Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question for 550 XP owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for 550 XP owners

Brand new my 850 engaged fairly hard even when trying to ease into engagement,but didn't have the clunky engagement like the 800 did,just a solid engagement. Nothing uncomfotrable feeling to me. It has softened alot with miles. I actually liked the solid engagement,gave the feeling that the belt was hooked up good. The softer engagement almost feels like it is slipping a little when you ease into it in high. The only time mine engages a little hard anymore is when it is cold and I am in reverese backing it out of the garage the first time of the day.
The reason the 550 maybe a little harder IMO is the fact that it idles around 1600 rpm,so belt engagement is probably set up a little higher than the 850.
Was this machine brand spanking new with little or no test riding?
How cold was it out?
Both can make a difference from one machine to the next as well as can temps.
Seems that when it is cold the belt is stiffer,clutch springs are stiffer,fluids are thicker ect. and that can affect how engagement feels.
With all of that said if you try 2 550's with like mileage under similar temps and one engages alot harder than the other that would be suspect.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

Inside, 72 degrees. Machine had 3 miles on it. The engagement was not clunky but it was literally hard enough to make the machine jump 6 inches. If you were trying to back up to a trailer it would have been impossible. Only way I could finesse the machine was to use the brake like a clutch (hold brake until belt grabbed and then slowly release brake).

Even with the higher RPMs, it seems like you coud still get a smooth engagement if you were gentle with the throttle. As I understand the CVT, the spinning force of the clutch weights will overcome the resistence of the spring causing the sheave to close. With higher RPMs you would need a stiffer spring but it still seems like the collapse of the spring would be a gradual, controlled collapse rather than sudden. This just felt like the sheave was stuck and then would then close suddenly.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah i'd try another 550 and compare,might be an issue with that one.
Mine does engage harder in reverse,once the belt gets warmed up it is better,but still is harder in reverse. Did you notice that also?
Maybe has to do with the reverse gear ratio...
Even though it is pretty smooth now,smoother than the 800 ever was I do lightly use the the brake as a buffer when backing up to a trailer,helps smooth it out when trying back presicely at very low speed in tight quaters.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

MIANDE,

I read your post on the tight $8K budget and the family. Let's do a reality check, you are buying a first year model Polaris. You will have more expenses.

To date, the XP owners are experiencing quite a few issues like:

-Stock tires perform poorly in mud and snow.(many are spending BIG BUCKS to replace them with a decent tire)

-Champion spark plugs-(can you say junk)

-Rock gets caught between rotor and wheel and ruins inside of rim. (I'm quite sure the wheel isn't warranty work!LOL! More $$)

-Some are experiencing rear shaft issues. (Your time/gas to bring it to your local Popo dealer for warranty work) Polaris even knew about this flaw and still sent it to market!

-No front storage- (it's an accessory that you have to pay for)

In short, there is NO WAY you are going to be able to afford the XP.

IMO you should look at the time-tested, tried-and-proven, Sportsman 500EFI!!

Buy that ATV for a lot less $$ than a XP550, and have the legendary-proven reliability and NO additional suprises!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

MIANDE,

MTPOCKETS,
I am pretty certain I know what I can, and can"t afford.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: miande

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

MIANDE,

MTPOCKETS,

I am pretty certain I know what I can, and can"t afford.</end quote></div>

I'm sorry if that came out the wrong way.

My point is that your over-all expense will be much higher with the first-year model 550 than that of the proven 500. (You wrote in another topic that you plan on keeping this ATV 5-6 years)

Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 PM
DCT
Banned

miande,

Good luck with your decision. It's your money, and you need to feel comfortable with your purchase.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

miande,

Good luck with your decision. It's your money, and you need to feel comfortable with your purchase.</end quote></div>

At first it was a hard decision for me to,but i was tired of the old style-bad ball joints,tie rod ends,suspention bushings,the rad getting muded up.And not to mention water pump seals.
Its true parts are easely avalable for the old models,but i moved on to the modern age, the redesign is nice and the future is here now ,if i wanted true and tested i would have bought a black and white tube TV insdead of my 1080i HD TV.
I'm sure if there's any big problems in the future POLARIS will stand behind them as the ECM problems of many 500's and 800's going some years back.
Yes the addon accesories are not cheap and not to many yet, but the quality of the ones i have are good.
Next year this time there will be many XP owners and the older models will lose a lot of value.
Now continue your quest and balance all pro's and con's before you decide and go find some ware to test drive one.
I had no chance to test one before hand as the one i got was the first 550 in the dealer and aparenty all the xp's there were all pre sold so i dont know if they allow any drive's yet. i got mine from http://www.edgeperformancecentre.com/

And i indede expect to keep my xp 550 for a long time,i even got a new shed for my bike.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

Lobodog3, well said.

I plan on getting out tomorrow morning to test drive a couple outside rather than just rolling around the showroom on one.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here I did a little more research:

'08 Sportsman500EFI sale price $6,302
'09 Sportsman550XP sale price $7,281

Difference $979.00

Question is if that extra $980 is worth it for the extra 50cc's, poor-grade tires, almost no storage, no re-coil back-up starter, and first-year-model reliability issues for an ATV that you plan to keep for 5-6 years?

Something to think about.........

Quick Reply: Question for 550 XP owners