Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

94 400L overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 400L overheating

ok so i was out plowing snow and it overheated and cracked the resivior... so i brang it back to the garage and let it kool down... and afterwords topped off the fluid...and was out plowin again and it overheated again... any reason why? is there a thermostat or somthing ?

Old 12-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Range Rover

Is the fan running? if so check to see if the rad is pluged with the summer mud

Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

well actually when it was hot and i turned it off and back just turned the key on the fan was not running... ??? and i cleaned the 4x4 of all mud in every crevas before getting it ready for winter... is there a thermostat?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Range Rover

Yes I would say so.... everyone I have had has had one. look were the top hose hits the eng and there should be a neck just like a car but smaller.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you checked your radiator for circulation. I mean did you open the cap while the atv is running to verify the antifreeze is flowing. ( checks for water pump issues). If that is good does the atifreeze seem to bubble allot? Do the bubbles intensify when you rev the motor? If you have either of these you have a cracked head, or blown head gasket. I did the same thing trying to be a good neighbor and plowing both of their 400' long drive ways... see what i get for being a nice guy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

On a real bad over heat more than likely you have toasted your temp sensor as well. This I believe is needed in conjuction with the fan thermal sensor to kick on the fan when the motor is getting hot.

As to a thermostat... i'm not aware of one on these but don't count it out. I know it's not at the top of the head. The only thing there is the temp sensor and an elbow for the hoze. The elbow is part of the head.

Tom

Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HARLEY_OWNER

well actually when it was hot and i turned it off and back just turned the key on the fan was not running... ??? q]

I think you found your overheating problem. Try bypassing the sensor and see if the fan runs.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

ok me and my ol ladys dad tryed by passing it... but we couldnt figure it out... could someone explain which wires to jump or somthing... i'll explain how we did it and you guys can tell me if im wrong... ok...

at the bottom of the fan there were two wires... i believe red and brown... i followed them up only to find the brown wire goin to the circut board... and the red wire i asume some how split into two goin to the plug-in on the top... right? or wrong??? anyway i spliced enough to run a wire from the red wire on the bottom of the fan.. and we jumped it too a battery and it worked... but when we tryed to put it on a toggle switch it wouldnt work!!! WHAT THE HELL... after a while we gave up... should we go right from the switch on the plug on the top... if so please explain... or explain how to do it if i was doing it wrong.. thanks boys

Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Short out the temp sensor (in the rad.) wires and it will turn the fan on. If the fan is not working it will heat at any outside temp. if you are working it. Getting snow packed arounfd the rad can make one overheat. THe packed snow acts like a blanket and holds heat in. Make sure it is free and open arouing the rad. Feel both rad hoses. One sould be hot and one should be pretty warm but cooler than the other. THe one that comes from the thermistat should be the hot side. If the other side is cold or a huge difference from the hot side then I would suspect a flow issue. Make sure system is free of air. There should be a bolt on top of the head that is a bleeder for the cooling system. Open it and fill up with coolant and let it run until it is hot and coolant is running out sonsitantly. Remember to keep full in rad while bleeding

Old 12-23-2008, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

ok so how to I run the fan on a toggle switch.. can anyone explain that in depth for me... thanks

Old 12-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HARLEY_OWNER
ok so how to I run the fan on a toggle switch.. can anyone explain that in depth for me... thanks</end quote></div>

I don't have specific knowledge or a manual for your ride, but I'll jump in anyway and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Locate the temperature switch on the radiator that Curtis said to jump, in his above post. There should be two wires running to this switch. You just have to put the new toggle switch between these two wires. When these two wires are connected to each other, the fan should run. If it doesn't then the temperature senser in the radiator was not the problem, that was keeping your fan from running.
This will allow you to easly restore your ride to stock once you get a new sensor.

You may want to invest in a manual for your ride. Hopefully this works for you and if i'm wrong, someone will correct me.

Quick Reply: 94 400L overheating