Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rotopax tank mount options

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotopax tank mount options

I am going to order some Rotopax tanks and take advantage of their generous 20% discount offered to the group. Looks like a real nice product with the original manufacturing process allowing full threading around spigot, made in USA, direct communication through the forum with the manufacturer and nice optional containers beyond just fuel.

I think I want to mount the two tanks on the rear of my quads. I have a rear rack extender and I would like to use there L-Bracket mount and attach the mounts to the rear flat horizontal rack in such a way so the upright piece of the mount is outside of the rear extender. This would have the two tanks at the very back of the quad in an upright position.

I was wondering if anyone else has mounted them this way on the new quick mount Polaris racks and how that is working out for them? Does the L-bracket distribute the load enough so as to not destroy the rear rack with all the bouncing around with a full tank hanging of the back. Seems that due to the angles there would be alot of stress on the rack.

Also if anyone has that rear type mount and a rigid Polaris rear box, if so is there enough room between the tanks and the rear box's clasps that secure the cover closed?

Last question is it worth trying to position the mounting brackets so the two tanks can be interlocked or leave some space between them. I am thinking the interlocked may provide additional stability when the quad is bouncing around.

Worse case is I simply strap them down on either the front or rear racks or a set of flay mounts on the cover of the rear rigid box. That will add alot of weight to the box rear box cover. I have a front box but I think the tanks might mount a little high on top of them.

thanks in advance for any input.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Good questions RUGGO! I'd be interested to see what people come up with. That would be my
application as well. I have the rear rack extender and the rear cargo box. From the pics on their
site when you see the sportsman with the rear box and tank mounted behind it, I get the impression
that the L-shaped mounts fasten flat to the plastic rack and then come up under the rack extender
to ALLOW it mounted outside the rack extender Vs. inside to fit the REAR CARGO BOX.

At least that is the HOPE!

Regards,

R'

Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just mount the brackets to the plastic rack. That way no issues with it getting loose.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

Just placed an order ..... I'll post some pics and info on how I mounted them.

- brian

Old 03-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did u also get the plastic mounting brackets?

Old 03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Banned

would like to see those pics. curious myself

Old 03-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MrThor

Did u also get the plastic mounting brackets?</end quote></div>

I purchased 2 metal L-brackets to use for mounting. I also bought a single gas tank and the first aid kit. If I like the mount setup I plan on ordering 2 additional fuel tanks and mounting brackets for my 850.

- brian

Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

I have Kolpin gas packs on my XPs - not Rotopax, but I would think that the mounting brackets are pretty similar. I wish I had known about the Rotopax when I purchased the Kolpins as I would have bought them. My Wife's quad has just a rack extender while I have the Polaris Lock & Ride pack, so each gas pack is mounted a little differently.

MrsBMQ's

<span class="FTHighlightFont"></span ft>
The Kolpin mounting bracket came with the bolts & brackets. I can't vouch for how long the rack extender will hold up - it's made of plastic. We did ride 115 miles last Sunday and it did not loosen up a bit

Mine

I bolted the mounting bracket directly to the pack. 2 bolts with spacers in the top section and 4 screws up from the bottom. I cut a piece of wood that I put inside the pack that the bottom screws screw into so that there is nothing in the pack to catch & tear the contents.

The rubber lock & ride clamps clearly are not strong enough to hold the cargo box AND the gas pack, so I took the back plastic off, put 2 bolts through the metal brace & left them hanging out the back. I then put 2 eye bolts on the bottom of the gas bracket. These to eyebolts slide right over the 2 bolts sticking out the back of the quad. A couple of wing nuts & washers holds the bracket to the quad & still allows for the cargo box to come off in 30 seconds or less.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Very innovative BlueManQuad!

Thanks for the pics and all the mounting tips my friend!

R'

Old 03-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for posting the pics BlueManQuad. I am thinking that I am probably going to do some custom fab work to get it right. The direct mount to the rear extender is convenient and will probably be fine for a single tank, but I think hanging two tanks off it may be a problem.

Quick Reply: Rotopax tank mount options