Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

stuck throttle

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck throttle

jsut got my dad's 97 400 2X4 and which has been setting for a year or so. Dad was 83 so not much use of storage care. The throttle cable wont move. When I look into the throat of the mixer I see the shutter sleave shouldn't it rais and lower by touch. If I usscrew the top where the cable attaches shouldn't I be able to remove the shutter sic assembley? As you can tell I am stumped. How do I get this freed up?

Old 12-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default stuck throttle

If it's stuck that bad I'd remove the carb from the machine and spray carb cleaner in it to see if you can get the slide freed up. I would then disassemble the carb completely and soak in carb cleaner. Drain the fuel tank, replace the fuel filter and put fresh fuel in. replace the spak plug too.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default stuck throttle

he might even need to lube up the cable if it is that bad or if it got water up in there and rusted it up then the cable wont be any good. either way take off the carb top by unscrewing it and should pull slide out w/ it. should be able to tell if the cable is the issue or the gummed up carb. imo.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Default stuck throttle

Keep in mind when you start driving it to test. PLEASE get ready to hit the KILL
switch if it sticks. I know this too well, from my accident on Thanksgiving day.
I found out the hard way that the brakes won't stop my FULL THROTTLE!

Cheers,

R'

Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default stuck throttle

I recently had the same prob. with my 1996 xplorer 400L 4X4 2 stroke. if it is 2 stroke the cable that goes to the oil injection pump runs very near the engine case and gets very hot even with the heat wrap. with that said my prob. waS the the heat had melted the inside plastic coating and conformed to the twisted wire inside. I jerry riged mine to work using hard plastic tubing and some good old redneck engineering, but it works! If you cant get it free, I would highly sugest a NEW throttle cable. Like RticKwad said, brakes cant stop full throttle!!!!
hope this helps.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default stuck throttle

you guys are great Thank you I will start working on the carb. When I looked at the cable the ends look good and clean I have not looked at the oil injustion pump. However when I unscrewed the top of the carb I could not remove any part of it due to being stuck. I could see in and it looks clean so I spraied some P oil and will let it soak for a while. What is the possibility of the oil pump being froze up? Thank you all for the words of wisdom and the great advice on the SAFETY of thinking about the kill switch too.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default stuck throttle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Duce

you guys are great Thank you I will start working on the carb. When I looked at the cable the ends look good and clean I have not looked at the oil injustion pump. However when I unscrewed the top of the carb I could not remove any part of it due to being stuck. I could see in and it looks clean so I spraied some P oil and will let it soak for a while. What is the possibility of the oil pump being froze up? Thank you all for the words of wisdom and the great advice on the SAFETY of thinking about the kill switch too.</end quote></div>

Oil pump froze up-Pretty much no chance at all.
Use carb cleaner rather than penetrating oil. Your not dealing with rust, your dealing with varnish.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default stuck throttle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 94harley

If it's stuck that bad I'd remove the carb from the machine and spray carb cleaner in it to see if you can get the slide freed up. I would then disassemble the carb completely and soak in carb cleaner. Drain the fuel tank, replace the fuel filter and put fresh fuel in. replace the spak plug too.</end quote></div>

If it's been sitting that long it would be a good idea (IMO) to change ALL of the fluids too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default stuck throttle

Disassemble and clean the carb. Rebuild it if you have to.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default stuck throttle

will do.

Quick Reply: stuck throttle