Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 exhaust

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Kind of off topic but something to think about.. I have been spoiled over the years by N2O,Superchargers and Turbos..if you really want to make noticable power build the bottom end strong..set up the fuel system right and use a power adder...by the time you grind down every weld and port match everything,port the head,find the right cam..ect ect and find every ounce of NA power you will spend way more money than a power adder will cost and it will take more R&D...and you will make alot less power..I've done it both ways...the power adder is the way to go IMO...

If I decide to make my 850 a bonifide rocket..it'll be with a poweradder..

Adding a few bolt ons is fine..but then you start getting carried away in pursuit of the next 1/2 hp...

Each to there own..but I've been there and see the $$$$ add up...</end quote></div>

Nitrous would be ok, but what you save initially is quickly cancelled out by refills. I have played with nitrous before and its fun, no doubt.
The turbo option would be great except for the space requirements. The 850 lives in pretty tight quarters as it is. Not much room for additional plumbing/intercooler.

I'm hoping for an additional 10-15hp and I will be happy........for now!

Old 02-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default 850 exhaust

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WOLF1

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

Kind of off topic but something to think about.. I have been spoiled over the years by N2O,Superchargers and Turbos..if you really want to make noticable power build the bottom end strong..set up the fuel system right and use a power adder...by the time you grind down every weld and port match everything,port the head,find the right cam..ect ect and find every ounce of NA power you will spend way more money than a power adder will cost and it will take more R&D...and you will make alot less power..I've done it both ways...the power adder is the way to go IMO...

If I decide to make my 850 a bonifide rocket..it'll be with a poweradder..

Adding a few bolt ons is fine..but then you start getting carried away in pursuit of the next 1/2 hp...

Each to there own..but I've been there and see the $$$$ add up...</end quote></div>

Nitrous would be ok, but what you save initially is quickly cancelled out by refills. I have played with nitrous before and its fun, no doubt.

The turbo option would be great except for the space requirements. The 850 lives in pretty tight quarters as it is. Not much room for additional plumbing/intercooler.

I'm hoping for an additional 10-15hp and I will be happy........for now!</end quote></div>

2.5 # bottle? Refill your own...but yes that is a pain compared to not doing it..especially if you want to run a small hidden bottle..but if you ran a larger bottle refills would last alot longer..and there is plenty of room and weight cap. for a larger bottle if power is your priority.
The turbo can be done..I've put twins where you would swear there isn't enough room on cars...if guys can add snorkes to the 850 you can run a turbo...
if you gat a honest 10-15 to the wheels that is great! I'd also be interested in the cost for the average guy to do the same thing.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default 850 exhaust

Funny you mention bigger bottles and having room on utilty. I had 15 pound car bottle hidden the rear cargo box of this one. Plus a big bore kit. LOL

Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default 850 exhaust

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cc1999

Funny you mention bigger bottles and having room on utilty. I had 15 pound car bottle hidden the rear cargo box of this one. Plus a big bore kit. LOL

</end quote></div>

Yep with a 15#er you should be able to have alot of fun before needing to refill..especially if you run a heater..not sure how the charging system would like the heater but I'd say depending on which one you run as long as you keep the accessory use to a min it should be fine on the XP as it charges pretty well even at idle.