Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rotopax or Kolpin gas can

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fishy, the green cans look good. I almost went with them but chickened out and went with the red, now that I see your photos I'm sorry I did.

I used those Kolpin mounts on my old quad and on some rocky terrain the bolts broke causing me to unknowingly drag the large kolpin pack along the ground. Many holes ensued including one spewing gas about an inch from my exhaust. You might want want to add something to stabilize the vertical section and reduce the vibration. If you zoom in on the attached image you'll see that it didn't take much, but it made a huge difference.

I also see that you have a small windshield on your quad, with a couple of devices mounted behind it - I think one is a Magellan GPS ?? what is the other device?

Attached Thumbnails rotopax or Kolpin gas can-kolpin-mounts.jpg  
Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Here's my mounts:

Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MickJP
You might want want to add something to stabilize the vertical section and reduce the vibration. If you zoom in on the attached image you'll see that it didn't take much, but it made a huge difference.

I also see that you have a small windshield on your quad, with a couple of devices mounted behind it - I think one is a Magellan GPS ?? what is the other device?
I like the idea of adding additional bracing. I have never had an issue in 2 quads approx 3000 miles but I think the cargo box also assists, but I think I will look into adding an easy brace, I have a few ideas floating already.

Thanks.

The one on the left is an Otterbox Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word  armor case and the other is for a lowrance iFinder H20c. I removed 1 windshield bolt on each side and then took my RAM handlebar mount and fit it onto the bolt, I then drilled an additional hole and added another bolt on both sides. Nice and secure and it removes with the windshield. No extra clutter on the handlebars. I have an extra set of the ram handlebar mounts on my tall winter windshield, just swap the gear and go, takes under 5 minutes.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dang, and I thought I was bad about keeping my quad clean...oh well I guess I'll get the soap and wax out and work through the weekend, so much for 4 wheel'n.

Keith

Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 700 sportsman
That was me with the lid cable, here are some more pics for ya

yup i thought about a cable. but as i said in a thread i started. i dont like to drill any more holes than it has to be. i like to use whats there. then if it dont work. and worst comes to worst ill drill a hole. but i make 100% shure i want it there and check and recheck over and over and maybe evon sleep on it. but i will be useing pieces of rachet straps. use the storeage box main mount bolts. one on each side. then use the rail bolts on on each side to mount the straps to with fender washers. and pop holes in the straps. put a fender washer on each side. good work tho on yours!

Originally Posted by MickJP
Primer7 is my riding buddy so I've seen his installation - nice clean job. He also added rubber strips on top of the aluminium (after he took the photos). I'm thinking of using some carpet strips.

Chuck, the mounts are not threaded. Not sure what you'd countersink unless you use a thick piece of aluminium. Otherwise make sure you use rounded head bolts as the heads will be under the tanks, and the nuts go inside the storage box. Use large washers so it doesn't wear out the plastic underneath.

Before you drill the plate make sure you leave enough clearance for the headlight to move with the handlebars. I'm just hoping that I can keep my rack extender!

The other thing to consider is adding a cable that prevents the lid from breaking the hinges when open with the extra load on it. I remember seeing photos on the forum of someone who had done it. I thought it was a good idea. I think he attached it to the plastic inside the box, but I'm probably going to tie it off to the main bolts that hold the box on.

Don't mean to be patronizing, but it might save you some time.

Chuck, as for waiting for the tanks, I know what you mean; I ordered mine on Monday and UPS tracking has me on schedule for delivery tomorrow, but I'm only one state away. I want to get them installed by the weekend. By the way, did you get Jason to include the free water tank?
yup i liked the idea he had. as i did some what the same idea cept i used 2 pieces of alum insted of one.

i was hopeing the mount bases had threads in them so i could run a machine screw though and grind it flush on the base. but on the thread i started on my mounts. i used i beleve it is 3/16" thick alum. only paid $15 for both. i used all stainless steel screws. and nylon spacers. everything is counter sunk or least flush. this way the screw heads wont wear on the rack or the rotopax gas packs. i evon rounded off all the alum edges with a file. ya i spent some time on it. kinda wish the front rack was lock and ride. then i didnt have to leave the mounts on there. but oh well. the rotopaks are heavy duty and if need ill just stack on top. i also made shure it didnt hit the headlight when turning, and i didnt add wasers on the other side but i may just add a regular stainless washer on each rail/alum mount bolt on the inside of the rack.

no i didnt get the water tank. i didnt know about it being free? when was it free?

i did get some what of a discount. since ebay was cheaper i emailed him my offer and he pretty much accepted it. i saved about $20. not a whole lot. but its something.

but heres mine mounted...
Name:  DSC01327.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  165.5 KB
Name:  DSC01323.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  190.7 KB
Name:  DSC01325.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  248.2 KB
and the alum and mounts..
Name:  DSC01331.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  171.6 KB
Name:  DSC01328.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  179.3 KB
Name:  DSC01329.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  108.2 KB
Name:  DSC01330.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  105.8 KB
Name:  DSC01332.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  108.1 KB

i am also thinking about now getting 4 longer stainless screws and mounting the oem bases back under the stands....... hummmm

i will add pics of the support straps when i get them on in a few days.

i just thought sbout this. soon there wont be much for me to add. ill have to get a new wheeler and start over. lol

Old 06-05-2009, 04:02 AM
Range Rover

See rtickwads comments on page 6 of this thread (3/10/09). I also confirmed with Jason over the phone. At one point it was offered on Rotopax's main web page.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Pro Rider

i just sent an email to him. see what he says. that be nice tho.... fill it with ice and water for the hot rides, or frezz it some what.... that go good on a long ride....

but guess see what he says ill probly hear nback in a few hrs. hes usaly pretty good on replys.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by chuck_raduenz
i just thought sbout this. soon there wont be much for me to add. ill have to get a new wheeler and start over. lol
Looking good Chuck.

I thought the same about my wheeler, I have most possible options.... what will I do with my spare time when not working or riding.