Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.
View Poll Results: do you have dual batterys on your atv? is it usefull or hurtful? past exsperiance on this? i run a w
yes. its helpfull. iv had and it works.
50.00%
no. its not helpfull. iv had it. or know it wont work.
50.00%
iv added a bigger capicity battery insted of dual batterys and it works.
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

2000 polaris diesel - 2008 polaris 500 ho

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 polaris diesel - 2008 polaris 500 ho

like to know who has a polaris diesel. i like to see pics of where the 2 batterys are. i know the one is on the left side under the rear fender where all the batterys are on the polaris. but like to know where the scond is. id like to add a second to my 2008 sportsman 500. i need some pics.

thanks

Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Those machines are different generations and different frames, I would highly doubt that you would find a place to mount a second battery.

Why do you want a second battery?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

There is a company out there that manufactures a kit to add a second battery to your bike . I'm trying to find it but someone else should know its in my favorites somewhere .

Old 01-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Koerbs. i rember my 2000 335 frame. its got to close. just for the fact there was storage box in the same spot. yes i under stand theres a 8 yr differance, and changes have been made. i also looked at the polaris 800s and seen where there battery was. i know thats not gona work. that is a differnt frame. my old 2000 and my 2008 are alike. but i looked at my wheeler. it lookes there is enough room under the rear storage box on top of the tranny. i just need to either make a box or find on that will fit. but now that i dont have a shop to work in, im pretty much limited to what i can do, besides paying someone to make one.

the reson for the second battery is becuse i do short drives, and haveing my hand warmer, thumb warmer, my 6 911ep stars, work lights, headlights, winch on, and when the fan kicks in my battery indacator comes on, and my lights dim when i hit the winch to raise the plow. iv added L.E.D. taillight bulbs, and L.E.D. work light bulbs to cut the drain. iv tryed to shutting things off, but seems with the headlights on ,and useing the winch its fine, but the cooling fan must really draw. i just want to add a second battery so i get better starting power, and so when the fan kicks on it wont kill everything! i also have interstate dt78 1000ca 800cca truck battery that is new. but its to big to put anywhere. if anyone is in the central mn area ill trade ya for a new atv battery. this ones worth about $150. i never used it, and it one month old.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

If you add a second battery it isn't going to help your problem, your battery indicator comes on from you drawing way too much power and not producing enough to replace it. In fact, you drop your voltage from that many accessories and you will almost certanly damage your ECM. To begin with a second battery may appear to help but once you draw on it for a bit it will act like you only have one. These are STARTING batterys, not DEEP CYCLES, they arn't made to run all that crap. Your battery isn't the problem, its those small alternators.

On the otherhand, the twin bikes have a huge alternator and they don't have the problem that the single slugs have because they can produce the power to run most anything you can put on a atv.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

humm. thats gay!! youd think polaris would have improved this over the yrs since atvs are being used for everything. from plowing snow to mowing lawns. i can under stand the now smaller sized 400 and 300 sportsmans with the small alternators. but not the 500s and up. so is there anyway to get a bigger alternators? theres got to some way to up the POWER!!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

most people remove the tool storage under the seat and fab a battery box to fit..i have heard of alot of people doing this with great results..seems like Koerbs is getting awful opionated (i hope i dont get the spell check cops called on me)..if you go to the HIGHLIFTER site almost everybody is running dual batts.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: onesavage

most people remove the tool storage under the seat and fab a battery box to fit..i have heard of alot of people doing this with great results..seems like Koerbs is getting awful opionated (i hope i dont get the spell check cops called on me)..if you go to the HIGHLIFTER site almost everybody is running dual batts.</end quote></div>

Dual batteries arn't going to help when you are running all those accessories, your atv alternator can only produce so much power, and if you are drawing more than it produces, you will run out of power eventually, I don't care if you have ten batteries, its common sense. If you shut the accessories off once in a while and let the alternator recover the battery(s) then it will offer some help and longevity, but its just too much draw on that system to leave that stuff on constantly.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koerbs

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: onesavage

most people remove the tool storage under the seat and fab a battery box to fit..i have heard of alot of people doing this with great results..seems like Koerbs is getting awful opionated (i hope i dont get the spell check cops called on me)..if you go to the HIGHLIFTER site almost everybody is running dual batts.</end quote></div>

Dual batteries arn't going to help when you are running all those accessories, your atv alternator can only produce so much power, and if you are drawing more than it produces, you will run out of power eventually, I don't care if you have ten batteries, its common sense. If you shut the accessories off once in a while and let the alternator recover the battery(s) then it will offer some help and longevity, but its just too much draw on that system to leave that stuff on constantly.</end quote></div>

Actually if current output from your alt (amps) is the problem then adding a second battery is going to make the problem worse. Even when fully charged a battery has a float or trickle current draw (fully charged battery is about 13.8V output of your alt is 14+V. Current will flow through the battery anytime the alt voltage is higher than the voltage of the bat.)

What is even worse is that you will eventually have 2 batteries that have run cycles where they have not been fully recharged. This will reduce their capacity over time and eventually lead to their failure.

Also, unless the batteries are isolated from one and other, they can leak down across one and other. This may not be an issue if both batteries are identical and new AND you charge them frequently. If one battery starts to go bad it may damage the other (discharge). This is why they used to make battery isolators for RVs and pick ups and such. Isolators use a diode that also causes a ½ volt (or more) voltage drop adding to the charge time and current limiting. An ideal situation involves wiring in such a way that one battery is used for starting only and the other is for the accessories. This would require an isolator.

Russ

Old 01-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

so would it be bettr just to change the battery to a bigger capicity battery?

i was also gona ask is there some way to put or change to a bigger alternator?

Quick Reply: 2000 polaris diesel - 2008 polaris 500 ho