Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

help with helmets

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with helmets

Scorpion EXO

Colt I bought a Scorpion EXO 400 full face for my street bike. I found it on eBay private seller mainly because I have a large head 3xl. Some 2xl I could not pull down over my ears. The best thing the Scorpions have is ventilation and the pads. They helmet liner and cheek pads are made of KwikWick® moisture-wicking material. They are breathable, easily removable and washable. I always had problems with my head sweating in a helmet. The EXO has good air flow without creating a lot of noise. Then during the colder times you can shut the vents off and stay warmer. They also sell accessories for cold weather. The Electric Conversion Kit has the heated dual-pane electric shield, electrical cords, EverClear® sunvisor, breathbox and aeroskirt. You can also buy them separately. They are Snell and DOT Approved expect the 3xl that is only DOT Approved.

Also a helmet should fit very snug if new. If the XL can move around it is too loose. Grab the helmet at the back of your neck with your hand. If you move it forward and back easily without the strap on, it is too loose. This is one of the biggest mistakes parents make in buying a helmet for a child thinking that "they can grow into." I saw a child lose his life and in my opinion the loose helmet was the cause. Not trying to start a debate on this subject, but when the Paramedics got to the boy his face was on the inside of the cheek pad. Most who witness this accident thought it had snapped his neck around. I know many who ride without helmets and that is your personal rights. I have been on both ends. I have gone down with and without a helmet on. I might ride my ATV around the yard a little without one, but when I hit the trails or ride my road bike I'm wearing one.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

When people ask why I choose to ride with a helmet, I give them a reply most can't argue with.

I didn't buy all this stuff for my wife's next husband. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: colt100

I have been looking at buying a helmet for me and the wife. We live in N WI and ride the ATV's mainly in the summer but there are times we take the bike for a ride in the winter. It gets way below 0 here at times and I have been looking at several different styles of helmets and have no idea of which one to get.

I have been leaning towards a snowmobile style helmet as it is good in the winter and should work just fine in the summer. This is the style that has the plastic face sheild. There are so many different kinds and prices, what should I be looking for in a helmet?

I figured someone would be in the know. Thanks</end quote></div>

I just bought this helmet and this place had the best price I found anywhere. I was looking for the same thing as you. Arai and Shoei both have similar helmets but at 3 & 4 times the cost. Simpson also had one but it was discontinued. I read some reviews on GMAX and their helmets are a good buy for the money. I should get the helmet near week's end and can let you know what I think.

Dual sport helmet

Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

nice one - lol

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

When people ask why I choose to ride with a helmet, I give them a reply most can't argue with.

I didn't buy all this stuff for my wife's next husband. [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Helmets don't get much better than this.

http://www.araiamericas.com/helmets/xd3.html

Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Banned

i bought the snuggest helmet i could find. then wrapped my goggles around it. hated having a little wiggle when i rode. hated having to put goggles on...then pull helmet over goggles and strap (which would then fall down)

this simplified everything. would highly reccomend

Old 01-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

Also don't wast your money on a DOT approved helmet..... they are NOT tested very well if at all.....For a few bucks more you can get SNELL. You want a SNELL approved helmet at the very least. Anything that is SNELL is also DOT by default...... But a DOT test only consists of a 10-foot drop test of the shell. A SNELL test actually involves the foam, and crush capacity, and density reaction to impact.</end quote></div>

Completely agree with ss97 on this one! Take the time...and spend a little more for a SNELL approved helmet.

I have only used SHOEI for the last 20 years...and have never been disappointed with the quality. As a matter of fact...it actually saved me once back when I was in my teens and thought my Yamaha 200cc 3-wheeler could make the "big" jump! Well...we didn't make it...and I landed on head and shoulder. Head ended up OK...but shoulder ended up with a cracked bone.

YES...SHOEI do cost...but IMO...worth every penny. Just my .02 here...

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Trailblazer

which is cheaper a helmat or being on a vent for the rest of your life.
buy the best helmat that you can afford

Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

I always say $10 head then buy a $10 helmet.

With the XP's coming this weekend I also need to get a few helmets.