Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Glacier II mount bent like a pretzel!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009 | 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Glacier II mount bent like a pretzel!

Dave..stop breaking stuff...
J/K..there is a thread on HL about a guy bending the GlacierII mount on his XP..sorry I know nothing about plow mounts...
But hey on a positive note we are supposedly going to get 2-4 inches here tomorrow...keeping my fingers crossed...

Old 01-19-2009 | 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

double post...apparently my computer sucks...lol

Old 01-19-2009 | 09:55 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: *5 J's*

Dave - got thinking about this. Isn't most of the stress the mount would see directly related to how tight you have the spring on the plow? I know if I drop down to much and catch something the plow will fold over. Kinda

annoying at times but it keeps me from stressing the mount too much.

What do you think caused the stress that bent your mount?</end quote></div>

The stress on the mount would have alot to do with the spring tension. I don't have a plow for my atv as I have a 9' blade for my truck, way faster but I know not 1/2 as much fun as using the atv. I know a few guys that thought it would be a good idea to really crank up the spring tension on their truck blades only to discover that they were bending mounts and breaking frames on their trucks. Not sure if it's the same for atv plows, but I know for my truck you put just enough tension so that you can see a tiny bit of light coming through the spring, or just enough to slide a piece of paper between the coils of the spring. Not sure if this helps at all or not. :-)

Old 01-20-2009 | 06:21 AM
Trailblazer

You guys are really making me nervous now. I will have to go out and check my mounts. I have used the 60" plow about 6 times so far this winter and maybe 3 times last year and it seems to work fine. Did hit some driveway cracks a couple of times last storm and flipped the plow forward. Noticed that the spring tension on the right side was so loose that the spring could fall right off of the eye bolt. Tightened her up almost to the max and seemed to be fine thereafter. Not sure what I will do if it needs to be tightened again as there are only a couple of threads left on the eyebolt. I suppose I could always replace the spring. I fould that my hand truck works great for moving the plow around. I have the ATV in a shed and the plow in the garage. The 5' plow won't go through the 4' shed door so I have to haul it about 15' every time I want to hook her up. A little too heavy to swing under an arm and carry. Next year I will build a 10 x 12 shed for the ATV and the snow blower and be able to leave the plow mounted.

Old 01-20-2009 | 06:55 AM
DCT
|
Banned

Well, I have the eye bolts for the springs just about all the way out. The "second" set of springs that I got seemed to be a stronger set, that's why I adjusted the springs a little looser because of the added strength of the springs. There's not much more adjustment there, so if that's the issue, then it would never be right away. Doesn't matter anyway, as I'm getting the Eagle System unless my dealer can strengthen a new Glacier mount with some heavy duty plate and welding.

Old 01-20-2009 | 06:57 AM
DCT
|
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: *5 J's*

Well knock on wood - but I think I've been pretty hard on my Moose RM3 and have not had any issues. Reading these posts and the similiarity to the Glacier II I do keep an eye out for bending in the mounting plate.

Hopefully, I didn't just jinx myself. lol

*5 J's*,

At the end of the season I'll post pics of the RM3 so all can see how well or not it's holding up.</end quote></div>

Sure hope for your sake that the RM3 is made to higher standards than the Glacier II.

Old 01-20-2009 | 07:03 AM
DCT
|
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Dave..stop breaking stuff...

J/K..there is a thread on HL about a guy bending the GlacierII mount on his XP..sorry I know nothing about plow mounts...

But hey on a positive note we are supposedly going to get 2-4 inches here tomorrow...keeping my fingers crossed...</end quote></div>

LOL HO... Easy to break the junk stuff.

Not good to hear about the Glacier II mount on the XP. Obviously, it can be done by "abuse", but I really didn't abuse it. However, my driveway is big, and all dirt. It's not easy to plow. So, I need a REAL PLOW SYSTEM. Not a "borderline" system that you have to baby.

Sure hope Eagle comes out with a mount for the XP if I buy the Eagle System. That way I would only have to buy a new mount. If they don't, then there will be no "XP" in my future. That's right... I'm buying an ATV around a Plow System. LOL

Old 01-20-2009 | 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Sure hope for your sake that the RM3 is made to higher standards than the Glacier II.</end quote></div>

I hope so. I also have a large driveway - and it's all gravel. I do have my plow springs set pretty soft, so the plow flops over often - but I think this saves stress on the mount.

Old 01-20-2009 | 11:41 AM
DCT
|
Banned

Well the good new is that folks who make the American Eagle Plow got back to me, and the do make a mount for the XP. So, if I buy an XP, or just about any other ATV, I will only have to get a new mount. The Eagle Plow and frame will all work.

Old 01-20-2009 | 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

DCT..
That's good to hear....Now when you going to get an XP??????

John

Quick Reply: Glacier II mount bent like a pretzel!