Decision on which dealer to purchase the 850XP from

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision on which dealer to purchase the 850XP from

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cscotter

How about the extended polaris warranties?

Why is warranty coverage different with polaris atv's vs. automobile man. as far as using the dealer you purchased from??

Like Miande said dont they still get paid for the repair??

Just curious as I am waiting to hear back from my dealer that I didnt buy my atv from on an extended warranty problem.

Highoctanes post came in while I was typing this one FYI</end quote></div>

I would think that any authorized Polaris dealer would have to honor any warranty including an extended warranty. After all, the warranty is with Polaris... not the dealer.

However, as HIGHOCTANE said, the dealer can take one of two approaches. He can do no more than he has to do, or he can go out of his way to show you that next time you might want to reconsider your decision.

Put yourself in his shoes. If he just tried to sell you a new ATV, and a week later you brought one into him to fix a broken axle that you bought at another dealer... how would you react?

Of course, if he is really screwing people on prices and service, he's probably not going to be in business long anyway, unless he has a monopoly in a big area where you have no choice.

Tough call.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: IronBear

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: IronBear

Groovy, I totally agree about factoring in both transportation and/or shipping costs. I have an email into my dealer to see what he can do for me. Basically, I said if he could either give me both the brushguards AND 3500 winch for the same price that we agreed on, then I would be happy with that, or, it he gives me the machine for the further discounted price, and keep everything else the same, then that will work too. Will see what he says to that.

</end quote></div>

Well, I think you are doing the right thing in not taking the dealers first offer. If he can narrow that $500 gap a little bit, I would go for it, provided he is a reputable dealer.

I sure wouldn't want to drive 4 hours back and forth for service... and the dealer closer to you may not be inclined to give you such great service if you buy it from a different dealer.

In the end, he may tell just tell you to drive the 4 hours to the other dealer. I doubt that many of the dealers are going to be worried about being overstocked with XP's.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.</end quote></div>

Thanks DCT. He has been great so far, but I would be happy if he can narrow the gap at least by $250.00. There are other Polaris dealers to go to, but this particular dealer was given to be as a reference from one of the club members, and they have been great to them. I'm going to conduct most of the repairs myself so that shouldn't be a problem.</end quote></div>

I think you're on the right track Ironbear!
I just don't know how you have waited this long! You must be going crazy with anticipation! LOL!
By the way, look at your number of posts,(666) Make another one QUICK!!LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2008, 07:57 AM
DCT
Banned

Well, after re-reading this entire thread, I think HIGHOCTANE had a very valid point... If the dealer is that good of a dealer, he shouldn't have come "out of the gate" with a MSRP offer. Sounds like he is trying to take advantage of the XP "frenzy". If the other guy can sell it for $500 less, than this guy should be able to come close to it.

Whatever the case, there are a lot of things to consider before making the purchase. Hope it works for you IronBear.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Range Rover

I bought bikes from 2 different Polaris dealers. Both were willing to take 20% off of parts and accesories. I loaded up on filters, plugs, fluids, belts and accesories. See if they will do that, it will keep the overall cost of ownership down.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. lol.

I really think if the local dealer is highly recommended that he will get close to the dealer that is 3 or 4 hours away to make ironbear feel good about the deal and save the business. As long as he is convinced that the other dealer is offering the better deal. He may not match the price,he may add a little for gas and travel. Bt he'll probably try to work it out. In the long run that would be best most likely and I hope it works out good for him.</end quote></div>

Thank you both DCT and HighOctane on your input. My dealer came back to me and said that he did the best he could for me, which I'm somewhat happy with, but knowing that I can purchase this machine for $500.00 cheaper was eating at me, until after I spoke with my better half and father who brought up some good points.

Basically I decided to stay put, for two reasons, one my time is very valuable, something that I don't have a lot of because I've been working like mad on these snowblowers, trying to get them up and running for our upcoming winter. This has been generating some good money for me, and if I have to take an 8 hour trip, this will pretty much kill my day, and two, the gas for an 8 hour trip plus wear and tear on my truck. This would amount to the $500.00 savings and then some. The dealer has three locations, but there are other dealers locally too, who didn't even get back to me on a price. Here is what I'm getting from the dealer:

Price of $8,799.00 on the machine
Deluxe brush guards included with the sale
Bullet shift ****
Polaris baseball cap and winter hat
$50.00 VIP card
10% on all parts & accessories

This dealer does come in high regard from others that I know who own snowmobiles, and other ATV club members so with that, I decided to stay put. However, this will not stop me in negotiating other addons, such as a winch and other accessories. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

IronBear

Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Glad you came to and agreement you are happy with. Like I said in my PM as long as YOU are happy with the deal that is all that matters. After all there are alot of factors involved that only you know about,such as losing money by taking a day off to go pick one up 4hours away. That's why everyone has their own idea of a good deal.
And as a bonus,even though you do all of your work,if something big happens to go wrong the local dealer will be more inclined to make it less painful for you and you won't be worried about bringing it to him,or feel the need to take more time off and take it 4hrs. away.

Now that the deal is settled I hope you can sleep the next 2 weeks waiting for it to arrive,lol.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
DCT
Banned

Glad it's working out for you IronBear.

Hope it's a great quad! Enjoy!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned

Thank you so much for your input on this subject. Everyone has been such a big help and I cannot wait for it's arrival.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'm sure I will have a bunch of questions for you once this machine arrives.

Thanks again!