Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Spring Install - Damage Front End?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Spring Install - Damage Front End?

Okay - I have been searching the forum for info on stiffer front springs because with my plow installed I am overloading the suspension making the quad steer hard.

While looking around I see a lot of posts talking about damaging the front drivetrain by overextending when installing new front springs. The dealer wants $90 in labor to install the Polaris HD Springs so I would like to install myself. After watching this video, it seems to be a pretty simple job - but I don't want to screw up anything in the front end.

What is the issue that these posts are referring to? Is there anything special that I need to do to prevent damage? I was thinking that if I left the tires on and just jacked the frame up enough to remove the spring I should be okay. Is there anything I need to be watching for?

Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i didnt have any trouble when i put my spring spaces in (which would be the same as putting new springs in). the only thing to watch for is not to extend the cv's too far and pull them apart. imo.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

You need to do more then you describe. There are several threads from the past two years or so on doing it. You are going to need to drop the hub assembly and A arms, remove the caliper and you may as well inspect the CV and boot while you have it apart.
I read the threads on the Polaris forum and it went well. The only thing I can think of that you need to be careful with is bending the outer CV joint in a way that it will come apart. Not the end of the world but the boot would need to come off the put it back together.
With the normal type of springs you are trying to install I don't see any damage to the front end that could be done.
Read the threads here, it's how I figured mine out. Dig in.
Holler if you need help, A bunch of us have done it.
Deerkiller

Old 01-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks - extending the cv's too far and pulling them apart was exactly the issue people were mentioning.

I guess I 'll have to take a good look tonight to understand this better.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks - extending the cv's too far and pulling them apart was exactly the issue people were mentioning.

I guess I 'll have to take a good look tonight to understand this better.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Are you installing new front springs on a '08 Sportsman X2 500EFI if so I think your front end should be the same as my 08 500HO . If that's the case removing your existing front springs and installing new ones is a snap . You just pull the front storage box giving you access to the top mounts and away you go . Took me about 1 hour to pull my front springs and reinstall you only have to deal with all that other stuff if you have the older style . You don't need to drop the hub assembly and A arms, and remove the caliper .

Old 01-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Spdecat

Are you installing new front springs on a '08 Sportsman X2 500EFI if so I think your front end should be the same as my 08 500HO . If that's the case removing your existing front springs and installing new ones is a snap . You just pull the front storage box giving you access to the top mounts and away you go . Took me about 1 hour to pull my front springs and reinstall you only have to deal with all that other stuff if you have the older style . You don't need to drop the hub assembly and A arms, and remove the caliper .</end quote></div>

Yep that's all I did.....remove the front box and the upper spring mounts are right there..takes about an hour and really easy to do.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That's how I did it also. I jacked the front end up, took off the front box/rack. I was very careful to only let the front sag just enough to take the spring off.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

5 J's,
Didn't see that yours was an 08,
Sounds like a much easier job then the older one's.
Good luck.
Deerkiller

Old 01-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think you can really damage the front end by installing new springs....because if and when you happen to catch a bit of air with the front end the suspension with extend all the way anyways right. I think what you are referring to is installing a lift kit on the front end maybe? When you install a lift kit the drive shaft has clearance issues with the strut because of the increased angle it's on...so you have to grind off a bit of the strut. I could be completely wrong on this though...it happens alot according to the wife.

Quick Reply: Front Spring Install - Damage Front End?