Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Pretty sweet cross country style video of the 850..

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty sweet cross country style video of the 850..

yeah! purdy kewl!! i liked the drift on the snowy road the best.....think im gonna go fer a putt afta watching dat....thx fer sharing

Old 01-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

Nice video thanks.

BTW, when he was drifting with it, do you think it was in 2w or 4X4?</end quote></div>

I'd bet he was in AWD the whole time...2wd is good for showing off but 4x4 is alot better in where there is less than perfect traction and time is money so to speak....

Edit-just watched if a little closer...definitely in AWD..

Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 PM
DCT
Banned

Good find HO... nice video.

Anyhow, my German is a little rusty (OK, more than a little LOL), but I'll try and summarize...

He likes the quad, but thinks the tires "suck" (imagine that). LOL He's impressed with the power (calls it "a lot of steam under the seat), but thinks the weight of the quad has an affect on the handling while trail riding.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Obviously Stefan know what he is doing. Here is my worthless 2 cent on that part Dave..
By the weight having an affect I am guessing he means the pushing..the weight and or balance does play a big part in that..but IMO on the XP alot of that can be corrected with simply better tires..notice the obvious pushing in the turns,there is one time it is very obvious on the video..that is a lack of lateral traction.the weight/ front to rear balance combined with the front A-arm suspension IMO.. it is greatly exacerbated by the stock tires weakness at lateral traction,any traction for that matter. I pointed out the pushing in turns a long time ago and the hope that is was mostly the stock tires. I recently tested mine at higher speed cornering with the XTRs for the first time, the pushing is alot less..it will nearly sling you off in the turn and rolling become a bigger concern than the push IMO..of cousre I wasn't on snow though. Most of that is due to the added tires,some maybe due to the extra weight I have up front also(if my weights are correct the stock machine is quite a bit heavier out back than up front, I wish I would have weighed it with me on it to see waht the split was!)
In anycase, add some good tires,and in Stefan's case maybe some high dollar shocks and it will be a night and day difference..I'm sure he is well aware of that though,lol
In the end she is heavy and that will have a negative affect on that syle riding,but as usual it can be made quite a bit better than stock. I wonder how the lighter 550 would do under similar conditions? .

Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
DCT
Banned

Yep, obviously, that guy can ride and get the most of a quad by pushing it to it's limits. That's the only way to find out it's limitations.

However, keep in mind, my German (reading of it) is so rusty, he could have been talking about the Playmate of the month. LOL LOL If I was actually speaking to him, I would be able to translate better.

If you know him, maybe he can give us the English version. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know him..but I'll see what I can do..I do know how to contact him..
I sent him a link to this thread,who knows maybe he will join up and pop in..

Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer

Here is the link to translate the German page into English. Just click the read more to go to full story.

850 XP translated

Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Just translate it on your browser.

Some tires with a better sidewall and some side lugs would really help.

With your setup HO, you have to remember that your wheels play a big role in stability. Even in stock form, the XP impresses even the best of riders.

Rath racing/Polaris raced the Xp with stock tires and did well. Imagine what they could do with some holeshots or bighorns.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LE850XP

Here is the link to translate the German page into English. Just click the read more to go to full story.

850 XP translated</end quote></div>

I did that earlier,maybe it will work better for everyone else,for me..I think Dave did a better job,lol...

Old 01-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Roofer

Just translate it on your browser.

Some tires with a better sidewall and some side lugs would really help.

With your setup HO, you have to remember that your wheels play a big role in stability. Even in stock form, the XP impresses even the best of riders.</end quote></div>

Oh I do remember that..the wider track definitely helps stability,but not so much with the push..

Looks like Stefan is looking at the Terracrosses from what he posted on HL..

Quick Reply: Pretty sweet cross country style video of the 850..