Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2008 Polaris EFI issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Polaris EFI issue.

I just took my Polaris out and after riding for about 15 minutes, I came to a stop and it just died. I started it up, but it won't stay idiling, it just dies. Also, when I turn the ignition on, the fan on the radiator just stays running. What gives. If anyone has any clues, please let me know. Thanks

Old 11-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

Will it idle if you give it a little throttle? Try giving it just enough throttle to take the slack out of the cable. If that works it's likely the throttle cable has stretched a little and is activating the ETC and needs adjusting. Fairly common problem on new machines,as the new cable stretchs.
Other than that break out the manual and check if it is throwing any codes.
The fan will come on with the ignition on,if up to the kick on temp. The coolant will get hotter for a little while after you shut down as it is still pulling heat out of the block.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Will it idle if you give it a little throttle? Try giving it just enough throttle to take the slack out of the cable. If that works it's likely the throttle cable has stretched a little and is activating the ETC and needs adjusting. Fairly common problem on new machines,as the new cable stretchs.

Other than that break out the manual and check if it is throwing any codes.

The fan will come on with the ignition on,if up to the kick on temp. The coolant will get hotter for a little while after you shut down as it is still pulling heat out of the block.</end quote></div>

That's the only way that it will stay idiling, Highoctane. As soon as I let off of the throttle it dies. The fan quit running when I turn it on so that is not an issue. So then i guess the throttle cable needs adjusting? It sucks not being mechanically inclined...lol. I guess owning an atv will be a great way to learn.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

The procedure is in the manual. Check it out,not too hard. I also have my own technique that I use on the trail that requres no tools. If after you look up the procedure you have nay questions feel free to ask. The adjuster is just down the cable a few inches from the throttle(covered by a rubber boot).
As for water in the fuel,I would say if it runs fine other than not idleing then no. That isn't the problem.
90% chance that if it runs normally other than idle and it isn't tripping the check engine icon and you can just barely give it thottle and it idles it is the cable adjustment.
There are other possibilites with those symptoms,but the cable adjustment is the first thing to rule out.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hot damn! Thanks a million, High Octance. It is now purring like a kitten. That was pretty simple. It's now Idiling at about 1170 RPM. So that's normal to happen with new ATV's? Craziness. Well, once again, thanks a bunch. I was ready to pull my hair out over here.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Yep,common with new machines with the Electronic Throttle Control safety feature. The new cable stretchs a little during break-in. One it stretches enough it has too much slack and activates the ECT killing the ignition. When you give it a little throttle you remove the slack. Basically that slack falsely tells the ECT that the throttle blade is stuck open. 1170 is a good idle speed. 1150+/- 100 by the book.