness?
Their oil stabilizer MSDS is more explanatory.

Quick Reply: Gas treatment