Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850 XP Rear Gearcase

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008 | 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default 850 XP Rear Gearcase

I have the same problem with mine,when I have weight on the back it doesnt do it but with out its got a clunking feel to the rear end.. Better put a call into my dealer and ask him to call polaris,is there a bulletin on it?

Old 11-26-2008 | 02:21 PM
|
Range Rover

Rutcutter, call your dealer at once, or better yet take it to them so they can see and hear it for themselves. There is no bulletin as of yet out or recall. My dealer ran my VIN number and everything on the 'puter on Saturday when I took mine in and said nothing was issued from Polaris. But as soon as he talked to them they knew exactly what he was talking about. I guess maybe Polaris is just hoping that not too many machines are doing it, so they won't have to recall all of them.

Old 11-26-2008 | 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

I just looked at mine,it isn't making noise but there is quite a bit of play in the stub axle where it goes into the case....matter of time before that moving around wears the seals out at a minimum.

Old 11-26-2008 | 02:42 PM
|
Range Rover

Highoctane, you might want to contact your dealer as well, just to be on the safe side. Better safe than sorry.

Old 11-26-2008 | 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

I'll let them know about it but I'll wait until there is definitely a problem to take it up to the dealer. Since it isn't leaking or making noise I could see Polaris putting me off with "that's normal play"

Old 11-26-2008 | 02:46 PM
Range Rover

I talked with my dealer today and mentioned this problem. I've heard it on my bike when I'm going slow and on pavement getting ready to load it in the trailer. He said it could be the clutches before the rear end that is part of the engine braking system. He thought it was quite common for them to do this. I'm new to Polaris machines so I'll wait and see what the outcome is sort of like the hole in the front diff topic it might just sort it's self out.
Take good care,
Dave

Old 11-26-2008 | 05:47 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Since it isn't leaking or making noise I could see Polaris putting me off with "that's normal play"</end quote></div>

I hate when manufacturers (all of them including car manufacturers) say "that's normal"!

So, if every vehicle or quad would loose a wheel going 25 MPH... a manufacturer could say... that's normal... cause they all do it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2008 | 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Yep...it's common for an issue to be known with a product and for a consumer to see the issue starting to develop but warranty coverage is denied because it hasn't yet completely failed. It is also common for people to expedite failure to get it fixed. Especially when a warranty is about to expire. Even if you document your concern prior to the warranty expiration they do not have to cover it once expired. A good company will though most times.
I mentioned safety earlier....I wonder if this might be skirting the edge. That would definitely explain Polaris being very willing to fix the problem. A differential or axle failure at 50mph could be real bad. Just 1 lawsuit could cost more than fixing every machine.
The thread on HL I mentioned said Polaris was considering a recall....they only recall for safety reasons. non-safety related problems are noted to dealers with service bulletins.
I bet all the paperwork for a recall is probably drawn up and they are ready but holding their cards and hoping it doesn't come to that. If someone gets hurt or almost gets hurt and they hear of it...bam time to recall. JMO,not trying to panic anyone or starting a rumor. Just thinking out loud.

Old 11-26-2008 | 06:48 PM
Trailblazer

So I have been reading through this topic and it is a bit unclear to me. Is this a problem with the driveshafts or is it a problem with the gearcase? Opie1har indicated that they were sending two new driveshafts but if the problem is actually with the gearcase then won't the problem reappear with the new driveshafts?

Old 11-26-2008 | 06:58 PM
Banned

Because of this new issue of the gearcase/driveshaft, I would think that Polaris would implement these fixes into the new machines that they are building, starting now. With that, I wouldn't be surprised if my machine was delayed because of this.

On another note, I'm going to check with my dealer to see if he had any reports of customers complaining about their gearcase/driveshaft noise.

Good luck with your machine opie1har, and please keep us posted on the outcome.

Quick Reply: 850 XP Rear Gearcase