Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

help with helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with helmets

I have been looking at buying a helmet for me and the wife. We live in N WI and ride the ATV's mainly in the summer but there are times we take the bike for a ride in the winter. It gets way below 0 here at times and I have been looking at several different styles of helmets and have no idea of which one to get.

I have been leaning towards a snowmobile style helmet as it is good in the winter and should work just fine in the summer. This is the style that has the plastic face sheild. There are so many different kinds and prices, what should I be looking for in a helmet?

I figured someone would be in the know. Thanks

Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

I'd look for a DOT and Snell approved helmet. They can get pretty expensive, so this is what I'd suggest. Go to a shop, and see what they have. If you find one you like, try it on. A good fit is as important as a good helmet.

Once you find a brand and size you like, go back home and shop online for it. You might be able to find a new last years model for half the price of a new this years model. Not being fashion conscious, but being cheap, this saved me quite a few dollars.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

I was looking at a few of the polaris helmets, the AT-1.5 and the cyclone. I liked the cyclone but it was a bit pricey. I think that they wanted around 170 dollars for one. The at-1.5 were better as far as price and looks goes but I didn'treally like the face shield as it has far fewer adjustments then the cyclone. The first adjustment for the 1.5 was open about 1/4 inches where the cyclone you could just crack slightly to let in some air.

Are there any drawbacks to using a full face shield helmet (snowmobile helmet) in the summer? I know that the face shield is going to get dusty. Just not really sure if a full face sheild helmet is going to be my best choice. I'm assuming that the polaris helmets are DOT rated?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, and also, when I tried some helmets on, I ended up fitting into the xxl the best with my glasses. I looked at a size chart and for my head size, I should be in a large size. I tried on the large and could barely fit it on, with my ears taking the brunt of the abuse. The xl fit ok, felt kinda snug and when I put my glasses on, they sat at a funny angle on my face because of the snugness of the fit. The xxl seemed to be the most comfortable, with little to no side movement. How snug should these things be?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

You should be able to get a finger in between the cheek pad and your cheek whithout much forcing (SNUG). You also need to check with other helmet MFG's as they all fit differently and some will fit you better than others!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

The Polaris helmets are DOT rated. Got a spare to use as a loaner, and the Polaris website had it on clearance for 50 bucks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I like mine pretty snug when it's new. The do tend to loosen a little as you wear them more. I've seen where a few people prefer the full face shield over the mx style face guard. Dust is unavoidable wearing either, IMO. With the face shield, you wouldn't be wearing goggles, so the dust isn't sealed out quite as well. The do make goggles that fit over glasses, so that may be something to consider as well.

I would say get the one you are most comfortable with. If you don't like the fit, there's a better chance you might just decide not to wear it. It only takes one time for that to be a bad decision. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

The Polaris helmets are DOT rated. Got a spare to use as a loaner, and the Polaris website had it on clearance for 50 bucks. [img][/img]

I like mine pretty snug when it's new. The do tend to loosen a little as you wear them more. I've seen where a few people prefer the full face shield over the mx style face guard. Dust is unavoidable wearing either, IMO. With the face shield, you wouldn't be wearing goggles, so the dust isn't sealed out quite as well. The do make goggles that fit over glasses, so that may be something to consider as well.

I would say get the one you are most comfortable with. If you don't like the fit, there's a better chance you might just decide not to wear it. It only takes one time for that to be a bad decision. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

The goggles he is refering to and the ones I like are calle Oakly L frames. You can pick up a pair for $35.00!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Colt, I tried the full face a couple years, after going with an open face & OTG goggles would not have the full again for atv. Being that you are close to the Wild River trail I know that gets dusty. The goggles keep MUCH more dust out of your eyes and it is real hard to see. I might suggest taking a trip over to the Dennis Kirk outlet in Rush City MN, not too far from you. Then you can try them on & they have some decent prices. Been meaning to get over there too as I need a new one. The helmet should be snug but not uncomfortable. Too tight will give you a heckuva headache & too loose it don't protect you. Should be able to shake head & it not flop around. They are also online. http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/...Id=10103&sort=priceasc

Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

Ok thanks. I'm still leaning towards the full face helmet right now as I will be able to use it in the winter and we do some riding in the winter. I used a full face one when I went riding in the black hills this fall and it got dusty, but nothing got in my eyes. I rode the wild rivers trail all last year with no helmet or goggles and although goggles would have been nice at times, I didn't have much of a problem. I'm assuming that the full face one would be best suited for my needs.

Thanks again.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: colt100

Ok thanks. I'm still leaning towards the full face helmet right now as I will be able to use it in the winter and we do some riding in the winter. I used a full face one when I went riding in the black hills this fall and it got dusty, but nothing got in my eyes. I rode the wild rivers trail all last year with no helmet or goggles and although goggles would have been nice at times, I didn't have much of a problem. I'm assuming that the full face one would be best suited for my needs.

Thanks again.</end quote></div>

The only part about snow helmets is that they can get pretty hot in the summer as they are not designed for ventilation ........

I just got my Wife a DOT/Snell approved helmet by HJC for $80 at RMATV......It is usually a $140 lid but this is the time of year to get MX helmets cheap......

FWIW the helmet should fit kind of snug at first because after a few rides the initial foam will break down and for around your head. You don't want the helmet to move on your head, you want it to be tight enough so that there are no gaps between the liner and your skull.

Also don't wast your money on a DOT approved helmet..... they are NOT tested very well if at all.....For a few bucks more you can get SNELL. You want a SNELL approved helmet at the very least. Anything that is SNELL is also DOT by default...... But a DOT test only consists of a 10-foot drop test of the shell. A SNELL test actually involves the foam, and crush capacity, and density reaction to impact.

Quick Reply: help with helmets