Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Gas smell on oil dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas smell on oil dip stick

I had a small leak of oil coming from the hose clamp on my oil tank. When I checked the oil it smelt like gas on the dip stick?

Any help appreciated...

Thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is the oil over full on the dip stcik when you check it the correct way? did you ever flood it or put it on its side or anything?

Old 12-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Range Rover

I am going to read up on the proper way to check the oil. I wanted to make sure it had oil. I never flipped it, but it did come off my last trailer pretty hard. Sold that trailer fast after that incident, no more ramps. How do you flood the engine? I had a battery problem in September and I replaced that, I may have tried to startit a few times with no luck.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it a strong gasoline smell, just a trace, or something in between. If it's a faint smell of gas it's probably okay.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Range Rover

Its not strong, but how do you flood an engine? Its an EFI.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

Most likely, if you didn't have any major starting or running problems, you didn't flood it.

A fuel flooded engine will give you major starting or running problems, along with fouled plugs. It can also show up as a over full oil condition, as gas gets into the oil system.

I would do a oil/filter change (cheap insurance) and watch the fluid level just to be on the safe side.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Range Rover

I did have a startingproblem this summer. The battery was dying. Can you flood the engine if the ATV just clicks when starting or teies to start and doesn'nt?

Thanks

Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: The Black Pearl

I did have a startingproblem this summer. The battery was dying. Can you flood the engine if the ATV just clicks when starting or teies to start and doesn'nt?

Thanks</end quote></div>

In your case I would say no. If your machine has been running fine since you replace your battery last summer, and your oil level is not elevated, then I would say you are worried about nothing. If you are super concerned and want some piece of mind, then I would change the oil/filter and enjoy your ride.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

ATV went into the ship for an oil and filter change. The winch cable broke and I do not have the tools to fix it. I am also getting them to tighten the clamp on the hose for the oil tank. Since its in I thought I would save some time and get everything done. The minus 40 degrees celsius hear makes in a little uncomfortable to work on an ATV in a garage.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard it is from starting it and shuting it off many times without letting it get to operating temperature (running short trips, etc.). I thought this would cause moisture in the engine and thus the breather would freeze up on the older twins but someone told me it caused the fuel smell also.

I have thought the same thingh about mine many times (gas smell in oil). I run minne in Minnesota all winter around the farm.

Wonder if its just the smell of thin synthetic oil?

Quick Reply: Gas smell on oil dip stick