Decision on which dealer to purchase the 850XP from

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:03 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision on which dealer to purchase the 850XP from

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: IronBear

Groovy, I totally agree about factoring in both transportation and/or shipping costs. I have an email into my dealer to see what he can do for me. Basically, I said if he could either give me both the brushguards AND 3500 winch for the same price that we agreed on, then I would be happy with that, or, it he gives me the machine for the further discounted price, and keep everything else the same, then that will work too. Will see what he says to that.
</end quote></div>

Well, I think you are doing the right thing in not taking the dealers first offer. If he can narrow that $500 gap a little bit, I would go for it, provided he is a reputable dealer.

I sure wouldn't want to drive 4 hours back and forth for service... and the dealer closer to you may not be inclined to give you such great service if you buy it from a different dealer.

In the end, he may tell just tell you to drive the 4 hours to the other dealer. I doubt that many of the dealers are going to be worried about being overstocked with XP's.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Groovy, I totally agree about factoring in both transportation and/or shipping costs. I have an email into my dealer to see what he can do for me. Basically, I said if he could either give me both the brushguards AND 3500 winch for the same price that we agreed on, then I would be happy with that, or, it he gives me the machine for the further discounted price, and keep everything else the same, then that will work too. Will see what he says to that.

</end quote></div>

Well, I think you are doing the right thing in not taking the dealers first offer. If he can narrow that $500 gap a little bit, I would go for it, provided he is a reputable dealer.

I sure wouldn't want to drive 4 hours back and forth for service... and the dealer closer to you may not be inclined to give you such great service if you buy it from a different dealer.

In the end, he may tell just tell you to drive the 4 hours to the other dealer. I doubt that many of the dealers are going to be worried about being overstocked with XP's.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.</end quote></div>

Thanks DCT. He has been great so far, but I would be happy if he can narrow the gap at least by $250.00. There are other Polaris dealers to go to, but this particular dealer was given to be as a reference from one of the club members, and they have been great to them. I'm going to conduct most of the repairs myself so that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:03 PM
DCT
Banned

I'm going to conduct most of the repairs myself so that shouldn't be a problem.</end quote></div>

I hear ya! Provided their aren't a lot of warranty issues or recalls, you'll be good.

Again, good luck with your decision.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Just my 2 cents.

IMO a good dealer looks past this sale and or how many XPs they will or won't get and considers reputation(ie word of mouth) future sales and service profits. Not to mention the interest they pay on the floor plan. The longer a machine sets the more it costs the dealer. So while they may not have any leftovers,if a dealer or two nearby is selling at a lower price he may have some XPs sit until the other guy runs out or raises his prices.
I bought my dealers first non-demo XP back when they were being touted as limited production first year and people were speculating you would be lucky to get one at MSRP. I know my dealer is high volume and they aren't getting many this year. But I still got mine for way below MSRP. Is he still making money? Of course. I wouldn't try to drive a deal that would cost him money an certainly he wouldn't do a deal that would. And since I pre-ordered it even more money in his pocket as it didn't sit there at all.
Bottom line IMO A dealer that won't work with you a little to make you feel good about the deal, when someone fairly close by is quite a bit cheaper, isn't a dealer I want to use. IMO that is the same type dealer who will give you crappy service,won't go to bat for you on warranty stuff and generally has the "if you don't like it go somewhere else attitude".

Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Just my 2 cents.

IMO a good dealer looks past this sale and or how many XPs they will or won't get and considers reputation(ie word of mouth) future sales and service profits. Not to mention the interest they pay on the floor plan. The longer a machine sets the more it costs the dealer. So while they may not have any leftovers,if a dealer or two nearby is selling at a lower price he may have some XPs sit until the other guy runs out or raises his prices.

I bought my dealers first non-demo XP back when they were being touted as limited production first year and people were speculating you would be lucky to get one at MSRP. I know my dealer is high volume and they aren't getting many this year. But I still got mine for way below MSRP. Is he still making money? Of course. I wouldn't try to drive a deal that would cost him money an certainly he wouldn't do a deal that would. And since I pre-ordered it even more money in his pocket as it didn't sit there at all.

Bottom line IMO A dealer that won't work with you a little to make you feel good about the deal, when someone fairly close by is quite a bit cheaper, isn't a dealer I want to use. IMO that is the same type dealer who will give you crappy service,won't go to bat for you on warranty stuff and generally has the "if you don't like it go somewhere else attitude".</end quote></div>

I would agree HO, but a 4 hour drive to the other dealer is a pretty good drive. Plus, the dealer he is dealing with seems to have a good rep and came recommended by other users... tough to put a price on that.

Of course, the dealer he is dealing with may know that he is the only guy in the neighborhood... might be why he is high in price.

If in the end, the dealer refuses to budge on price... I would agree... probably wouldn't want to do business with him no matter what other folks say. Then again, I wouldn't be too thrilled with driving 8 hours round trip if I did have to take the bike back.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. lol.
I really think if the local dealer is highly recommended that he will get close to the dealer that is 3 or 4 hours away to make ironbear feel good about the deal and save the business. As long as he is convinced that the other dealer is offering the better deal. He may not match the price,he may add a little for gas and travel. Bt he'll probably try to work it out. In the long run that would be best most likely and I hope it works out good for him.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

If in the end, the dealer refuses to budge on price... I would agree... probably wouldn't want to do business with him no matter what other folks say. Then again, I wouldn't be too thrilled with driving 8 hours round trip if I did have to take the bike back.</end quote></div>

But isn't it just like a car? Any dealer will/should honor a warranty or recall. Isn't that just like any other service work they get paid for?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Our warranties are only 6 months long and are over before you know it ,so the the dealer with the best price is all its about. Are they not like cars warranties anyways? I bring my Ford Pick up truck to any ford dealer for warranty work,it does not matter if I bough the truck there or not.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: miande

But isn't it just like a car? Any dealer will/should honor a warranty or recall. Isn't that just like any other service work they get paid for?</end quote></div>

Well yes and no, warranty work,wether it be on your auto or an ATV is not paid at full rate for labor. In addition is the fact that the dealer can add in is personal touch of taking his sweet time doing the work putting you at the bottom of the heap so to speak. Or if the warranty work is questionable as to whether it shoulds be covered a good dealer that you have a good rep with can fight for you somewhat to get it covered,whereas a dealer who is an a-hole or doesn't care for you or for whatever reason can hose you,and at a minimum make getting something covered more work for the consumer.

Recalls are a given,they are rare and are only in case of safety related problems. Even so your recall could take alot of time to be done if the dealer has ill will toward you.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Range Rover

How about the extended polaris warranties?

Why is warranty coverage different with polaris atv's vs. automobile man. as far as using the dealer you purchased from??

Like Miande said dont they still get paid for the repair??

Just curious as I am waiting to hear back from my dealer that I didnt buy my atv from on an extended warranty problem.

Highoctanes post came in while I was typing this one FYI

Quick Reply: Decision on which dealer to purchase the 850XP from