Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front diff input seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front diff input seal leaking

I have a 2008 sportsman 500 ho and the front seal is leaking where the input shaft comes out of the front diff.It leaked 10 hrs after I bought it and had it fixed under warranty and it started it again a few months ago. I had it fixed again but had to pay for the parts.They did the work for free at the polaris dealership and now it is leaking a 3rd time with less than a 1/2 hr of time since I had it fixed.Does anybody know if this is a common problem and what might be causing the seal to leak?I talked to the dealership and they said the parts are under warranty but said I should give it a little more time and it might seat in.It does not have ADC so does it matter what fluid he put in? I have barley 66hrs and I cannot enjoy the machine because of the seal issue and don't feel confident about going on a long ride. He told me there is no way the fluid can all leak out,but I don't know if that is true.Of course I did not buy the extended warranty and have had nothing but problems with seal since it ran out of warranty.Any advice would be helpful!! He told me he only put 5oz in the diff so it should not be overfilled.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have the same machine 3000 miles no leaking seal so far , just check the front fluid regularly and top up when needed you should be fine until you once again replace that seal . Polaris should be paying the total bill maybe call them and discuss your on going issue . Just fill it till it runs out the fill hole and only use Polaris fluid that designed for your machine nothing else .

Old 02-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the exact same issue. 2008 Sportsman 700, front diff input shaft leak at about 10 hours. Seal replaced, started leaking again within the next 10 hours. Dealer determined the front drive shaft was slightly bent causing the seal failure. Dealer said this was a factory defect. They replaced the shaft and seal. No leaks after additional 30+ hours. All labor and parts was done under warranty.

When this first happened my reseach on various forums did not indicate this is a common problem. I purchased my 08 Sportsman in late 2007. I've loved it since new.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just remember if fluid is leaking out, water can leak in. i agree something is bent or out of round maybe where the seal can not make up the differnce. imo.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

Thank you for the info! I think I will be calling the Dealership back and talk to them. I now know I should have bought the extended warranty! I don't no If I will get another popo when I get the wife one if i'm stuck having to buy a new pinion gear! I wish the the mechanic had been more through when it first happened.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Range Rover

first i agree that it is still a warranty issue because it wasn't fixed right the first time......don't let off them!!!and second if seals blow it could be caused by plugged breathers!!check thempressure does build up with the expansion and contraction of the oil

Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

Hi, just to let you know that they have looked at and now think it is the cover that seal sits in.It is going to cost 90.00 for the cover but the labor at the shop will be for free.Do you guys think it could be the cover that the seal sits in? I would hate to have to buy a new part just to try it nad see it fail again. Could they use a mic and determine if it is out of round from specs? I hope it is the cover because that is alot cheaper that a front shaft. They tryed to warranty it with polaris but they said it was to far past the 6 month warranty. After only having 60 hrs of time and now 3 seals and no help from Polaris I don't think I could recommemed Polaris to a friend. I also think that my friends that have heard and seen my problem do not want to buy a Polaris for their new machine.The machine still looks brand new because it has only been riding around my 3 acres of property. Has anybody else had this same problem?? Thanks for all the info on here!!!! I still like my Polaris but hate that I cannot ride it. It has been at the shop for the last month. Thanks again!!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there was another memeber who has the same issue(i think) and had to change his a few times as well. cant remember what he ended up doing. maybe do a search and you'll find it.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What they told you about the seal seating and the leak might stop is pure BULL a leak does not fix itself. I would remind the dealer that they did the fix and it still leaks and they might of missed something but thats why you bring it to them. Also let them know that the money you gave them for your 08 will not go back to them in the future when you are looking for another machine.

The following users liked this post:
Alloutofdonuts (12-06-2020)
Old 04-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pinion on my 05 700 started to leak a few weeks ago. I replaced the pinion bearing, seal, and installed a speedi-sleeve on the pinion shaft. Problem solved...
I bought the front diff bearing kit from ALL ***** Racing. It includes 3 bearings and all of the seals. The speedi sleeve is part# 99098. I did all of the work myself for about $85...

The following users liked this post:
Alloutofdonuts (12-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Front diff input seal leaking