Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Gotta Love Polaris AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta Love Polaris AWD

I have the OUTTY max 650 xt less than a year.....I could tell the quality of the parts are not coming close to Polaris......shocks are cheap, closter fog all the time, clutch cover wrap after 2 hours ( for me ), hard to steering compare to a Polaris, no protection under ( stock ). Bolt rust pretty easy ( I hate rust ).

Ok enought about BRP.....Yes the visco lock work nice. I prefer 3 wheels drive and lock the other fourth wheel when I need it.......

The only thing I don't like about Polaris...is the back wheel spin faster than the front and cause some slippery like condition all the time in winter.......but I can live with it...

I would like to see the wheel spin equal for the futur...

Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

XP vs Outlander This vid really shows the difference between the XP and the Canned-Ham

Old 12-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BlueManQuad

XP vs Outlander This vid really shows the difference between the XP and the Canned-Ham</end quote></div>

Cool vid! I just wonder what tires that XP had??? No way they were stockers...

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2008, 06:57 AM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Hope our own sheepdogMSP8117 doesn't mind if I stick his video in here too... good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...e7Y0WE&feature=related</end quote></div>

Wow that is not good that could cause some major riding issues! [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Just curious... my son is an old pro at this stuff, but I'm still new at it (but learning fast [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

Anyhow, how would that cause any trail riding issues?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider

Cool vid! I just wonder what tires that XP had??? No way they were stockers...

biz

[img][/img]</end quote></div>

under mor info it says the tires are 28" Zillas

Old 12-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

I dont know why HIGHOCTANE you hate Yamaha or ME so much, just cause I have a diff opinion than your does not make mine any less or more right than yours!</end quote></div>

Dodge I don't hate you or Yamaha or anyone else for that matter...it just seems to me that you chime in with something about your Grizz in nearly every post you make lately.
And usually it is about how you like the Grizz better than your Polaris. It's a free country and you are entitled to you opinion and to voice it...as I am mine. I welcome info about other brands,whether it is better or worse than Polaris,it just seems that the majority or your posts lately are about your Grizzly. My replies to your posts are my honest opinion,i'm not picking on you,just giving MY opnion in response. Am I being dirty about it? If you think so, my apologies,it wasn't intended that way.

JMO

Old 12-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Well I guess that is the Differance between you and I but for where I ride and how I ride I will take the Yamaha system over my Polaris system any day. With the power sterring I can ride locked all day if I prefer but dont as you coud poss damage something if you do! One thing that the thgrizz does do better than the Sportsman and that is not a opinion but fact is it does turn much shorter and in tight wood riding is a very nice feature.

</end quote></div>

Hve you ridden an XP on the trail,I would agree about the old style Sportsman. But the XP is very easy to ride in tight quaters,even in 4wd without EPS. I won't claim it has as tight of a turning radius as the Grizzly,I don't know. And yes the truning radius is slightly increased in 4wd. But I have yet to have a situation that required tight turning and 4wd at the same time. Matter of fact I rarely need 4wd,and I ride some pretty rough trails. Every once in a while in the mud,or climbing a very steep hill or crossing a large tree. I put it in 4wd,cross the obstacle and slide it back to 2wd. When I need 4wd, I want all 4 pulling. I'll say at least the Grizzly has the ability to lock all 4.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

After watching that vid IMO shows the difference in tires more than the difference in 4WD. All 4 wheels on the Canned-Ham were spinning even tho the quad wasn't climbing the wall. That seems to be a traction issue both on the rock wall as well as in the sand.
</end quote></div>

I see it different. If you watch closely you will see that at first the one front on the wall is not pulling,this allows the other tires to digdown..this is the down fall of the Can-Am system IMO. By the time the front locks you might already be stuck. Harder to get unstuck once you did down like that.
Also the system can be unpredicatable and each time you let out of the throttle it must re-lock. Imagine riding in slippery,rocky terrrain climbing a hill aggressively,getting in and out of the throttle. All the while the front tire with the most traction is pulling then not,then pulling again. Doesn't sound good to me?
I will say that I have heard that they have improved the system and it locks with less rotation now that the one in the video..have't seen that for myself though.

I looked hard at the Outty before I bought my 08 800,the Visco-lok broke the deal and made my choice alot easier.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Well I guess that is the Differance between you and I but for where I ride and how I ride I will take the Yamaha system over my Polaris system any day. With the power sterring I can ride locked all day if I prefer but dont as you coud poss damage something if you do! One thing that the thgrizz does do better than the Sportsman and that is not a opinion but fact is it does turn much shorter and in tight wood riding is a very nice feature.

</end quote></div>

Apparently you haven't ridden an XP on the trail,I would agree about the old style Sportsman. But the XP is very easy to ride in tight quaters,even in 4wd without EPS. I won't claim it has as tight of a turning radius as the Grizzly,I don't know. And yes the truning radius is slightly increased in 4wd. But I have yet to have a situation that required tight turning and 4wd at the same time. Matter of fact I rarely use 4wd,and I ride some pretty rough trails. But when I need 4wd, I want all 4 pulling. Switching from 2 to 4 is as easy as sliding the switch.

I'll say at least the Grizzly has the ability to lock all 4.</end quote></div>

Its all good man and dont think I am knoking the Poloris nither as you can see I still have mine but there is allot of people (not saying you)who like to knock other machines just because it makes there puchase seem like the best one. I did ride the the XP (tough just in the parking lot) and thought it was a awesome machine but as you have probobly read I won't by a first year anything not just atv's. I feel you get the best a MFG has to offer the 2-3 year of MFGing as this is when most thing are perfected to a tee. Hopefully in 2 years when I buy again LOL the XP 550 will be the machine to get! I did tons of reaserch before my purchase and can honstly say for my needs the Grizz fits the bill better than any other machine. It might not work for you but for me and It does not get any better as for where I ride 4x4 is not just a feature but a nessesity allong with the winch if you know what I mean!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Hope our own sheepdogMSP8117 doesn't mind if I stick his video in here too... good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...e7Y0WE&feature=related</end quote></div>

Wow that is not good that could cause some major riding issues! [IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Just curious... my son is an old pro at this stuff, but I'm still new at it (but learning fast [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border="0[/IMG] )

Anyhow, how would that cause any trail riding issues?</end quote></div>

To me it would seem as if the system was going down the road like that it would be fighting itself causing some gear train issues. That might be why you hear so much drive train slack on the old Sportsmans such as mine!

Quick Reply: Gotta Love Polaris AWD