Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Helmet to Helmet communications

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet to Helmet communications

Who has the helmet to helmet communications? Which brand is best? Been looking at the chatterbox but what do you think?

Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

I have been mulling over a similar purchase and since we want to communicate between two or more quads, I have been looking at the many "Family Band" radios available at Cabelas in different brands, styles and price points that are capable of helmet mount...sadly there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there to help make a wise choice.
One reason I am looking at Cabelas is their excellent no questions return policy. You can try different models to get the best for your needs!

If your looking at a 2-up, (rider-to-passenger), situation then a trip over to one of the many excellent motorcyle forums may be informative since these guys seem to have this nailed!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

Check out this company, based in Vancouver Canada. Their systems use FRS radios. I have several of their headsets, and they work, even at freeway speeds on the motorcycle.

http://www.torkworld.com/

Old 02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

I have Collett and they work well. May still have a sale on for 169.00. Clear, good range, VOX, rechargeable batteries.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have the Chatterboxes and swap them from the street helmets to off road. They do work good and have a long range and many channels.
BUT they're expensive. You can get the Cardo Scala rider with bluetooth for less than half the price of the chatterbox.
I had an issue with the chatterbox. They make the brackets that attach to the helmet made to BREAK. Yep, they had a lawsuit where some kid hit a tree and the bracket didn't break and hurt the kids neck. After barely 3 months, I was lucky to notice the unit almost fell off my helmet. AND it's not covered under warranty. I threw a hissy fit and they sent me some new brackets and I made them stronger.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dogdaz

I have Collett and they work well. May still have a sale on for 169.00. Clear, good range, VOX, rechargeable batteries.</end quote></div>

i tried a set on our sleds this year and they sucked big time and have no range more them a 1/2 mile. maybe they would be better on wheelers but didnt work as good on the sleds. imo.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have the Collett and it works well. I've never used any of the other ones so I can't comment on how it compares. Only problem is when its cold out (&lt;10 degrees) the condensation from my breath freezes over the microphone.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know anything about Collett radios, but is it possible the radio batteries got cold on your sleds? The power output can get really low when batteries get cold.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

I bought the midland brand at gander mnt I think they were $50. They have worked perfect so far but I have only used them 3 or 4 times.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dogdaz

I have Collett and they work well. May still have a sale on for 169.00. Clear, good range, VOX, rechargeable batteries.</end quote></div>

i tried a set on our sleds this year and they sucked big time and have no range more them a 1/2 mile. maybe they would be better on wheelers but didnt work as good on the sleds. imo.</end quote></div>

What should you expect the range to be on these type of radio's?
A half mile sounds OK but not great by any means!

Quick Reply: Helmet to Helmet communications