Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XTR vs Zilla

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XTR vs Zilla

i know there is a lot of talk about the two but i have narrowed it down to these two tires. i have an 09 550 xp and its time for new tires. im keeping the stock rims so im looking at the XTR 27 9R 14 and the 27 11R 14 or the Zilla 27 10R 14 and the 27 12R 14. i have also thought about the the Zilla 26 9R 14 and 26 11R 14. i love the mud but i also do a lot of trail riding so im looking for a good all around tire.

i am realling likin the reviews on the Zilla but i am concerned about the tire rubbin the torsion bar. any help i would greatly appreciate.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:21 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'
Default XTR vs Zilla

Have you considered the ITP Terracross or the Interco Reptile?

The Zilla may be a little rough riding on the trails.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default XTR vs Zilla

from my readings the teracross is a good trail tire and i ride more mud then trail. reading about the zilla they say its made more for the trail compared to the mudzilla tire. does anyone have the zills? i havent read any thing about the reptile, ill have to look into that one. thanks

Old 02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default XTR vs Zilla

wlvrn - how did you like the Kenda Bearclaws? A review a read about a year ago that rated them on all condition (except snow/ice) said the Kenda's were the best all around tire. Obviously there are a lot of newer tires now that were not compared, just curiuos what you thought of the Bearclaws.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default XTR vs Zilla

the bearclaw is a great tire! great gripping power even in the snow. they clean out good too. i really like them but in the thick deep mud they couldnt pull me out. great all around tire, thats why i went with them. now im looking for something with more cos we have been hitting the thick mud a lot and i need something better in that mud

Old 02-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default XTR vs Zilla

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wlvrn

i am realling likin the reviews on the Zilla but i am concerned about the tire rubbin the torsion bar. any help i would greatly appreciate.</end quote></div>

Have you seen the thread I started about bending the sway bar to clear larger tires?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Range Rover
Default XTR vs Zilla

are the zillas radials??? and Rod they are a inch wider even if ya bent the sway bar would they fit???

Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default XTR vs Zilla

ho- i have read your post about the bending the bar. but like david say the zillas are an inch wider and i dont know if they will fit even with bending the bar.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default XTR vs Zilla

I just saw the 11" zillas..I didn't even catch the part about the 12's.sorry
They feasibly wouldn't fit by bending the sway bar..I mean that would be a pretty bent sway bar and I wouldn't chance trying to bend it that much..it might be able to be done..but you might end up with a broken sway bar and even if you didn't it would probably go through upper end link bushings at an accelerated rate.
BTW the 11" Zilla's only come in 26 and 28 I think.
If you want 12's you're probably going to either need spacers or a different wheel.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Default XTR vs Zilla

They may fit being they have the section width spec of 11" just like the bighorns, plus the Zillas don't have as much of a sidewall lug. I would go with 28's anyways because I hear they run short. A 28" Zilla is about as tall or just a tad taller than a 26" bighorn.

I wouldn't expect them to last as long as an XTR, but they will outperform them easily, except the high speed part. Then the radial may be better. The Zilla is also much lighter than an XTR.....plus it's a maxxis tire, not ITP. Big difference.

Quick Reply: XTR vs Zilla