Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to the forum and this is my first Polaris.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum and this is my first Polaris.

Just wanted to say HI. I've been snooping around this forum since January which is when I bought my POPO. I am a long time Honda rider and they have served me well. I am originally from MN now living in SD, but I consider myself as a Minnesotan. Being from the land of 10,000 lakes, Polaris, Arctic cat, Best Buy, 3M, Toro, and many other woderful things. I really do not know why I did'nt look more into the American made wheelers when I bought my Hondas. I think it may have been due to a freind having a POPO and not liking it. He got rid of it after 6 months. So, I suppose that weighed in to my decision. One of my other freinds who is an engineer for Bobcat said he researched them all and Honda was the way to go. He bought two Foreman ES 450's so I figured he was serious. The Hondas are fun do what I need them to do and are very reliable.

I went into my multi brand dealer in Jan. looking for another rubi with a plow and a winch. I like the pod lights for working at night so that was a requirement. I also wanted power steering which is a new feature for the rubi. I asked the dealer if 09's had fuel ijection "NO". I am getting annoyed after 6 years with one and 3 years with two of babysitting them until they will idle unassisted. That's when the dealer showed me the POPO 550 XP EPS. It was all set up with everything but a rear box on the show room floor. The dealer is the same one one who sold me the Hondas, he swiched the key on and said to try the steering. "WOW!! thats going to be nice for plowing" I said. The dealer is also my freind K- present. He's partial to the YAMs, but the new XP has a hold on him too.

The red XP gleaming in the show room definately caught my eye. I like red, red lawn equipment (toro), red rubicons, red truck, red tractors, and my birthstone is red. Looking at the XP, the build quality and attention to detail was far better than the other brands IMO. The exhuast note for a 500 class engine is better than the comp. The sitting position is more comfortable than the others for my 6' 5" 270#'s. The ride is awesome and power is more than sufficient. After using it for little more than month I could not be more impressed. My only complaint is the stock tires could be alot more aggressive. 1 problem, the throttle cable jacket broke where it enters the handlebar control block it caused to rev higher turning either direction. The problem was quickly fixed under warranty and the cable looks to be thicker coated now.

I realize that Hondas are built here in SC but in this economy I also wanted to keep my money more local. If this this unit is half as dependable as the Hondas have been I will be happy. I will be making an effort to buy American as much as can. I'm talking from underwear and socks up to big purchases. While some things are way more expensive made here, you have to realize that your money is staying here. This POPO was $1,800 more than a comparable rubicon with all of same accessories. I paid more for the American made machine but realize that otherwise we all might as well said good bye to that money and sent it directly to Japan. All of the big money goes to the parent company. The workers only see wages which is a small% of the total machine. To all the workers that work in Japanese brand factories, if everyone bought American those same workers would work in American branded factories. It's that simple.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:21 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

You will like it. I have ridden a friends and it is an unbelievable machine.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Range Rover

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Congrats on your new "baby"! I am sure that you are going to really enjoy this Polaris. Mine still impresses me everytime I drive it. The stock tires are a disappointment, but other than that it is truely a masterpiece.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Hard to do in todays Global Economy.

43% US oil & natural gas come from Canada.
Fresh food in winter comes from Chile.
Beef & fresh water & lumber - Canada
Lamb & Mutton - Australia & New Zealand.
Cheap labour that make products for WalMart to sell for less comes from China & Mexico.

And the list goes on.

If the US practices protectionism, it causes shortage of the materials above and the price to the American consumer goes up anyways and when the prices rise, people stop buying, and when people stop buying, workers get laid off.

Its a noble thought that you've expressed but its just plainly to late for that type of action.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Actually, now would be a good time to start. We can keep our trade with those who fair trade with us. The key is "FAIR" trade. You buy so much from us we buy so much from you $ for $. Since the BSE (mad cow) scare very little beef comes from Canada. I like Canada they are our neighbor. They say using methods some are developing they will be able to produce bio-alcohol for $1.25/gallon sustainably. This without all of the water it takes to produce ethonol. Ethanol takes a bad rap for increasing the cost of food. What most people don't realize is ethanol corn is not the same as ""corn flake corn. Totally different genetics and while is does compete with "corn flake" in terms acres planted that impact is minimal. The "Less grain for the livestock" theory does not hold water either. The by product of ethanol is distillers grain or wet feed way better food for cattle in terms of digestabillity= quicker rate of gain = more money made. Fuel/ energy and inflated cost of everything because of it is what put us where we are. Plus some of us living beyond our means has not helped. It's funny we can still ship our resources overseas they make it into something and ship it back cheaper than we can make it here. Doesn.t have to be this way.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

So much to think about. I think if the media toned down the doom and gloom rhetoric, things would come back to all of us a lot faster.

I've heard we're all in a rescession but I've decided not to participate in it. I'll live as I always have and not wait for someone else to solve my problems.

AN'y ways enjoy your new atv and have fun.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Trailblazer

Mega XP what part of sd are you from? sounds like sioux falls area from dealer discription.I live in southeast sd.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: opie1har

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your new "baby"! I am sure that you are going to really enjoy this Polaris. Mine still impresses me everytime I drive it. The stock tires are a disappointment, but other than that it is truely a masterpiece.</end quote></div>

I can only imagine, from what I have read, how awesome the 850 is power wise. I have ridden 500 ho's /efi's and know the 550 has quite a bit more. I've seen here and other forums that XP suspensions are making noise. Does yours? Mine does it has about a 190 miles on it. What mileage does this go away? No big deal only hear when going really slow or when get on/off.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have a noise coming from the rear when crusing along?? And I don't mean the exhaust.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Actually sdbowcrazy I bought the POPO in MN from a school buddy. I'm in Northern South East SD. If that gives you an idea.

Quick Reply: New to the forum and this is my first Polaris.