Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 sportsman shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 sportsman shuts off

OK heres what I'm down to, I lose spark only when at operating temp. I checked the coil and was about ten Ohms hi on the primary side, but everything was about ten Ohms higher than the manual said?????? I checked the CDI triger coil and you guessed it, ten ohms higher then the manual said. Any Ideas??? really starting to chap my a$$. any ideas that are temp related would be appreciated.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does the temp sensor work correctly? just wondering(dont know how)if maybe bleeding extra power or ground thru ? this is a good question for our resident polaris mechanic. maybe he'll chime in.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: G8TR FAN

OK heres what I'm down to, I lose spark only when at operating temp. I checked the coil and was about ten Ohms hi on the primary side, but everything was about ten Ohms higher than the manual said?????? I checked the CDI triger coil and you guessed it, ten ohms higher then the manual said. Any Ideas??? really starting to chap my a$$. any ideas that are temp related would be appreciated.</end quote></div>

On resistance specs given in the manuals the numbers given are + or - 20%. If resistance on pulser is 97 ohms,then technically 116.4 ohms(high end) OR 77.6 ohms (low end) should be acceptable. But resistance specs are not always absolutely reliable,they just give you a REFERENCE to start tracking down elec problems.Coils can get hot and breakdown causing spark loss as well pulsers,and contrary to some that say a cdi either works or it doesnt ,cdi modules can breakdown too under heat,BUT most manuals dont give specs on cdi modules, They say JUST replace with KNOWN good one! When checking resistance always check at room temperature first ,THEN check when it quits running,this should help you narrow down problem. If one components resistance reading is WAY out from its cold reading,then try this component first.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Polaris tech,,,,Thanks for the advice. I will try what you said. It is a great plus to have resources like those here in the forum to help keep our Wheelers running,,,Thanks.