Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Got to use my Snow Blade in deep snow to day!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got to use my Snow Blade in deep snow to day!!

My little 1996 300 Explorer did a fairly good job pushing 8 to 10 inches of snow today But I think I need to get some chains on it.

I noticed that there seems to be regular chains and some that are called "Z-Bar" Chains on the market Are the Z-Bar Chains worth the extra Money. Around here they are about $40.00 more than regular tire chains?

Even if I put chains on it I am not sure if it will make that much difference since it looked like the ground clearance is some what of a problem when I am pushing that much snow. Will the chains help digg in a little better.

I was suprised that the little 300 explorer did as good as it did when I bought it it came with a 60 inch blade but I want to get a 48 inche blade because that 60 Inch doesn't fit down the sidewalk worth a darn.

Has anyone ever cut down a blade to make it narrower? It looks like it would be pretty easy to take the same amout off of each side and make it a 48 inch blade with out messing up the Integrity of the blade.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

The V-bar chains are better all around but or could leave marks on pavement or cement if that is a concern then get the reg. chains they are less likely to leave marks, but may still do so!!
As far as the blade goes, IMO I wouldn't cut it but get another one that is the width you want. The blades aren't all that expensive and you may want a wider one later!

Old 12-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rancher55

The V-bar chains are better all around but or could leave marks on pavement or cement if that is a concern then get the reg. chains they are less likely to leave marks, but may still do so!!

As far as the blade goes, IMO I wouldn't cut it but get another one that is the width you want. The blades aren't all that expensive and you may want a wider one later!</end quote></div>

I am going to need to redo my driveway in a couple of years so making marks in the cement is't to big of a deal.

As for buying another blade I thought about doing that but if I keep bringing stuff home that needs to go in the garage I will end up parking both SUV's in the drive and I really hate cleaning snow off in the mornings when it is really cold. Don't have room to add another stall on the garage

Old 12-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Beau49

I thought about doing that but if I keep bringing stuff home that needs to go in the garage I will end up parking both SUV's in the drive and I really hate cleaning snow off in the mornings when it is really cold. Don't have room to add another stall on the garage</end quote></div>

I here you! The garage holds the toys,the truck sits outside.

We had 14" of snow in the last 24 hours.Drifting is also a problem.There calling for another 1-3" on Saturday and another 3-6" on Sunday.More in the forcast for Tuesday.By the end of the week we'll be at the second worst on record to date.All this after a record last year.

It sure is fun plowing........but time consuming.I trailer my ATV to two other places to plow.It makes for along day.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Range Rover

hi, i have the exact same wheeler. i was plowing 4 inches of slush with frozen ice on top today. was really working the little 300 all 4 tires diggin in. i have AT489's without chains.

i wouldnt hesitate on cutting the blade. i would use a sawzall and not a torch or it could warp on ya....

Old 12-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Check out these Tire Chains. I really like the diamond pattern. That's the same pattern run on skidders. They are a little more money - but I think they would offer better traction and will stay on a little tighter. On my old Yamaha Timberwolf (2x4) I had the standard type chain and always seemed to get loose.

Can't really justify buying them before Christmas - but right after I think I'll order a set. I just have to decide if I want the "regular" diamond pattern or the "Super Stud". As I have a gravel driveway I likely get the Super Stud, but for a paved or concrete driveway the regular diamond may be best.

Oh - and finally - those with extreme aggressive tread would be better off with the diamond pattern to ensure the chain doesn't ride down into the tread pattern - and therefore give no traction advantage.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

One other thing that got me thinking about chains and working the ATV hard. While I was plowing the other day I noticed without chains that if I was pushing too much the tires would start spinning. With the tires being the "weakest" link you are not stressing the drivetrain (i.e. clutch & belt). If I add chains I will have more traction, but this may transfer the stress to the clutch and belt. Hmmm - one of those things to contemplate......

Anybody want to offer thier opinion on this?

Old 12-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: *5 J's*

Check out these Tire Chains. I really like the diamond pattern. That's the same pattern run on skidders. They are a little more money - but I think they would offer better traction and will stay on a little tighter. On my old Yamaha Timberwolf (2x4) I had the standard type chain and always seemed to get loose.

---------------------------

Can't really justify buying them before Christmas - but right after I think I'll order a set. I just have to decide if I want the "regular" diamond pattern or the "Super Stud". As I have a gravel driveway I likely get the Super Stud, but for a paved or concrete driveway the regular diamond may be best.

That Diamond pattern looks like you would get some great traction with them.

Oh - and finally - those with extreme aggressive tread would be better off with the diamond pattern to ensure the chain doesn't ride down into the tread pattern - and therefore give no traction advantage.</end quote></div>

Old 12-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: triplggg

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Beau49

I thought about doing that but if I keep bringing stuff home that needs to go in the garage I will end up parking both SUV's in the drive and I really hate cleaning snow off in the mornings when it is really cold. Don't have room to add another stall on the garage</end quote></div>

I here you! The garage holds the toys,the truck sits outside.

We had 14" of snow in the last 24 hours.Drifting is also a problem.There calling for another 1-3" on Saturday and another 3-6" on Sunday.More in the forcast for Tuesday.By the end of the week we'll be at the second worst on record to date.All this after a record last year.

It sure is fun plowing........but time consuming.I trailer my ATV to two other places to plow.It makes for along day.</end quote></div>

I sure am surprised how much time it takes to plow with the ATV too but I have to admit that I get to playing in the snow a little to much, but it sure beats sitting in the house!! Looks like I get to go out in a bit and play in the snow some more we got 3 or 4 inches coming down agaian today.