Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EMERGENCY

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMERGENCY

No its a old trick I usually can feel which wire or wires are getting hot thus pointing me in the right direction .

Old 12-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default EMERGENCY

Sorry Spdecat....That is almost as bad as suggesting someone try to vacuum a foreign object from their fuel tank,lol.

While your method may work sometimes,under certain circumstances..there are much better,less dangerous ways. Such as shooting the wires with a meter,checking for shorts to ground...
Also,if someone is asking to help troubleshoot something it isn't a good idea to suggest questionable methods of troubleshooting IMO. The fuse in question provides power to the ECU,and other delicate components..not something you want to trying to get hot,or get to smoke.
Fuses are there to protect things and should not be bypassed unless you know EXATCLY what you are doing....which means almost never,because if you know what you are doing you rarely if ever need to bypass a fuse.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default EMERGENCY

I am pised now becasue i should have just got one woithout the stupid efi.... anyways i feel liek an idiot. it my own fault for this problem. i recently installed a winch and plow and i read in the instructions that you are sapposed to make sure no wires are in the way of anyuthing when you are putting things all back together, well, the stupid wire on the right side that plugs into something, i am still not sure what it is, it is a black box with a and b on it that has 2 plugs....possibly spark plugs? i don't know but anyways, i had the wires smashed in there and it finnally rubbed through! thanks for all the help.....i am starting a new topic for a second problem now.

I got everything running now but, i am not getting full power? it runs forward but only like 4500 rpm max? i am not getting any new codes or anything though? I am ready to sell this and just get a carberated atv instead! AHHHHHHHHHHH!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default EMERGENCY

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Sorry Spdecat....That is almost as bad as suggesting someone try to vacuum a foreign object from their fuel tank,lol.

While your method may work sometimes,under certain circumstances..there are much better,less dangerous ways. Such as shooting the wires with a meter,checking for shorts to ground...

Also,if someone is asking to help troubleshoot something it isn't a good idea to suggest questionable methods of troubleshooting IMO. The fuse in question provides power to the ECU,and other delicate components..not something you want to trying to get hot,or get to smoke.

Fuses are there to protect things and should not be bypassed unless you know EXATCLY what you are doing....which means almost never,because if you know what you are doing you rarely if ever need to bypass a fuse.</end quote></div>

I'm glad I'm no the only one that feels that way....

Old 12-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Range Rover
Default EMERGENCY

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koerbs

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Spdecat

You could try putting in a higher amp fuse then look for smoke or a burning smell can help point you in the right direction just pull the fuse fast when you find your problem . Or do what ffwfh said and buy a carb bike easier to fix and more reliable .</end quote></div>

You are kidding right? Advice like that is horrible. His atv is 2 years old man, its not a 1985 moto 4. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

I can't agree more. That's the WORST advice I can ever remember seeing here in the Polaris Forum. This forum is usually filled with insight and advice second to none....BUT NOT THIS TIME! Man, I pray every night that back yard hackers like this don't work as techs at the dealerships. That's why NOBODY gets near my equiptment with tools except me.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Range Rover
Default EMERGENCY

Sorry if that last post sounded harsh and offensive to Spdecat....It is certainly not personal........People work hard to be able to afford these machines, and It just frosts my a$$ to think that someone who doesn't know any better might actually follow that advice, end up setting his ATV on fire, and be left with NOTHING! Please, try to think about what CAN happen when someone follows your advice here. Not everyone here is as "wrench savy" as the next guy, and people could end up doing some REALLY UNSAFE things, just because they saw it on the Polaris Forum. Let's be responsible.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default EMERGENCY

i have installed larger fuses many times ,because i did not have the correect ones and never had a problem..my amp is suposed to have a 5amp fuse in it..i am running a 25 amp,anything else blows.truck has not burned up yet

Old 12-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default EMERGENCY

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dodge33

I am pised now becasue i should have just got one woithout the stupid efi.... anyways i feel liek an idiot. it my own fault for this problem. i recently installed a winch and plow and i read in the instructions that you are sapposed to make sure no wires are in the way of anyuthing when you are putting things all back together, well, the stupid wire on the right side that plugs into something, i am still not sure what it is, it is a black box with a and b on it that has 2 plugs....possibly spark plugs? i don't know but anyways, i had the wires smashed in there and it finnally rubbed through! thanks for all the help.....i am starting a new topic for a second problem now.

I got everything running now but, i am not getting full power? it runs forward but only like 4500 rpm max? i am not getting any new codes or anything though? I am ready to sell this and just get a carberated atv instead! AHHHHHHHHHHH!![IMG][/IMG]</end quote></div>

Dodge..glad you got it figured out for the most part. Forgive me if I don't sympathize with your disgust towards EFI...pinched wires can take out a carb'd machine too...remember it too relies on electronics to run..
No distibutor, points and condenser these days.
Good luck getting her back in proper working order.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default EMERGENCY

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jodaanja

Sorry if that last post sounded harsh and offensive to Spdecat....It is certainly not personal........People work hard to be able to afford these machines, and It just frosts my a$$ to think that someone who doesn't know any better might actually follow that advice, end up setting his ATV on fire, and be left with NOTHING! Please, try to think about what CAN happen when someone follows your advice here. Not everyone here is as "wrench savy" as the next guy, and people could end up doing some REALLY UNSAFE things, just because they saw it on the Polaris Forum. Let's be responsible.</end quote></div>

I wouldn't appoligize for anything, it was horsecrap advice and I hope he gets the hit that those backyard advice is not welcome. You are exactly right, advice like that could cause someone who dosen't know any better to burn up their machine or wreck a part that costs hundreds of dollars.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default EMERGENCY

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: onesavage

i have installed larger fuses many times ,because i did not have the correect ones and never had a problem..my amp is suposed to have a 5amp fuse in it..i am running a 25 amp,anything else blows.truck has not burned up yet</end quote></div>

And your point is? Oh...that you are lucky! lol...
If it calls for a 5amp and you have to run a 25amp! Something is wrong.
I bet you have the amp thrown behind the seat and wired it with a cut up extension cord dont't you? LOL
I love it!
"Fuse is blowin' ,must need a bigger fuse"!
If you re-read you will see he had a pinched(shorted) wire..a higher amp fuse would do nothing but damage...

IMO this forum is one of the better for technical info, and I for one want to keep it that way. Take the backyard,shade tree crap somewhere else.\
The only possible exception IMO is if you have a proven,legitimate,but maybe somewhat shady, way to get someone out of the woods in a pinch. That is fine. But it needs to be explained as such and in detail so that someone doesn't get hurt or damage their machine. Even then you better be careful what you post...JMO
Post like the above are the exact thing that motivated the line in my sig.
Good think I'm not a mod here,i'd be deleting crap like that left and right.

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY