Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Loud clicking noise coming from back wheel area

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud clicking noise coming from back wheel area

just had the bike jacked up and while i was spinning the back wheels im pretty sure the noise was coming from my being lose.

i guess my question now is how would i tighten the chain?

didnt check the roller yet im going to figure out how to tighten the chain first, if the noise continues im going to check that next.

thanks for the help and any suggestions are appreciated im kinda new to working on my atvs, i usally just take them in but i would like to avoid paying for labor anymore.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Loosen two bolts on rear axle and turn eccentric with large pair of channel locks or there is a hole in the eccentric to stick a punch thru the sprocket and turn the wheels.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Kerbbirds

Loosen two bolts on rear axle and turn eccentric with large pair of channel locks or there is a hole in the eccentric to stick a punch thru the sprocket and turn the wheels.</end quote></div>

what exactly is the eccentric

Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

eccentric means the hole in the hub is off centre so by rotating 180 deg there is an inch or more difference between the 2 sprockets. If still hard to move after bolts loosened, what I did originally was to use a drift to lightly hammer on the 2 lugs on the bearing casing. Not sure if recommended but worked for me

Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: broski

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Kerbbirds

Loosen two bolts on rear axle and turn eccentric with large pair of channel locks or there is a hole in the eccentric to stick a punch thru the sprocket and turn the wheels.</end quote></div>

what exactly is the eccentric</end quote></div>
i figured out what bolts to losen up but i tried spinning my wheels both ways with no luck then i tried rolling the bike both ways but i couldnt get it to tighten. i wasnt sure what hole in the eccentric to put the punch through so i may have been doing it wrong. i rode it around a bit and the noise was still there.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: thedoc

eccentric means the hole in the hub is off centre so by rotating 180 deg there is an inch or more difference between the 2 sprockets. If still hard to move after bolts loosened, what I did originally was to use a drift to lightly hammer on the 2 lugs on the bearing casing. Not sure if recommended but worked for me</end quote></div>

did you jack it up and spin the wheels to tighten the chain or roll the bike itself just wondering the best way ive heard of both being done?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

On my trailblazer you also need to loosen the two rear brake caliper mount bolts.

To get proper chain adjustment, use a tie down between rear of frame & rear of swing arm & compress the rear down as far as possible. Adjust the eccentric till chain has just a very little slack.

This will make sure the chain wont stretch or break when landing hard from jumping etc.

A chain tensioner is a great add on as well.--Proflow