Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 03:23 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sta-bil and EFI?????

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: firehog

LMAO! I like a good debate! </end quote></div>

LOL... are you kidding. That wasn't a debate, that was someone explaining to someone else how EFI really works. LOL LOL

Old 11-29-2008, 03:43 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>If it was TBI the throttle body would flow fuel and those injector passages would be in the throttle body</end quote></div>

The injector on the 500 EFI is just ahead of the throttle body at the intake of the engine ,but its still concidered a Throttle body (TB).

Even Polaris calls them Throttle bodies on there spec sheets.40mm Dual Throttle Bodies, EFI XP850

A throttle body is somewhat analogous to the carburetor in a non-injected engine. Carburetors combine the functionality of the throttle body and the fuel injectors into one, that is, to modulate the amount of air flow, and to combine air and gas together.

Cars with throttle body injection (called TBI by General Motors and CFI by Ford) locate the fuel injectors in the throttle body, thereby allowing an older engine to be converted from carburetor to fuel injection without significantly altering the engine design.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>If it was TBI the throttle body would flow fuel and those injector passages would be in the throttle body</end quote></div>

The injector on the 500 EFI is just ahead of the throttle body at the intake of the engine ,but its still concidered a Throttle body.

Even Polaris calls them Throttle bodieson there spec sheets.

</end quote></div>

Geez,are you serious TLC or are you trying to mess with me??
For the last time.....the throttle body controls AIR FLOW. ALL EFI designs/types use a one or more throttle bodies...it is just a component of the system..On older TBI fuel was injected into the throttle body on newer systems the fuel is injected after the throttle body, but BOTH use a Throttle body,different designs but they are both called throttle bodies....so yes Polaris calls it a throttle body and the component is a throttle body, but that does NOT make it Throttle Body Injection. Polaris has NEVER used TBI on an ATV.

You posted and excerpt:
"A throttle body is somewhat analogous to the carburetor in a non-injected engine. Carburetors combine the functionality of the throttle body and the fuel injectors into one, that is, to modulate the amount of air flow, and to combine air and gas together."

That is a true statement, and is exactly what I am saying and actually proves MY point.
throttle body modulates the air(only) and injectors supply fuel....

The 850's set up.
3) is the dual throttle body assem.
1) is the intake air manifold that bolts directly to the head
5)is the fuel rail,see the 2 injectors going from the rail to the manifold? The injectors protrude into the manifold at the very edge where it connects to the head. The way the manifold mounts this has the injectors pointing right at the back of the intake valves.

If anyone else is interested,or still does not understand that I'll be happy to keep explaining it.
Otherwise I guess we will just have to agree to disagree TLC. I know I started the "debate" by responding to your post. Now I am ending it,another case of not being able to convince someone who isn't open to the possibility they are wrong.
Good day.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

He didn't ask if EFI needed it,he asked was it ok to use.

I think he asked because he realizes EFI has different components and sensors and wanted to make sure that a fuel stabilizer would not harm them.
</end quote></div>

BINGO! lol Thanks HIGHOCTANE for at least attempting to clarify this issue for "those of us" that actually need such clarification..... lol

Old 11-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

No sweat. You knew the right answer,you just wanted some reassurance before taking a chance. Nothing wrong with that.
Alot cheaper to ask a question that to end up having to replace parts.
Sorry I side tracked your thread,but I figured you had your answer already, and I might as well try to keep the info we post correct as possible.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to put in my $.02, with all the talk of throttle bodies and gum and varnish and dirt, I would like to remind everyone that when cleaning out the TB, you CAN NOT use carb cleaner, most TBs are coated for corrosion protection, and carb cleaner with strip or damage that coating, they make Throttle Body cleaner, usually right on the shelf next to the carb spray, it may cost a little more, but PLEASE spend the couple extra bucks to get the most life out of your expensive EFI system.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 95wolv
I would like to remind everyone that when cleaning out the TB, you CAN NOT use carb cleaner, most TBs are coated for corrosion protection, and carb cleaner with strip or damage that coating, they make Throttle Body cleaner, usually right on the shelf next to the carb spray, it may cost a little more, but PLEASE spend the couple extra bucks to get the most life out of your expensive EFI system.</end quote></div>

That is absolutely correct on many of the newer automotive throttle bodies. I wonder if the Polaris Throttle body is coated?

Whatever the case, I always use a detergent based cleaner whenever possible, as a opposed to a solvent based cleaner.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ive always used this product in my efi vechicals w/ no issues at all.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

In addtion to the possiblitiy of the TB being coated(some are some aren't) also is the fact that the throttleshaft is supported by bushings or bearings and EFI associated sensors near the throttle body that may be damaged. On Polaris ATV's the main sensor close to the TB is the TPS. Yes carb cleaner is harsh and may damage these components.....
More improtantly IMO..
If you do not remove the TB to clean it,but rather just spray it with carb cleaner the debris must go somewhere. It will wash into the intake tract and into the throttle shaft area.
To properly clean the TB you need to remove it. At that point you can carefully wipe it down with a rag. If a cleaner of any type needs to be used put the cleaner on a rag first then wipe the TB clean. If you must spray down the TB with any tyope of cleaner at a minimum remove the TPS first. Remember though that the throttle shaft bushing/bearing tolerances are very tight. Any debris will cause at a minimum wear. A worn throttle shaft is not good.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:14 PM
DCT
Banned

This is great stuff! It will come in handy for many folks... and especially those folks who use a K & N filter and over oil just a bit to much! LOL

Quick Reply: Sta-bil and EFI?????