Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant

I and my wife were riding in some snow today since it snowed and we rode up the rode about 1.5 miles and I started to smoke, looked down and it was coolant running out of the over flow snokle. Why? I have a temp gauge and it read 180 and the hot light won't on. After I watched all of the water flow out of the over flow the fan came on and started trying to suck what was left back in. The wifes started to do the same thing. I refilled the bikes went down the rode watching the temp gauge 120 and when we would stop the gauge would slowly rise till the fan cut on and we would watch the coolant rise up and out of the overflow then the fan would come on and what was left would suck back up into the radiator. Why is this?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coolant

How do the radiator's look? Are they clean or plugged with mud? Just something to look at...

Good luck...

biz

Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default coolant

All is clean. I forgot to mention that I flushed them both out and added temp gauges and refilled about a week ago. We rode them on a Sunday and noticed that the level in the bottles kept on droping and then I started to watch everything and saw that this was going on.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default coolant

You might have air in your system which needs to be bleed out .

Elevate your front end (park on a hill) and let the machine warm up. Squeeze your coolant hoses coming from the engine. Top up your fluid via the radiator cap. Repeat several times. This will ensure you get all your air pockets out.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default coolant

avtgooroo - for what it's worth - a while back it was really cold out and I noted that me coolant level was low. I had recently added the temp sensor mod and though I didn't think I lost more than a tablespoon I topped off to be safe adding maybe 1/2 cup to bring it to the max line. I did this when the machine was cold and it was real cold out.

Well the next time I rode I noted that I was pushing coolant out. I'm guessing that I wasn't really low it was just showed low because it was sooo cold out. When I topped off I acutally over filled it.

Come spring I'm going to adjust the coolant to the correct level.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default coolant

Been trying to get air out. how do I know when I got it out? Will the level in the neck of the radiatior quit dropping when the fan cuts on? Now with the cap off and the engine running when the fan cuts on the fluid level drops, is it supposed to remain at the top of the neck when the fan cycles on and off?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Default coolant

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atv gooroo

Been trying to get air out. how do I know when I got it out? Will the level in the neck of the radiatior quit dropping when the fan cuts on? Now with the cap off and the engine running when the fan cuts on the fluid level drops, is it supposed to remain at the top of the neck when the fan cycles on and off?</end quote></div>

Doing what you have done should have all the air out! This is how I bleed one,leave cap off while running,when thermostat opens and fan kicks on,coolant usually sucked down,remaining air usually purged out!. Top off radiator, Replace cap,top off coolant resevoir bottle.

Trending Topics

Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default coolant

I think that I might have got it after about 5 hours of work last night. I had to keep driveing it up the road at about 30 miles an hour and then stop to only watch the coolant spew out of the radiatior and then turn around and start sucking it. I had to but a bottle on the overflow tube to keep catching the coolant. I finally was able to drive up the road and back and watch it rise up and out of the rad tube to the bottle and then start to suck it back out with out it over flowing through the snorkel tube and with out draining the bottle. Is this how it is supposed to work? Does the coolant always rise when it starts to get hot and then when the fan cuts on it starts to suck it in? I also took the hose off the recovery bottle and just stuck it in a coke bottle on the rack and then unplugged the fan switch so that the fan would not come on and let is get hot and could watch tiny bubbles run out of the tube into the coke bottle. I did this with the cap on tight. Was this air that was in the system or was it just created from the water getting ready to boil?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default coolant

Bump