Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIRE SLIME

All,

I put a whole bottle of green slime in my rear left
tire on my SP800 a couple of weeks ago to remedy
a slow leak problem. It looked liked it worked at
first but now I see it losing air again. No visable
signs of tear, nail, hole etc. FYI, I filled up to 5PSI
and ran around afterwards for it to apply internally.
Opinions?

Also, how many recommend as a preventative tire
care measure to add slime in all tires? What are the
PROs and CONs?

Thanks,

R'

Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TIRE SLIME

i dont like the stuff because it wont always fix the problem but a plug will always get you back to the trucks. makes it a real PITA when you try to change the tire with hand tools too

Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default TIRE SLIME

RticKwad I have only used any of that type stuff as a last resort when needed to get me where I need to go... I know Slime says it is good for 2 years..but IMO it is a bandaid..
Also if the leak didn't get coated well..or it the leak is around the bead or on the sidewall it might not completely seal the leak..
Also alot of the little kits contain a small bottle but the say you need 24-32 oz. for an ATV tire...
Agree a plug or patch is the way to go...if it is a bead leak you might just need to breat it down and clean the bead surface..you really need to find out where it is leaking and go from there..

Old 01-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default TIRE SLIME

I use it in my 800 about 32oz per tire mostly cuz I have lots of old Barb wire pieces laying around and sticks, glass etc.

It isn't perfect. I put it in during the summer, find it is still liquid and active today.
My tires never lost air and so far still hold.

Cons, some have said it dries out and can make your tires seriously out of balance. Not experienced that yet.
It doesn't fix everything. I concur - it won't keep my wheelbarrow tire inflated. Period......

Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TIRE SLIME

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigBros_Farmtoys
It doesn't fix everything. I concur - it won't keep my wheelbarrow tire inflated. Period......</end quote></div>

wheelbarrow tires are DESIGNED to go flat after 3 hours of non use. atleast that is what i have come to believe because i have yet to use one without a flat tire!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default TIRE SLIME

I wouldn't use the stuff. Having been in the tire repair biz...what a mess that stuff makes when it comes time for a real repair. It will throw your tire out of balance. Not like they are well balanced anyway, but it will be worse. WAY noticable on car tires. I've seen the stuff degrade and ruin tires. I recall a guy that had 36" swampers on his lifted truck...2 tires had leaks. Broke the tires down, both had slime, both were ruined. The interior had degraded. He had the stuff in there for years as a "preventative" measure. It absorbed into the rubber...not good.

Your tire may need a simple valve or to have the bead reseated. Probably the bead, that was the most common leak I saw on atv tires...little rock or twigs get forced in the bead...leak.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Range Rover
Default TIRE SLIME

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: eggenz7

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigBros_Farmtoys

It doesn't fix everything. I concur - it won't keep my wheelbarrow tire inflated. Period......</end quote></div>

wheelbarrow tires are DESIGNED to go flat after 3 hours of non use. atleast that is what i have come to believe because i have yet to use one without a flat tire!</end quote></div>

this is true i have used it on the wheel barrow and it help but noooo it didn't seal and i have heard from my buddies that it is useless in freezing temps which for me is 2-3 months a year i am having the same issue and i think i'm gonna plug.....
what i wonder is how big a hole will apatch work with and is a patch a do-it-yourself kinda thing??

Trending Topics

Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default TIRE SLIME

anything but a new tire is a "band-aid". patch is best, then plug, then slime. but slime has worked well for me in the past and i will continue to use it. it is a mess when you change a tire, but will help plug leaks from punctures. what slime is not good at is stopping valve leaks or bead leaks...which is probably what you have. take it to a tire shop(or dealer if under warrenty) and have them break the bead and reset the tire on the rim, and possible replace the valve.

tire slime is a preventative measure and a temporary fix more than a perminate solution for every tire problem.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TIRE SLIME

well i'll throw my cheap .02 in. i have used this product a few times w/ pretty good results. i also have had it not work and i think it depends on the leak and wheather you use the bike or not. you need to use at least 32 oz because of the low air pressure used in the atv tires. i agree(i have done it a couple of times)that it makes a hell of a mess when it comes time to change the tire out. i also up to 70 mph have not had any out of balance issuses on my 800 w/ slime in. i do know there is cheap off brand of this product that i didnt have good luck with so i stick to the name brand "slime". i have used both tire plugs and slime together on a bad side wall cut and if it wasnt for the slime it would not have sealed completely as i saw it come out thru the cut a little before it sealed/dryied. in the worse case put a tube in the tire after you put a inside patch over the hole. imo.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Default TIRE SLIME

Wow, great info. all! My immediate problem is really identifying "WHERE" the leak maybe as why
I thought this tire was a good candidate for "SLIME" (yes name brand). I called around here the
last time I had a side tear issue on my SP450 for a patch job and the cheapest was $40 for repair
service. I think I'd rather throw that money to a new tire though, unless I get the goods to do tire
repair (tubes, patches, bead tools) myself. Dang, these aftermarket tires are looking better and better
already, LOL..LOL

R'

Quick Reply: TIRE SLIME