Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009 | 10:48 AM
|
Range Rover
Default 850 exhaust

Wondering if anybody has found any new exhaust systems for the 850 yet? Besides HMF.
I've seen a video of a GPR system but the 850 doesn't show up on their website.

Old 02-20-2009 | 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default 850 exhaust

Have you got a link to the video.

I have only seen the HMF.

Old 02-20-2009 | 01:21 PM
|
Range Rover
Old 02-20-2009 | 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default 850 exhaust

Looks ok, does not sound any lowder than stock. My HMF was not all that much lowder than stock, which really suprised me. It didn't make anymore power really eaither though, I would be suprised if that one in the video would be much better. I am actually planning to go back to stock with mine. I sent my stock pipe off to get ceramic coated after i made a little mod to the tail pipes.

Old 02-20-2009 | 01:34 PM
|
Range Rover
Default 850 exhaust

Did you clean up the weld bead on the inside of the pipe where it hooks to the head?

Old 02-20-2009 | 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default 850 exhaust

No, I am not expecting any gains, just better apperance once it has that ceramic chrome finsh on it. I just wanted the outlets to look a little better while I was at it. The pipe tips are about 3/4" larger than the oem exit tips and has the slash cuts in them as well. The whole mod is only costing me 75 bucks counting the ceramic coating.

Old 02-20-2009 | 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default 850 exhaust

That GPR sounds alot like my Big Gun

Old 02-20-2009 | 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default 850 exhaust

Kind of off topic but something to think about.. I have been spoiled over the years by N2O,Superchargers and Turbos..if you really want to make noticable power build the bottom end strong..set up the fuel system right and use a power adder...by the time you grind down every weld and port match everything,port the head,find the right cam..ect ect and find every ounce of NA power you will spend way more money than a power adder will cost and it will take more R&D...and you will make alot less power..I've done it both ways...the power adder is the way to go IMO...
If I decide to make my 850 a bonifide rocket..it'll be with a poweradder..
Adding a few bolt ons is fine..but then you start getting carried away in pursuit of the next 1/2 hp...

Each to there own..but I've been there and see the $$$$ add up...

Old 02-20-2009 | 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default 850 exhaust

I agree for the most part. I like the reliabilty of the NA setups, and with EFI, the power adders just seem to get that much more risky. I will be glad when we finally get to the top of this power and cc war. That way if you want to do some internal mods, you don't have to worry about some OEM coming out with somthing just as fast, that is right off the showroom floor. That has happened to me as well. I build up 800cc BB prarrie a few years ago, and then came the Outlander 800s that with a 200 dollar pipe was making the same hp, and had OEM reliabilty. I have a Outlander now built up to run pretty well with a 2 mm over bore high comp setup making 30% over stock power at the wheels. But I know its maybe 1-2 more years and they will have a 1000 out, that will be just as fast or close to it with nothing but a slip pipe to get it faster.

I think your right HO, the best way or cheapest way to go right now would be to take a carbed Kawi v-twin quad and spray the crap out of it, that would be the cheapest way to make a rocket. 5500 can buy a new brute 650 SRA, then 800 for a boondocker kit, add a pipe and K&N filter jet kit. You then have a brand new quad faster than most for under 7K. No EFI, no dual mapping just a basic old school setup. You could even take a old used one that is in good shape and do the same thing for maybe under 4g counting the cost of the used quad. You can get wrapped up in motor modds alone that much money easy on these new big EFI quads just trying get it close to keeping up with the old school quad I was describing .

Old 02-20-2009 | 04:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default 850 exhaust

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cc1999

I agree for the most part. I like the reliabilty of the NA setups, and with EFI, the power adders just seem to get that much more risky. I will be glad when we finally get to the top of this power and cc war. That way if you want to do some internal mods, you don't have to worry about some OEM coming out with somthing just as fast, that is right off the showroom floor. That has happened to me as well. I build up 800cc BB prarrie a few years ago, and then came the Outlander 800s that with a 200 dollar pipe was making the same hp, and had OEM reliabilty. I have a Outlander now built up to run pretty well with a 2 mm over bore high comp setup making 30% over stock power at the wheels. But I know its maybe 1-2 more years and they will have a 1000 out, that will be just as fast or close to it with nothing but a slip pipe to get it faster.

I think your right HO, the best way or cheapest way to go right now would be to take a carbed Kawi v-twin quad and spray the crap out of it, that would be the cheapest way to make a rocket. 5500 can buy a new brute 650 SRA, then 800 for a boondocker kit, add a pipe and K&N filter jet kit. You then have a brand new quad faster than most for under 7K. No EFI, no dual mapping just a basic old school setup. You could even take a old used one that is in good shape and do the same thing for maybe under 4g counting the cost of the used quad. You can get wrapped up in motor modds alone that much money easy on these new big EFI quads just trying get it close to keeping up with the old school quad I was describing .</end quote></div>

True true...but if you don't like the rest of the bike as much as another what's the point right? The Xp really has the whole package..a turbo or spray can be reliable if done properly....and $ per HP will be less...that is a fact...NA power is expensive and more limited.

Quick Reply: 850 exhaust