Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Decision on which dealer to purchase the 850XP from

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision on which dealer to purchase the 850XP from

Hello,

As many of you may know, I'm in the process of purchasing my new Polaris 850XP and have already negotiated a deal with my dealer, however, I have been doing some poking around and have found better deals then mine. So for instance, my dealer is selling me the 850XP for $8,799, + $50.00 VIP card, plus 10% off all accessories, including the bullet shift **** and giving me both front and rear deluxe brush guards for $145.00. I think that is decent, but not great so, I found a dealer in New York (about 4 hours away) that will sell me the XP for $8,299 out the door, so I emailed him back to say if he includes the deluxe brush guards and bullet shift **** then he may have himself a deal.

It sounds like a no brainer to me, but I need some suggestions. I plan on doing most of the maintenance on the ATV myself.

Any opinions or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

Unless you know that your dealer will provide outstanding service and is willing to go above and beyond, I say get the best deal you can wherever you can. I might buy a new ATV every 5 or 6 years, and I do my own maintenance, so I will never develop a strong relationship with a local dealer. Nothing personal, but I simply do not do enough business with them to be considered by them as a valued customer. I go to them for parts, but that's about it. I don't trust their service and so to give them an extra $1500 (in my case) over my next best deal, just doesn't make sense to me. Our economy has changed. If you want to survive, you better find a way to do it better, faster and cheaper than the competition. I don't get to keep my job because I have been here for 20 years and have a good relationship with my boss. Every year I must demonstrate that I can perform my job better, faster and cheaper than my competition in the job market. To maximize my earnings, I need to apply that same mentality when I take my hard earned paycheck and spend it with retailers. There are at least 3 dealers selling 850's for $7983. Sure, they deal in high volume but that also means more overhead. If they can sell for that price, why can't others at least come close?

Sorry for the rant but you did ask for opinions [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2008, 10:01 AM
DCT
Banned

I would check on the 10% on accessories at the other dealer. By the time you are done, the savings could be significant. You might also want to mention (in a nice way, that you found another deal for $500 less)

Old 12-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Banned

Good point guys. First I'm going to give my dealer the benefit of the doubt on saving another $500.00 off of MSRP, but before I do that, I'm going to wait to see if the other dealer will include those brushguards and shift **** in the $8,299 price.

Thank you.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Ironbear-check your PM's
BTW-IMO 10% off accessories is a joke if it is 10% off list....heck I can order accessories all day long for more than 10% off MSRP,even from my dealer.

Miande-there is one dealer in AL selling them for $76xx...I hear what you are saying. I think it boils down to some dealers wanting to make a mint on each machine because they do not know when the next sale may come,or they don't do enough sales to get as many machines as the volume dealers. I guess they don't realize that by lowering the prices they will generate more sales and service and get costomers from farther away and eventually get more machines ect..
I have a dealer 5 miles from me that is that way...MSRP or MORE! Heck they still have '07s that they want MSRP for,lol.
I drive 70 miles to the dealer I buy from,saved me over $1000 on my XP. Worth the drive IMO. And guess who I will use for service if needed..yep I'll drive 70miles.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yea your alittle to far for my dealer that I used,I got my browning 850 with all the goodies on it OTD for 8900 delivered to my door.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Who is your dealer Rutcutter and where are they located?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

BTW-IMO 10% off accessories is a joke if it is 10% off list....heck I can order accessories all day long for more than 10% off MSRP,even from my dealer.

</end quote></div>

+1 TO THIS.

I have a good friend that is a Motovan distributer and he gives me discounts (10% minimum) on the list price, and on some items he provides me at HIS cost!

It pays to shop around ... but I would go back to your local dealer and let him know that you can find it cheaper elsewhere. Sometimes though... getting it cheaper elsewhere isn't cheaper as you have transportation and shipping costs and additional delays that eat into or completely absorb those savings.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Talk to robert fretwell from shoals outdoors in Tuscumbia alabama,great folks to deal with just make sure to check behind there PDI setup.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Banned

Groovy, I totally agree about factoring in both transportation and/or shipping costs. I have an email into my dealer to see what he can do for me. Basically, I said if he could either give me both the brushguards AND 3500 winch for the same price that we agreed on, then I would be happy with that, or, it he gives me the machine for the further discounted price, and keep everything else the same, then that will work too. Will see what he says to that.

Rutcutter, I was thinking about getting my machine @ Shoals, but with a shipping cost @ 600.00 to New Hampshire, it just wouldn't be worth it in the long run. Thank you anyway though.

Quick Reply: Decision on which dealer to purchase the 850XP from