Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sta-bil and EFI?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sta-bil and EFI?????

Anyone know if using Sta-bil fuel additive is okay on an quad with EFI? I'm 99.9999 sure that it is okay. i just want to be sure before I put it in my '07 700EFI.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

fine and dandy,you need to put it in a seperate can and shake,i don't know if it will mix in bikes tank unless you do a series of jumps and woops.....

Old 11-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Yes it will work good with EFI never have had a Problem with it in my Raptor!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:42 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a typical EFI throttle body. You bet it gets as gumed up as a carb over time.

The body may just need a carb cleaning put the injector passage will gum up from varnish like any other jet passage.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

I use it in both of mine with no problem. I mix it in my tank I just shake the bike back and forth real good while I'm adding it...I agree though that it's probably best to mix it in a separate container.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

TLC....not sure why,but it seems you are on a crusade against EFI. IMO you need to quit postin' info about EFI until you understand it.
Would it make you happy if we tell you a carb is better?
NO fuel flows through the throttle body....if it is "gummed up" it is from dirt in the air or oil in a oiled filter or a combo of both. If the throttle body looks like that something is wrong. The throttle body in that pic was probably 10 years old ,had leaks in the tract between the TB and filter ect...
Yes injectors can clog,but they are not even connected to the Throttle body..

Sorry to muck up the thread...

Old 11-29-2008, 11:08 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

From you

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>NO fuel flows through the throttle body</end quote></div>

From me

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The body may just need a carb cleaning put the injector passage will gum up from varnish like any other jet passage. </end quote></div>

Question was does a EFI need Gas stabilizer, and yes the injector will be effected by varnish.

I just get a kick out of all these EFI questions,

Will it keep gas from vanishing?

Will it make a ATV go faster?

Will it start up in the cold unlike a carb?

Does it need a air filter ? will be next.

I feel for the People that will buy there first EFI Machine and exspect all the Magic to start happening that does not come,with all the hyped up post about the wonders of EFI.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

He didn't ask if EFI needed it,he asked was it ok to use.
And you have stated more that once you believe that Polaris EFI is throttle body EFI(which is incorrect) If it was TBI the throttle body would flow fuel and those injector passages would be in the throttle body. But it isn't. If you weren't thinking that way why even post a pic of a TB? Fact is in a Polaris the Sta-bil will never see the throttle body.

BTW EFI is less prone to fuel varnishing IMO, than a carb is. Varnishing is hard deposit build up over time. Why does an EFI system not varnish as easily as a carb? I don't claim to know that for sure,but I have a hunch it has to do with the pressures that EFI operates with keeps the formation of varnish deposits cleaned out.

But the gas does still go stale and decompose. This causes "Gum" formation, and yes EFI is susceptible to this,anything that sits long enough with untreated fuel in it will have a problem.
Bottom line gasoline decomposes,no matter the fuel system. Some things can slow decomp and some things speed it up. EFI or carb. If the fuel is decomped so much it has lost it's burn charecteristics,or has large gum formation almost nothing will run in that situation.
EFI might be slighlty less susceptible to mild gum formation IMO. Again due to the pressures it operates at and possibly the pump design. Small deposits are broken down to an extend in the pump,making them less likely to glog the small injector orifaces. Also being pumped at 39 psi causes friction,further breaking up small,soft gum deposits. Is this by design and touted as an EFI advantage? No. Does it eliminate the need for fuel conditioning and precaution? NO
Again if the fuel is too stale to burn properly it doesn't matter if it gets to the cylinder.

EFI is not an end all to age old problems,but overall it is a step forward IMO.
I doubt there is anyone out there that thinks it is some sort of miricale.
I think he asked because he realizes EFI has different components and sensors and wanted to make sure that a fuel stabilizer would not harm them.

More than anything I just like to see accurate info being provided.
Notice above I said "IMO" EFI doesn't varnish as easy as a carb..so don't take that as gospel. Just my opinion and what I have seen. If I am not 99% sure of what I say I add a disclaimer that I'm not claiming it is a fact.

Where are all the hyped up post about EFI? You "feel for people who buy and EFI machine expecting magic"? Again I think that very few people think EFI is magic,and personally it sounds like you think most people are dumb.
There are advantages to EFI and the claims made by most manufatures are pretty accurate. So where would these dumb people ge the idea EFI is "Magic"?

BTW you forgot one....EFI's ability to supply fuel regardless of the attitude(ie position) of the machine.
Later

Old 11-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO! I like a good debate! Especially an informative one! This reminds me of some recent posts here.....will lowering my sprocket give me more power! It makes me laugh, but I don't diss on them, it is up to more educated and informed people to help them out so they don't make stupid mistakes. Hence, this forum!

Old 11-29-2008, 02:37 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

If its just a gas can sitting in the corner of a garage for months it will need Stabilizer. If they ever make a machine that can not take gas stabilizer than you would have to drain the whole fuel system (Tank and lines) for long storage periods, Talk about a pain in the a$S that would be.

Quick Reply: Sta-bil and EFI?????