Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front Spring Install - Damage Front End?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Spring Install - Damage Front End?

Yes '08 SP X2 500 EFI - thanks for the info Spdecat!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Spdecat

Are you installing new front springs on a '08 Sportsman X2 500EFI if so I think your front end should be the same as my 08 500HO . If that's the case removing your existing front springs and installing new ones is a snap . You just pull the front storage box giving you access to the top mounts and away you go . Took me about 1 hour to pull my front springs and reinstall you only have to deal with all that other stuff if you have the older style . You don't need to drop the hub assembly and A arms, and remove the caliper .</end quote></div>

Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Yes '08 SP X2 500 EFI - thanks for the info Spdecat!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Spdecat

Are you installing new front springs on a '08 Sportsman X2 500EFI if so I think your front end should be the same as my 08 500HO . If that's the case removing your existing front springs and installing new ones is a snap . You just pull the front storage box giving you access to the top mounts and away you go . Took me about 1 hour to pull my front springs and reinstall you only have to deal with all that other stuff if you have the older style . You don't need to drop the hub assembly and A arms, and remove the caliper .</end quote></div>

Old 01-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

okay - I have no idea why I am getting double and triple posts the last couple of days. I only hit "Reply" once.

WTF????

Old 01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Well - that's kinda what I was thinking - but I wanted to wait until I get home to check it out and get a good visual fisrt.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sxrfun

I don't think you can really damage the front end by installing new springs....because if and when you happen to catch a bit of air with the front end the suspension with extend all the way anyways right. I think what you are referring to is installing a lift kit on the front end maybe? When you install a lift kit the drive shaft has clearance issues with the strut because of the increased angle it's on...so you have to grind off a bit of the strut. I could be completely wrong on this though...it happens alot according to the wife.</end quote></div>

Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: *5 J's*

Well - that's kinda what I was thinking - but I wanted to wait until I get home to check it out and get a good visual fisrt.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sxrfun

I don't think you can really damage the front end by installing new springs....because if and when you happen to catch a bit of air with the front end the suspension with extend all the way anyways right. I think what you are referring to is installing a lift kit on the front end maybe? When you install a lift kit the drive shaft has clearance issues with the strut because of the increased angle it's on...so you have to grind off a bit of the strut. I could be completely wrong on this though...it happens alot according to the wife.</end quote></div></end quote></div>

When the quad is assembled the struts limit/determine the length of travel. Once you unbolt the strut you can now over-extend the suspension and pull the CV jont apart. If that happens you will need to get a manual to see how to reassemble.
Just do like Moose said, only jack up the front end enough to get the springs out. Unbolt the strut before you raise the quad and then raise it only as much as necessary. After you install the new spring, use the weight of the quad to compress the spring for reassembly.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

5J's.......
It's a piece of cake.....No need to take it to the stealer.....Like others have said just leave the tires on and jack it up just enough to get the top of the strut out....45 min done...

John

Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

AH this is my topic...upon reading through thread after thread i am doing polaris heavy rate springs on my 2008 500 ho. I already bought the springs now i need a warm place to do them. I got 15% off cause the parts guy was nice so yea i'll be doin it soon. BTW i have a 60" steel plow on it..thats why im doin the spring upgrade!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Well - again excellent info on this forum. I am going to order a set tomorrow. I, like blkedoutsprtsman, will need to find a warm place to do this though. Supposed to be dropping to the low teens then next few days.

Can't thank you guys enough.

5-J's