Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winch problems while plowing

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009 | 01:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Winch problems while plowing

Here we go:

Warn RT30- 3,000lb

Warn RT25- 2,500 lb $289 seems like a fair price for a top-quality winch!

Old 01-31-2009 | 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

i think your going to find the switch is either dirty(bad contacts) or is going bad as some of the rocker switches have been. imo.</end quote></div>

x2 on this reply i had the same problem but i got a rocker switch
for free from my deal here

Old 01-31-2009 | 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Good buy!

R'

Old 01-31-2009 | 06:44 PM
|
Trailblazer

whoa mt, tell me how you really feel about Polaris winches. LOL Unfortunately, I need to take the cheap way out so I will probably just try to repair the contactor, but thanks for the links. If my ticket hits tonight, watch out...

Old 01-31-2009 | 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 2007 500 EFI X2 has the exact same problem. Thanks for the details on how to access the contactor solenoid Skunksquasher! I was just about to ask!

Does anyone know if you can substitute a better quality contactor from say, Warn....and would it fit in the same spot?

Thanks

My local dealer went belly up this year. I had them replace the entire winch for this same problem last winter, and thought the whole machine was covered under their 2 year extended warranty through Polaris. If I had to haul it in for warranty again, I have to go quite a ways for another dealer. Sucks!
Obviously either they never changed the contactor...or it failed again!

Old 02-01-2009 | 07:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

The cheapest place I found for a contactor or any kind of winch parts is from KFI Products. Yes they are out of the US check it out I have there 3000 lb winch that I use on my plow for 2 years with no problems.

Old 02-01-2009 | 08:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JSRIII

whoa mt, tell me how you really feel about Polaris winches. LOL Unfortunately, I need to take the cheap way out so I will probably just try to repair the contactor, but thanks for the links. If my ticket hits tonight, watch out...</end quote></div>

LOL!! My Polaris 2,500 lb winches were BRAND NEW and started acting up in the very first snow storm. My dealer replaced them THREE times!LOL!

Here's how each one went:

-Spool out won't go up
-goes up won't go down
-can't remember

These winches didn't wear-out, the were simply Pure-Junk right out of the box. I don't think replacing this and that thinking it wore out is going to do the trick imo.

$289 (free shipping) seems like a fair price. Maybe we can take-up a collection for you? LOL!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyways, winch topics are always an exciting topic!!!LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] J/K

Old 02-01-2009 | 11:18 AM
|
Trailblazer

I did look at Fleabay and saw a Polaris winch for sale that said it was made by WARN. I will have to go look at mine now and see if it says any such thing. There was actually a WARN label on the Polaris box pictured in the ad.

Old 02-01-2009 | 11:24 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JSRIII

I did look at Fleabay and saw a Polaris winch for sale that said it was made by WARN. I will have to go look at mine now and see if it says any such thing. There was actually a WARN label on the Polaris box pictured in the ad.</end quote></div>

Polaris had (has?) an OEM deal with Warn, so SOME Polaris winches were (are?) made by Warn... and the ones that are made by Warn do not seem to have the same problems that the ones that are not made by Warn have. If it is made by Warn, it will clearly say Warn on the winch, along with the Polaris name.

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

for the 100 bucks for the contactor Id just go on flebay and buy a Gorrilla winch thats what I did and have not had a problem with 150 hrs I got in the past 3 weeks plowing. with the polaris model it would act up at least 1 every night . In fact I broke the clutch release of the side of the winch 1 night using it to let it down. Also was my 2nd winch and contactor in under the first 8 months

Quick Reply: Winch problems while plowing