Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First time on the ice this year

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009 | 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Default First time on the ice this year

Man, that salmon is making me hungry. Best I ever caught through the ice was a 15-16" rainbow. Nice fat fish and really good eating. My advice on ice fishing. Live shiners. (minnows) Hook through the lip and the swim alot longer. Through the back and they squirm better.

Old 01-11-2009 | 06:15 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well - got skunked today. Guy I was fishing with got a 15" Rainbow and a 15" Salmon. Caught a bunch of white perch.

Yesterday i used shiners - today I used smelts. To most people around my way think smelts ($7.00/dz) are the ticket, but I usually use shiners ($2.99/dz). Guess I'll stick with my shiners next time.

By the way - the fish in the pic looked just like a Salmon, but today showing some pics to my buddy I noticed the square tail. I think it's actually a Brown trout. Spots don't look like a brown - but tail definately does.

Anyway - the SP500 X2 got me, my daughter, my son, and all my gear out there toaday. (thought I better have mention to a popo in the thread - lol)

Old 01-11-2009 | 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I kind of think it is a dull colored rainbow. I don't know what part of the country you are in though. Colors vary a bit state to state and alot when you move across the country.

Old 01-11-2009 | 07:42 PM
|
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MooseHenden

I kind of think it is a dull colored rainbow. I don't know what part of the country you are in though. Colors vary a bit state to state and alot when you move across the country.</end quote></div>

Well - the pic has a little more color than the actual fish - but It does have a distictive line down it's side. Tail is still a little more sqaure than a Rainbow IMO.

Here's another pic.

Name:  P1100259.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  76.5 KB

Old 01-11-2009 | 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Large brookie??? Biggest I ever got were in the 1-1 1/2 lb. range when I canoed the Allagash River in Northern Maine. Had fish for breakfast a couple days on that trip.

Old 01-12-2009 | 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 94harley

That looks like fun. i have a private lake I fish in the summer time and caught 19.5 in. rainbows in November. I miss it so much. Never ice fished though. Now I want to seeing the pic!!! Any hints on Ice fishin? Maybe I need to try it. Cute kid too. It's always a better trip when the kiddies catch good ones!</end quote></div>

I too enjoy icefishing and that is a real nice fish.I Just got back from Tongue River reservoir in South Eastern Mont. but did`nt do so good.LOL
If anyone wants some info on icefishing please check this site.My handle is MrMarty51 on the Shanty too also.LOL
http://www.iceshanty.com/

I hope I do`nt get in trouble for posting this.If there is a problem then please let Me know and I will do what I can about pulling this post.

Old 01-12-2009 | 11:03 AM
|
Pro Rider

No - it's a brown. Biologist says that Salmon and Brown's can look a lot alike when they share the same water. They can tell the difference by their teeth.

Sure wish it was a brookie that big. I would have it mounted.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MooseHenden

Large brookie??? Biggest I ever got were in the 1-1 1/2 lb. range when I canoed the Allagash River in Northern Maine. Had fish for breakfast a couple days on that trip.</end quote></div>

Old 01-12-2009 | 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Ice fishing is the best, up here we can get over 5 feet of ice and the worlds best walleye fishing. We won't get that much ice this year because we have a ton of snow.

Old 01-12-2009 | 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

We havent been getting any ice or snow in Oklahoma, but I sure would like to ty ice fishing the only thing we get to catch here is Bass, catfish and Sawgeyes, Ice fishing is a blast if you have a little heat.

Old 01-12-2009 | 03:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good looking fish 5J's!

You just package it right up and get it out in the mail to me for dinner tonight! LOL!

BTW, where did you buy that sled and how do you like it?

Quick Reply: First time on the ice this year