Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Glacier II mount bent like a pretzel!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glacier II mount bent like a pretzel!

I have read posts about Moose, Eagle, Cycle Country.....darn near every plow, and how they don't hold up. This is the first I have heard about the Glacier II's though.

I'm almost positive that every plow has warnings on them not to exceed 5-10 mph, depending on the brand. Ya, I know, that's tough to do.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jchunn

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DCT

Yep, and talking to a couple of guys who bought the Moose system and put it on themselves, they said the boxes the mount came in said "Made in China"... wouldn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Although, I've also been told that some of the Glacier II systems were made in Canada... who know???

Whatever the case... they are borderline at best.

Thanks for posting the pics up again mt.</end quote></div>

I wouldn't knock the Moose plows. I have yet to hear anything bad about them, and there two active threads in this forum about busted, bent, twisted, mangled mounts with the Glaciers. I did a nose-dive off of a 3 foot snow bank onto my 50'' Moose (oops, that AWD is a little better than I realized) and it didn't even flinch... nothing bent, nothing broken, nothing loose. I just continued plowing as if it never happened.

Of course, now I've jinxed myself and it will probably fall off tomorrow.</end quote></div>

Talking specifically about the new Moose RM3 system. The push tube Moose systems may be fine. Glad you are having luck with yours.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Roofer

I have read posts about Moose, Eagle, Cycle Country.....darn near every plow, and how they don't hold up. This is the first I have heard about the Glacier II's though.

I'm almost positive that every plow has warnings on them not to exceed 5-10 mph, depending on the brand. Ya, I know, that's tough to do.</end quote></div>

There are a bunch of posts on issues with the Glacier II... some from last year. Wish I would have read them before I purchased.

BTW, a guy over on HL busted off a bolt and bent the mount on his Glacier II on an XP... of course, it could have been "driver" related.

Good luck with yours.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Thanks DCT, but no plow on my XP. My dad (who usually breaks everything) has a Glacier II on his 08 Sp800 and a Polaris 3500 lb winch. We have gotten plenty of snow this year, so I asked him how it has been. He said he loves it........I don't know. I'll have to warn him about what I'm hearing from the owners here.
They also have push tubes available for the Glacier Plow if that might be a possibility for you.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

Yep, and talking to a couple of guys who bought the Moose system and put it on themselves, they said the boxes the mount came in said "Made in China"... wouldn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Although, I've also been told that some of the Glacier II systems were made in Canada... who know???

I wouldn't knock the Moose plows. I have yet to hear anything bad about them, and there two active threads in this forum about busted, bent, twisted, mangled mounts with the Glaciers. I did a nose-dive off of a 3 foot snow bank onto my 50'' Moose (oops, that AWD is a little better than I realized) and it didn't even flinch... nothing bent, nothing broken, nothing loose. I just continued plowing as if it never happened.

Of course, now I've jinxed myself and it will probably fall off tomorrow.</end quote></div>

Talking specifically about the new Moose RM3 system. The push tube Moose systems may be fine. Glad you are having luck with yours.</end quote></div>

Understood, and thanks. I don't know if mine is a "push tube" or not since I know nothing about plows... this one came with my used 95 Sportsman without any documentation or manual or whatever. All I know is it mounts to a plate on the bottom of the quad with two pins and then the winch hook holds up (and lowers) the blade. There are pictures in my profile, although I'm not sure how much you can tell about the plow from those pictures.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wouldn't knock the Moose plows. I have yet to hear anything bad about them, and there two active threads in this forum about busted, bent, twisted, mangled mounts with the Glaciers. I did a nose-dive off of a 3 foot snow bank onto my 50'' Moose (oops, that AWD is a little better than I realized) and it didn't even flinch... nothing bent, nothing broken, nothing loose. I just continued plowing as if it never happened.</end quote></div>

Dude, yours is a completely different model! You don't have the Moose RM3.
Don't you have to use 2 pins UNDER the ATV to hook it up?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

Dude, yours is a completely different model! You don't have the Moose RMS.

Don't you have to use 2 pins UNDER the ATV to hook it up?</end quote></div>

Yes. After jumping into this conversation without knowing what I was talking about, I did a little research. I have the "push tube" type of setup that mounts under the frame, just under where the seat meets the tank, with two pins. Sorry if I created any confusion. I now have a much better understanding of the various plows and mounts.

I just got my first quad about three weeks ago, and it needed a LOT of work (95 model), so I am learning as I go... trying to sip from the firehose as they say... so I just assumed (yeah, I know what that means) that they were all similar.

The good news is that I am fast becoming quite knowledgable about Polaris quads and the various accessories. With the help of this forum I have already diagnosed and solved a bunch of very challenging issues.

Again, forgive me for my ignorance, and thanks for the correction.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ManAtArms

It sounds like most people are busting up their XP G2 mounting plates....my G2 mount is still true (thankfully), However....I managed to twist the "push tube" arms slightly to the right....

This picture was taken with the plow in the "center" position.

I wouldn't say I've abused this plow in any way. I've definitely hit small obstacles with it, such as you would normally encounter during any plowing operation. I also plow a 1/2 mile gravel drive with the blade angled to the right.

Maybe I should angle the blade to the left to bend it back! LOL!</end quote></div>

ManAtArms,

OUCH! BTW, I can't understand why the plow arms have to drop down the way they do. That makes it weak imo and thus the above happens!

Sometimes my bar arms rub the ground! Two inches at best for clearance.

Not a good design! They should come-out straight and strong.

(Take a side pic for everyone to see if you get a chance.)

Old 01-21-2009, 06:59 PM
DCT
Banned

Ouch... that plow is bent pretty bad... there not much. At least with the Moose RM3 system you get a HD plow and plow frame... who knows yet about the mount?

Update on mine... took it to the dealer today. I had a talk to the mechanic and showed him the damage. He actually said mine wasn't too bad, and proceeded to show me another one in the shop where the carriage bolt on the one side was pushed into the radiator and the rad was leaking. Mechanic said the frame on mine could be pulled out without too much trouble, but he's seen "many" that were worse. He also said (in a laughing tone) that the good thing about the Glacier II mounts is that they can be straightened out "very" easy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Anyhow, after that discussion, I had a little talk to my dealer. He's said "he will take care of it". I'm not sure what that means yet, but he has agreed to sell my plow and discuss the issue with Polaris. We'll see when I go to pick it up, as I told him that I don't want another one of those POS mounts on mine. I'll cut my losses and run... and get a good system. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

DCT,

I forgot about the possible radiator damage. Now I remember when my first plate bent the bolts up-front pressed slightly against the radiator.

Darn good thing I stoped when I did or my dealer would have been replacing my radiator to!

Be sure that you G2 owners keep a careful watch on the distance between the bolts and your radiator!

~MT