Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Frayed winch cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frayed winch cable

So, my winch cable is frayed in the first 1-2 feet from plowing this winter. Can I cut the frayed portion off and reattached the hook or is best to get a new cable?

If I can cut the frayed portion out how do I make a new loop and reattach the hook? What tools do I need and will the loop/hook/cable be safe under load?

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Range Rover

few options-replace it with a synthetic(which i just did), replace the wire rope, or look in your area for a repair place. in our town we have a rigging (crane) service that can repair cables and install eyelets. i work as a rigger for a crane outfit and we have slings made all of the time. i would be very sceptical about trying to repair it yourself. if done improperly, it will not have the proper strength. best and easiest bet is to replace and i would use a synthetic if you plow alot.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

You can fix it yourself.
1 Wrap the cable in duct tape where you want it cut.
2 cut with grinder (in a vise of coarse and in middle of tape)
3 Place at least 3 cable clamps (probably 3/16th but take your cable with you to the hardware store to get the right size and get the right and enough to be in the weight range of your winch)
4 Use the steel loop cable protector for original hook point and wrap your cable around it.
5 slide the clamp down and tighten.

Keep duct tape, good cable cutter and soccet to tighten nuts on the clamps in case you would happen to pull through the clamps. I have had this happen once in many fixes it no big deal. It does not come snapping back at you or any thing.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

but with those clamps, you are crimping the cable lowering the strength of the winch line making it dangerous for you or others when using the winch. the "proper" fix is to replace or take it somewhere and have a new eye installed with the "proper" equipment. not saying the clamps will not hold, but it crushes the cable making it the weak link. my .02 worth.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Hey I have a frayed part too. Its about
15ft into the cable from the hook. I was
wondering what I might do to repair it?

If only the SAFEST and SUREST way is
to replace I will do that. But it would be
nice to set it for a while. I was just thinking
of trimming the frayed out wire and wrapping
with duct tape. I don't use mine much only if
getting STUCK in the deep stuff. not too often..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
and for future plowing but not enough winch cable
would come out to expose that FRAY when I do
that anyways. -- Thoughts on that?

Good thread!

Regards,

R'

Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer

Hmm, repair or replace? I can get a new 50ft cable for $39.99. Or I can cut and clamp my old cable. I could get a synthetic rope but it is my understanding I may need to replace a few other parts on my winch so I don't cut/fray the synthetic rope. I've also heard that synthetic rope sometimes gets frozen on the drum in the winter depending on the conditions.

What do you guys think about this? My machine (SP 500) is used 95% of the time for work around my land. I could keep my current cable for plowing in the winter, cut and clam as needed knowing that it only needs to lift and lower the plow. Then get a new cable for summer use when winching heavier loads is the norm.

How difficult is it to put a new cable on the drum? I have a Warn 2500lb.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

The proper fix would be to get a new one but you don't always have the luxury of being right by the dealer when it breaks. And for plowing you can break the cable multiple times per day. That would run into a lot of $$$ if you went and got a new one every time you broke the hook off. If you break it Friday cant fix it till Monday there are advantages to fixing it yourself. Rockout is right about pinching the cable and making it weak. When tightening the clamps you want to look at the cable and make sure that you are not crushing it.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rockout

few options-replace it with a synthetic(which i just did)

rockout what do you think of your synthetic? Been thinking of that for the plows but also am worried about the freezing on the spool thing.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

RtickKwad you have at least cut it back to the fray. Having a fray between you and the hook is the most dangerous under load. If you repair with clamps on the end it will just pull through if you exceed the clamps holding power. This is the same way the are designed from the factory. The crimp is supposed to fail before the cable does assuming your cable is good condition. If the crimp does not fail beforre the cable then instead of the end pulling through the cable pretty much explodes. NOT COOL!!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Range Rover

for plowing i have a short synthetic. resembles a seatbelt material. super strong, never had a problem freezing at all, although, it does sit in a heated garage and is able to dry out overnight. i have a wire rope on my arctic cat and it is all messed up from plowing with it. i am going to replace it and the fairlead with a synthetic here real soon. i work with wire rope all day and do not care for it. i prefer synthetic rope much more than wire.

Quick Reply: Frayed winch cable